6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   summary of Continental GT changes by model year (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/235913-summary-continental-gt-changes-model-year.html)

diablo1 02-06-2011 03:49 PM

summary of Continental GT changes by model year

Hi all - I'm a new member and considering getting a used GT later on this year. I searched around on the web, and this seems to be the most active Bentley forum - actually the only one that gets more than one or two posts a month - so here I am. I've seen a couple people ask what changes have been made to the car's specs over the years, but never saw a complete answer, so I wanted to share what I've found out so far. Please let me know any corrections/additions if you have them!

-First model year of Bentley Continental GT production

-Electronic trunk open/close switch becomes standard (had been optional on 2004 model)

-Carbon ceramic brakes (first time ever for Bentley), 20-in wheels, and new paint colors available as part of Diamond Series package
-Added soft-close doors and keyless start/stop
-Bluetooth optional

-Navigation system changed from multiple CDs to single DVD
-Added Bluetooth phone support as standard
-Convertible model (GTC) introduced

-Most significant "refresh" until 2012 model
-Improved suspension, steering, and cooling systems
-Curb weight dropped by 79 lbs, from 5,259 lbs to 5,180 lbs (from 2,385 kg to 2,350 kg)
-Trip computer, Bluetooth, analog dashboard clock all revised
-Satellite radio now standard equipment
-Rearview camera and 3-spoke steering wheel now options; carbon ceramic brakes available as stand-alone option
-Exterior styling changes include more upright, squared-off center grille, wider front air intake, and chrome around the headlights
-Diamond Series no longer available; GT Speed version introduced

-Mostly cabin tech upgrades
-Optional adaptive cruise control
-Native iPod adapter (old one treats iPod songs as CD tracks)
-Optional upgraded 13-speaker Naim audio system
-Park distance control becomes standard
-GTC Speed version available

-Supersports and Series 51 versions introduced

-No model year 2011 vehicles were produced

-Completely reworked model with new exterior styling, interior design, and cabin tech
-Output increased from 552 to 567 bhp and 479 to 516 lb-ft torque
-Curb weight reduced from 5,180 lbs to 5,115 lbs (2,320 kg)
-Available as a coupe or convertible

-V8 model will be introduced, with twin turbos, 500 bhp, 486 lb-ft torque, and 8-speed transmission
-V8 model will weigh 55 lbs less than the W12
-V8 will be available in both the coupe and convertible
-Expected availability: fall 2012

FYI, I'm coming off of a 2009 Audi S5 (lease is up later this year), also considering an Audi RS5 or Mercedes CL550. I like the AWD 4-seat coupes. ;) Cheers!

djantlive 02-06-2011 03:58 PM

nice write up. best value of CGT are those 2004 and 2005 ones going for 70-80k. great cars if you dont need nav and bt - the stock unit is rather useless.

diablo1 02-06-2011 04:02 PM

Ya, I'm surprised you can get a car like this with low miles for $80k or less. I'd love to splurge for a 2008 and get all those improvements, but that is prob a little above my budget. Oh well, guess I'll be using my phone as a nav unit... :)

djantlive 02-06-2011 04:59 PM

the 2008 nav is still a pos. no touch screen and address entry is harder than looking it up on a paper map.

diablo1 02-06-2011 08:24 PM

Ha. It's the same with the S5 - the nav is far and away the weakest aspect of the model. I don't know why these cars can't have a nav as good as my first car, 2006 Lexus IS. A $30k Japanese car had a better nav 5 years ago than these fancy European ones do now. Oh well... I still wouldn't trade back. :)

diablo1 02-06-2011 09:33 PM

I found this similar thread from a while back and updated the list above accordingly.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...years-cgt.html

kensilver 02-07-2011 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by diablo1 (Post 3115670)
Ha. It's the same with the S5 - the nav is far and away the weakest aspect of the model. I don't know why these cars can't have a nav as good as my first car, 2006 Lexus IS. A $30k Japanese car had a better nav 5 years ago than these fancy European ones do now. Oh well... I still wouldn't trade back. :)

I had a 2007 LS600hL and the nav was OK, but my iPhone TomTom blew it away. The Conti is about the same level... not that great.

Can't figure out why the big guys can't license decent satnav software instead of building proprietary (and useless) mapware.

diablo1 02-07-2011 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by kensilver (Post 3116730)
I had a 2007 LS600hL and the nav was OK, but my iPhone TomTom blew it away. The Conti is about the same level... not that great.

Can't figure out why the big guys can't license decent satnav software instead of building proprietary (and useless) mapware.

Agreed! That would make so much more sense. It would also be cool if they could make the in-dash units detachable, so you could hook them up to your computer to program routes and whatnot.

By the way I think I remember you from ClubLexus way back in the day...? How are you liking the GT?

kensilver 02-07-2011 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by diablo1 (Post 3116738)
...By the way I think I remember you from ClubLexus way back in the day...? How are you liking the GT?

Haven't visited ClubLexus for a while - Lexi tend not to have any issues and I just enjoy them as luxurious utilities.

The GT is probably the best car I've owned. I've just spent 5 minutes being mesmerized by the soft-close coat hangers...the build quality everywhere on this automobile is simply great and the interior is stunning. I like how it looks completely up to date with the perfect styling blend of metal, leather and wood.

