6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   Bentley GT owners, question about possible warning light? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/237642-bentley-gt-owners-question-about-possible-warning-light.html)

Ray G 02-25-2011 05:30 PM

Bentley GT owners, question about possible warning light?

Hello,
I just purchased a 2006 Bentley GT and unfortunately it did not come with an owners manual. Can anybody tell me what this message on the center of my dash is telling me? Picture below. Thank you for your help!
http://www.fototime.com/%7BDAF6C526-...t/CIMG0046.jpg

robbiemac 02-26-2011 03:07 AM

According to the manual page 5-19, if the light you have photographed is amber then there are 2 situations where this light will come on...

1. parking brake electrical faulty, only affecting parking brake operation, ensure e-park is selected before leaving the vehicle.

2. parking brake fault affecting main braking system DO NOT DRIVE (in this condition you would also get the P in a circle either flashing or on, and the ! in a circle on.

for condition 1 you would also get P with a circle flashing or on however the ! in a circle would be off.

Ray G 02-26-2011 10:42 AM

Thank you so much! There is no ! or anything flashing. Think its safe to drive to the dealer? I can feel the e-brake engage and disengage when I use the buttons.

Originally Posted by robbiemac (Post 3134542)
According to the manual page 5-19, if the light you have photographed is amber then there are 2 situations where this light will come on...

1. parking brake electrical faulty, only affecting parking brake operation, ensure e-park is selected before leaving the vehicle.

2. parking brake fault affecting main braking system DO NOT DRIVE (in this condition you would also get the P in a circle either flashing or on, and the ! in a circle on.

for condition 1 you would also get P with a circle flashing or on however the ! in a circle would be off.

stevenrmusic 02-27-2011 06:50 AM

Hi, when first getting the 06 here had the same problem. Seems there may be a right rear (passenger side on US cars) E brake actuator defect. Seems this situation is happening with other 06 cars btw. VAG-COM might throw a bad brain unit code, which we did replace yet that did not solve the problem. i would guess it is the actual assembly by the brake rotor that needs replacing.

Costs?

Line Code 24BEZ01 Brake repair labor = $130
Part# 3W0698996E Elect Park Brake $400.19
Environmental Compliance Charge = $28.75
---------------
Total = $558.94 (plus tax)

Hope this helps. What irritated me was that with the (P) on, i could not really use the GPS NAV center driver screen. For me that is a MUCH-NEEDED item as am, well, highly dependant on GPS.

Hope this helps.

Ray G 02-27-2011 09:19 AM

Thank you!!!

Originally Posted by enjoythemusic (Post 3135364)
Hi, when first getting the 06 here had the same problem. Seems there may be a right rear (passenger side on US cars) E brake actuator defect. Seems this situation is happening with other 06 cars btw. VAG-COM might throw a bad brain unit code, which we did replace yet that did not solve the problem. i would guess it is the actual assembly by the brake rotor that needs replacing.

Costs?

Line Code 24BEZ01 Brake repair labor = $130
Part# 3W0698996E Elect Park Brake $400.19
Environmental Compliance Charge = $28.75
---------------
Total = $558.94 (plus tax)

Hope this helps. What irritated me was that with the (P) on, i could not really use the GPS NAV center driver screen. For me that is a MUCH-NEEDED item as am, well, highly dependant on GPS.

Hope this helps.

Jackedwards 02-28-2011 08:13 PM

The day I got my 05 in, that light came on at a stop light.

Pushed the parking brake button up and down 5 times, the light went out, and has not come back on since. Thank heaven.

Hopefully, yours does the same.

stevenrmusic 03-01-2011 04:23 AM

You make a good point, perhaps we all should 'exercise' the parking brake from time to time to keep things in proper order. Will add this task to my monthly car workout.

Ray G 03-01-2011 08:29 PM

Update: dealer looked at it and said sensor was faulty otherwise all is ok with the parking brake. Only bad part is that it is going to take 3 days to get the part.

stevenrmusic 03-02-2011 03:50 AM

That is good news and 3 days means ship out of factory in England (1 day), in transit (1 day), and finally get to USA dealer (1 day), so 3 days is about right.

klea 05-15-2011 12:13 AM

most likely it is due to the failure of braking system. i would still suggest you to go for an owner's manual.

