6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   Bentley Cars In Snow (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/232474-bentley-cars-snow.html)

stevenrmusic 12-27-2010 12:02 PM

Bentley Cars In Snow

2 Attachment(s)
So how is the Bentley in the snow? Have Blizzak LM60 tires here and will find out shortly :)

stevenrmusic 12-27-2010 02:07 PM

Just did my first winter dive, the car is great in the snow! Of course had some fun in a few open parking lots with the traction control off :) Those darn Jeeps and slower Soccer Mom cars were holding me back so had to pass them.

Am very impressed with the Bentley, great car!

F430Spider 12-27-2010 08:26 PM

Not w my Rossos!! Got stuck for an hour in the snow! Needed some winter tires!

stevenrmusic 12-28-2010 04:47 AM

Get the Blizzaks as imho they are the best unstudded tires. Had them on the Ferrari and not only for winter driving... did iced over lake driving too with them :) Iced over lakes are perhaps one of the best car control 'clinics'.

wpgfordguy 12-28-2010 06:17 AM

Blizzak FTW, from the guy who has winter for 8 months of the year :D

An Acquaintance of mine drives his GT year round as well,

rvhpno80 12-28-2010 07:28 AM

so how did it turn our getting around in all this snow? and how many inches of snow did you guys get.....

stevenrmusic 12-28-2010 08:16 AM

About 12 to 18 inches here, drove on plowed down to about 3 inches or so with spots of clear road and spots of about 5 inches of snow. Easily got out of the 12-inch snowed driveway to let the plow guy do his job.

teflon_jones 12-28-2010 08:54 AM

It seems like whoever buys Blizzaks the first time they need performance snow tires always swear they're the best, and the same for people that buy Dunlops (like me). :)

Awesome to see a Bentley out in the snow!!! :)

stevenrmusic 12-28-2010 09:51 AM

Debated getting Nokian tires (Hakkapeliitta R Nordic studless with 97R rating) as Europeans love them, yet the 'problem' with the B is its sheer weight and tires that are spec'ed for such weight. The Hakkapeliitta R Nordic studless handle around 1600 lbs of weight, yet as i never used them so was cautious. Nokian has wider tires that are rated at 100R in their 19-inch range, yet wider is NOT better for snow.

In the local iced lake racing league here they put those with Blizzaks in a different category. i asked why, and they said Blizzaks are better than other non-studed yet not as good as studded (studded was top/fast category).

Though yes, have used Blizzaks on three vehicles and never had problems so it is indeed 'go with what you know' plus the LM60 is blended for higher performance cars so... What i can say is that my testing yesterday proved to me they indeed work well and offer predictable and smooth situations in the snow when the grip does finally give way. The traction control in the 2006 CGT does let you 'play' with spin a bit it seems before it intervenes. ABS, on the other hand, may be very 'invasive'. During my 'test' also worked at seeing how much brake pedal was good until slip/ABS chimed in.

teflon_jones 12-28-2010 10:31 AM

I'm Finnish so you'd think I'd buy the Nokians, but like you said, you go with what you know. I've had the Dunlop Winter Sports on...... I don't know how many cars, and I've always loved them.

F430Spider 12-28-2010 05:17 PM

soon as i buy em the snow will stop forever!

gsrjc 12-29-2010 09:40 AM

i'm surprised you guys would take out these supercars in the winter let alone put snow tires on them.... that is awesome.

iJeremy 12-29-2010 09:51 AM

The Blizzaks are outstanding... They have turned one of my Audi's into an all-year car that would have otherwise been put away until spring. Tough to put a price on that!

stevenrmusic 12-29-2010 02:22 PM

gsrjc, always drive all my cars all year around. Tires make the difference! Best time i had in the Ferrari, besides track days at NHMS, WGI, LRP, etc, was frozen over ice lake fun. Sure public road grand touring is great, yet a Ferrari belongs on the track :)

iJeremy, my friends with Audi cars say they are excellent in the snow/ice. Since Audi and Bentley are both part of the VW Group... So yes the CGT should, by extension, also be great. Have fun in the Audi, great vehicles those Audis.

wishiwasincali 12-30-2010 01:24 AM

I have Blizzaks and nothing stops my and my Bentley snow or rain!