It doesn't get the same appreciation from others as my late Vanquish did, but there is a huge difference in the way they both handle and drive. I gave up the Aston without too much regret because it became an issue to drive in the city with the clutch system and body overhang causing parking problems. I didn't even park anywhere in the end, just used it for Sunday drives out and back.

By comparison the Bentley loves low speed, though I have yet to parallel park it. And on the highway it just sings, trundling along until I decide to do some rapid passing and give the twin turbos a workout for a couple of seconds.

Everyone knows the positives of the CGT so I won't go into that, but the only 2 negatives for me are the firm seats and sometimes at city speeds the exhaust note gets a little monotonous and throbby. There is a pedal for that though! :)

diablo1 02-07-2011 09:07 PM

Thanks for the reply. I feel the GT design has really held up well too... As evidenced by the new 2011 model, which is not radically different, considering it's an 8-yr-old design. The only part that maybe has not withstood the test of time is the electronics, but there is not much you can do about that. (I mean in 2006 the iPhone didn't even exist!)

If I could ask you one more thing - how have you found the maintenance costs to be? Have you had any major work done, and if so, was it expensive? That is my other main concern with this car (aside from outdated electronics). Thank you!

kensilver 02-07-2011 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by diablo1 (Post 3116846)
...The only part that maybe has not withstood the test of time is the electronics, but there is not much you can do about that. (I mean in 2006 the iPhone didn't even exist!)

I set up a new Sim card for the Nokia phone that came with it, just to have everything going, but like the satnav, radio and CD player - I'll never use them. I just like driving.

Originally Posted by diablo1 (Post 3116846)
If I could ask you one more thing - how have you found the maintenance costs to be? Have you had any major work done, and if so, was it expensive? That is my other main concern with this car (aside from outdated electronics). Thank you!

Since I've owned it for just over a month I can't say what the running costs or repairs are. But I did a lot of research before I bought it and there appear to be few mechanical issues anywhere. The engine seems to be bulletproof, as does the transmission.

I've owned a few high end cars over many years and never had any major costs, ever, on Aston, many Mercedes or several Lexi (of course).

diablo1 02-07-2011 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by kensilver (Post 3116865)
I set up a new Sim card for the Nokia phone that came with it, just to have everything going, but like the satnav, radio and CD player - I'll never use them. I just like driving.

Fair enough. That is where our tastes diverge, though... I like to have my gadgets, even in the car. :) I'd miss iPod hookup, backup cam, and modern nav especially.

Since I've owned it for just over a month I can't say what the running costs or repairs are. But I did a lot of research before I bought it and there appear to be few mechanical issues anywhere. The engine seems to be bulletproof, as does the transmission.

I've owned a few high end cars over many years and never had any major costs, ever, on Aston, many Mercedes or several Lexi (of course).

That is good to know. The GTs do seem pretty free of problems, judging from what everyone says in the forums. Could truly be the ideal everyday supercar...

BTW I remember why your name rung a bell - I sold you some tires, way back in 2005! Small world, huh?

stevenrmusic 02-07-2011 10:10 PM

Congrats, you got a good Aston Martin as have heard stories. Oh, and avoid Ferrari cars pre 360 era if you hate the cost to keep the car running.

Originally Posted by diablo1 (Post 3116897)
Fair enough. That is where our tastes diverge, though... I like to have my gadgets, even in the car. :) I'd miss iPod hookup, backup cam, and modern nav especially.

iPod is easy, just remove the 6 Disc changer and install the Dice Electronic unit, You can upgrade the Bluetooth unit in the 2006 so it can handle more modern phones. As for touvhscreen NAV, i hear you there.

The GTs do seem pretty free of problems, judging from what everyone says in the forums. Could truly be the ideal everyday supercar...
+1, and it is my everyday car rain, shine, snow and ice. Am very impressed with the 2006 from true grand touring to snow drifting fun. She is indeed a keeper!

kensilver 02-08-2011 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by diablo1 (Post 3116897)

I'm a gadget guy too - I'm in front of a 5 screen setup right now! I just prefer the art of driving rather than sitting in a mobile lounge and kitchen. In my country, New Zealand, the scenery and road conditions change frequently and often, unlike the USA where you can sit for hours on super straight freeways.

I don't miss a backup cam however: the beepers tell me all I need to know about what's behind me.

BTW I remember why your name rung a bell - I sold you some tires, way back in 2005! Small world, huh?
I did buy some tires for one of my SL500's from the Tire Rack a while back.

kensilver 02-08-2011 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by enjoythemusic (Post 3116908)
Congrats, you got a good Aston Martin as have heard stories. Oh, and avoid Ferrari cars pre 360 era of you hate the cost to keep the car running.

Thanks. The biggie of course is the clutch. My Vanquish had it replaced just before I bought it, so I avoided an expensive changeout there. Like the Ferrari I believe it can chew through clutches if not driven correctly, and at $10-$15k it makes a sizable dent in the budget.

...it is my everyday car rain, shine, snow and ice. Am very impressed with the 2006 from true grand touring to snow drifting fun. She is indeed a keeper!
Agreed. The CGT is probably the first car I'd want to keep for more than a year. It just seems to have everything I want tied up in a neat package. And paddles too - what a great combination for every type of driver.