6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   Full iPod Control In a Pre 2009 Bentley GT (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/248704-full-ipod-control-pre-2009-bentley-gt.html)

stevenrmusic 08-27-2012 05:21 AM

Price for the part? Does there need to be any changes in VAG COM or other mods made?

Douyon 08-27-2012 05:35 AM

Whole setup will cost $1100. Don't know any specifics, other than it is a Bentley module that integrators seamlessly into the infotainment system.

montyfd 08-28-2012 02:47 PM

I bought this one somewhere in the UK, dont remember where but the link was from this forum. Thought it was aftermarket, but was an original part.

Only thing that p***d me off was that i bought an Ipod for it just to find out that you can run any USB stick as well with it and play music directly from there.

The Iopd also will show the Bentley logo as soon as you connect it.
CD changer still works normal when you disconnect the Ipod.

Installation time: 15 minutes using the removal tools (small metal hooks, they are included in universal removal tool sets).

Douyon 08-28-2012 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by montyfd (Post 3627314)
I bought this one somewhere in the UK, dont remember where but the link was from this forum. Thought it was aftermarket, but was an original part.

Only thing that p***d me off was that i bought an Ipod for it just to find out that you can run any USB stick as well with it and play music directly from there.

The Iopd also will show the Bentley logo as soon as you connect it.
CD changer still works normal when you disconnect the Ipod.

Installation time: 15 minutes using the removal tools (small metal hooks, they are included in universal removal tool sets).

Did not see link to what you purchased.

montyfd 08-28-2012 03:12 PM

I did not post it as i dont remember it

montyfd 08-28-2012 03:57 PM

Looked it up, thats the one and its a lot cheaper than mentioned above:

http://www.ppcgb.com/Bentley/Contine...cma579-cmo798/

stevenrmusic 08-29-2012 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by montyfd (Post 3627381)
Looked it up, thats the one and its a lot cheaper than mentioned above:

http://www.ppcgb.com/Bentley/Contine...cma579-cmo798/

Thanks for posting the link. Interesting.

Dr.Disaster 08-29-2012 08:37 AM

How much time/trouble/$ to put that stuff in?

montyfd 08-29-2012 12:05 PM

15 minutes idiot-proof if you invest 20 Dollars in the right tools:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251137934296?item=251137934296&pt=Motors_Automotiv e_Tools&cmd=ViewItem&hash=item3a78fcc3d8&vxp=mtr

Dont remember which one of these hooks it was, but one of these is for the CD changer. You can pull it out in 10 seconds without uninstalling anything else.

Put the cable on the rear of the CD changer, let it hang down in the glove box from behind, connect the box and place it in the glove box with the strips and the leatherbag.

Thats all. Nothing to change, nothing to code, nothing to activate. Just plug it in.
When the Ipod is disconnected, the CD changer works as usual.

Dr.Disaster 08-29-2012 12:11 PM

I wish you did not have to say "idiot proof".:(;):D

Douyon 08-29-2012 09:03 PM

decided to give Dice a try first. 10 minute install vs, dealer 4 hour install and a high end installer in NYC telling me they would need the car for the day. My buddy has the keys needed to pull the CD changer, so I anticipate being up and running in 10 minutes. If i do not like the results, the cost is no big deal to eat. However the company has a decent return policy. Dealer $1,100 to 1,500 depending on where I go. High End installer $650 to 850. Dice on line order $135 including shipping. Will keep you posted. Curious if these newer Dice units offer more functionality.

stevenrmusic 08-30-2012 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Douyon (Post 3628375)
Curious if these newer Dice units offer more functionality.

Which DICE as it seems there are two versions. i have the 'basic' one and works fine but you MUST use the iPod/iTouch/iPad for control. The non-DICE unit now being discussed seems to allow for control via steering wheel/center controller/head unit.

montyfd 08-30-2012 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Douyon (Post 3628375)
decided to give Dice a try first. 10 minute install vs, dealer 4 hour install and a high end installer in NYC telling me they would need the car for the day. My buddy has the keys needed to pull the CD changer, so I anticipate being up and running in 10 minutes. If i do not like the results, the cost is no big deal to eat. However the company has a decent return policy. Dealer $1,100 to 1,500 depending on where I go. High End installer $650 to 850. Dice on line order $135 including shipping. Will keep you posted. Curious if these newer Dice units offer more functionality.

They want to rip you off or have no idea how much / little work it is.
Car may be needed for the whole day to take some nice pictures for a website to show others how great they are but not for installation ;-)

Douyon 08-31-2012 08:25 PM

OK, So i received the unit today. Here are the updates. Dice was bought out by AudioVox. That said what arrived was a AudioVox SilverLite Duo. Unfortunately this unit requires connection from the back of the head unit, and not by just disconnecting the CD cable and plugging in there unit. Bummer. So now I will search for info on how to properly remove the Bentley Radio without messing anything up. If I cannot find anything I might have to resort to going back to the high end installer and see if he will install this unit for me. THe install looks simple. Remove Head unit, unplug CD cable, plug their Y cable in, and then re-connect CD cable to other end of Y connector. Plug third cable on harness in to Duo device and plug in suppled iPhone\iPod cable. put head unit back in and done.
For me the hard part seems like getting the head unit out. If anyone has any advice here, or links to a how to it would be much appreciated. I will search the forum to see what I can find. I do have the keys, and it did make getting the CD out a breeze.

If I can find info on how to pull the radio\infotainment from the dash, I will tackle this Sunday morning with a friend.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ill keep you posted in any case.

squirel 09-01-2012 05:17 AM

Hi there,

What I understand is that if you want to continu using the CD changer you have to replace the cable that goes from the unit to the CD Changer by the supplied Y cable.

Otherwise you simply connect the cable that goes in CD changer directly in the Dice/AV unit and that way you can not use the CD changer anymore.

Please keep me posted !

BTW: Hello to all, I'm Cyril, French owner of a 2005 CGT. Just order the same unit as you ! Receiving it next week.