Ray G 05-15-2011 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by klea (Post 3204956)
most likely it is due to the failure of braking system. i would still suggest you to go for an owner's manual.

It was just a sensor and has since been fixed by a dealer. I didn't have an owners manual when I originally posted this which I have also since resolved.

farris 12-15-2011 07:30 AM

I am having the same issue and replacing the parking brake ECU did not fix it :mad:

I also tried exercising the parking brake many times and it switches on and off just fine.

Any ideas?

Dr.Disaster 12-15-2011 08:12 AM

I rarely use the parking brake. Growing up in Fl there is now where for the car to roll.:D In TN I should have used it at least twice. I had my Ford truck get a way from me twice rolling backwards, once jumping a curb at the office slamming into a car at the bank down below. I thought the bank president was going to be furious with me but instead thanked me and asked if I could hit the other side???????????????:confused: It was a repo. and the insurance money was going to make the car profitable again.

Steven what's the deal with depending on GPS? Forgot where the house is again?;) Feel free to return fire anytime for a laugh.

stevenrmusic 12-15-2011 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster (Post 3400600)
Steven what's the deal with depending on GPS? Forgot where the house is again?;) Feel free to return fire anytime for a laugh.

(Said in good humor) Well, when you have five girlfriends it is hard to remember which one lives were. So the GPS/naming helps me to arrive at the right house. Ya know, kinda awkward arriving at Laura's home when you had a date with Lea. So welcome to modern life where your GPS address book is the proverbial 'little black book'. :D

So bring it, what's your come back to that :p

Bring it?

OH, IT'S ALREADY BEEN BRUNG!!!!

Dr.Disaster 12-15-2011 09:49 AM

A mans gatta know when he's been beat. I bow oh master.

Nixon Marx 02-01-2013 01:16 AM

Hello,
I got the very same problem this morning, for some unknown reason; I never use p-brake; I drive the car maybe twice a month; it's a 2006 conti gt mulliner. Moreover another problem suddenly came on at the same time, automatic lights didn't work anymore; So far it seems related to electronic momre than mechanic; I'll have the car inspected by Bentley Brussels and will keep you posted;
best regards,
Nixx

stevenrmusic 02-01-2013 05:19 AM

Nixx,

Seems Bentley has figured out the P Brake light issue is some failed sensor that needs to be replaced, so this is common/defect. As for the other thing, probably just a small 'reset' could fix it.

Mooikut 04-08-2013 03:36 AM

I'm a new owner and from what I've heard tire sensor light is the most common light to come on - I've also been told vw tire sensors which are much cheaper than Bentley will also work

stevenrmusic 04-08-2013 03:59 AM

Yes, simply cross reference the VW Phaeton for various possible parts substitution / solutions

pupdogg 04-07-2015 07:50 PM

I am experiencing the same problem. Were you guys able to identify which exact sensor needed to be replaced? My mechanic's VAG-COM shows the problem coming from the rear passenger side wheel. Any help with specific part numbers will help! Thank you in advance.

stevenrmusic 04-09-2015 02:50 PM

It's the rear right (passenger side on USA spec). Part # is....

(Getting my service book, brb)

Brake Actuator 3W0907801E ($252 in May 2010, we did a core return of the old one)

Also see in August 2010 I had the same problem (yellow crossed out P) and they replaced 3W0698996E electric parking brake ($400.19). Odds are THIS is your problem more than the first one ($252).

Hope this helps.

pupdogg 04-20-2015 07:11 PM

@stevenrmusic thank you so much brother! that worked like a charm...only a 10min jobbie. It was in-fact the Electric Parking Brake (3W0698996E) causing the issue. Got the part from FlyingSpares.

Simply took the rear passenger wheel off and got the electric parking brake swapped after removing the 2x star screws that hold it in place. New unit comes with 2x brand new screws.

pmancari 01-27-2018 02:57 PM

"Please check brake lights" message

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT TO DO TO FIX THIS MESSAGE "PLEASE CHECK BREAK LIGHTS"
SEE PIC BELOW
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...43f683b273.jpg

Adler2501 12-20-2019 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by pmancari (Post 4693946)
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT TO DO TO FIX THIS MESSAGE "PLEASE CHECK BREAK LIGHTS"
SEE PIC BELOW
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...43f683b273.jpg

this is one of the worst ones. It’s your third (top rear window) brake light. Very common continental issue. Around $2700 to fix.
recommend to find a shop that will issue inspection sticker with this light fault. Otherwise ur out some serious $$$

Yoghurtshotgun 12-21-2019 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by stevenrmusic (Post 3138392)
That is good news and 3 days means ship out of factory in England (1 day), in transit (1 day), and finally get to USA dealer (1 day), so 3 days is about right.

Believe me not many parts are made in the UK any more .more likely shipped from Germany or China 😂

Randy V 12-21-2019 09:14 PM

You guys are replying to a thread from 2011.

LOL

Whacky

pierre yves 06-06-2020 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by pupdogg (Post 4327475)
@stevenrmusic thank you so much brother! that worked like a charm...only a 10min jobbie. It was in-fact the Electric Parking Brake (3W0698996E) causing the issue. Got the part from FlyingSpares.

Simply took the rear passenger wheel off and got the electric parking brake swapped after removing the 2x star screws that hold it in place. New unit comes with 2x brand new screws.

Hello @pupdogg,
I have a 2008 Continental GT speed and I have the same issue: P crossed signal.
I'm ready to buy the part. Is it easy to do job ?
Due to that issue, I can't be sure to engage the jack mode (no information on the board).
It's a left drive car ( french )
Do you know if I can find a tutorial to help me or do I have to go and see a mecanic ?
Thank you for your help.
Pierre-Yves

cerex 04-18-2021 09:14 AM

did you ever sort out a DIY instructions, just got the same warning this morning

Johnny Hotspur GT 04-18-2021 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by cerex (Post 4874279)
did you ever sort out a DIY instructions, just got the same warning this morning

​​​​​​Hello @cerex ,
To which which warning are you referring to, as this thread was taken off topic of parking brake warning, if it is the brake light warning, see the DIY thread by @Zaos in the link below.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ent-howto.html

Johnny

cerex 05-04-2021 05:38 PM

Interesting enough I got both errors discussed on this thread.

3rd Brake light out - sourced a new brake light and looking for an indy shop in NU/NY/CT/PA area to sort out, Dealers wants close to $2K in Labor
(P) fault came on, I might be lucky for now as I did the Parking Break engagement 5 times and has since disappeared.

If there is a DIY instruction out to replace the faulty sensor/brake part suspect others might benefit as well.

Many Thanks as always Jonny for keeping us all on track and informed

Alex

Dark Green 05-05-2021 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by cerex (Post 4875837)
Interesting enough I got both errors discussed on this thread.

3rd Brake light out - sourced a new brake light and looking for an indy shop in NU/NY/CT/PA area to sort out, Dealers wants close to $2K in Labor
(P) fault came on, I might be lucky for now as I did the Parking Break engagement 5 times and has since disappeared.

If there is a DIY instruction out to replace the faulty sensor/brake part suspect others might benefit as well.

Many Thanks as always Jonny for keeping us all on track and informed

Alex

Removing the Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) motor really isn’t difficult.

The process, as has been posted before is:

1) Car into Jack mode (if possible)

2) Elevate the car and remove the appropriate road wheel.

3) Follow the convolute tube covered cable from the EPB motor until you find the first connector, and disconnect this (you may need a small tool to release the locking tab).

4) Undo the two Torx bolts which retain the EPB motor to the caliper body.

5) Remove the motor – which may require a screwdriver to lever it out, because the alloy corrodes and the motor body cracks and swells.

6) Clean the corrosion away from the recess into which the motor fits.

7) Fit the new motor and follow other steps in reverse.

There’s a good video here
which shows a typical VW EPB motor being removed, and at 2:45 shows the cracking that is so typical and allows water ingress.
Note that the generic VW caliper used on other models uses a smaller electrical connector mounted directly to the motor, rather than having a motor with a flying lead as per Phaeton/CGT/A8 which has what appears to be a current monitor on the extra two pins.