6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   Driver side fuse box - how to open? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/262594-driver-side-fuse-box-how-open.html)

jc_333 12-11-2011 11:38 PM

Driver side fuse box - how to open?

Read manual which states nothing about fuses and how to change. I know there a fuse box under the steering wheel but how does the trim come off? I read online that one pulls a lever underneath for trim to pop off? However, I cant seem to find any release lever whatsoever as I need to replace the 5amp fuse for my interior lights.

Does anyone have a picture how I can open and access fuses?

Thanks
J

stevenrmusic 12-12-2011 04:07 AM

J, it is 6am and COLD outside (15F), i'll post a pic in a few hours once the sun comes up.

jc_333 12-12-2011 07:29 PM

Thanks...also do you know the best location to tap into 12v inside cabin and best route to wire through firewall?

Many thanks
J

stevenrmusic 12-13-2011 03:32 AM

Aologies, it slipped my mind to take the pic yesterday. Will set a reminder so i take photo today.

As for 12V, i found the K40 alarm wire in the front/lower driver-side fuse box and used that as the K40 is lackluster as compared to the Valentine (imho).

You'll want to find a fuse that turns on with the car and off with the car. Usually this is a radio, powered antenna or other type device/fuse.

stevenrmusic 12-13-2011 08:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, on USA cars the lever is just to the left of the brake pedal per se yet on the upper console. It is hard to 'find' yet hopefully the below pics help.

jc_333 12-13-2011 06:49 PM

Thanks Steven!

I will have a later tonite as I didnt see any thing that looked like a lever last time plus dont wanna force anything as it could snap.

Not too sure how hard it is as the engine is so packed in but do you know the best location to get a wire through firewall and into cabin would be? Any grommets I can remove to clear a path into the cabin?

Not too familar with the term "lackluster", do you mean the K40 is kinda dull vs the V1 which is what I'm using now.

Thanks again

J

stevenrmusic 12-14-2011 06:14 AM

jc,

The fuse box lever will easily move/open when you find it. As for the firewall, not sure where a wire-through location would be. Just tap off one of the fuses in the box below the steering wheel. Yes, the V1 is far better than the K40 imho. i have 'reprogrammed' mine for fewer false alarms. See:

www.valentine1.com/Lab/techreport3.asp

jc_333 12-21-2011 04:50 AM

Hi Steve

I found the service handbook which states the same method to open driver side fuse box on RHD. The location is the lever is slightly different as its located at "outer edge underneath kneeroll" part.

I must be blind as a bat as I've been trying to find it for the last hour without any luck!!! It's doing my head in as there isnt any sort of lever whatsoever. Even looked on the lhs to find not a single clue of trace of a lever!

I will upload pics later as on iPhone but feel like tearing the car apart to get this damn cover off!

J

stevenrmusic 12-21-2011 05:40 AM

J, sometimes you need a really good flashlight and be a contortionist. In my 'previous life' i installed high-end car audio systems. The easy way to find the lever is be on your back laying on the footwell with your feet outside the car, face up looking deep underneath the bottom of the console. If you have a bad back DO NOT try this. Yes the lever may be hard to find, yet look just in front of the footwell light (see my photo in previous post). You should be able to feel/see it and open the fuse box.

jc_333 12-21-2011 08:18 AM

Still out but trust me I was on my back with flashlight and there is no lever for sure. LHD vs RHD are a bit different but I'm 150% sure there is nothing there.

Pics to follow and will tell the story.

J

jc333 12-21-2011 10:41 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quick update after looking at your picture again. I've noticed your fuse box cover is a one piece that is hinged at the bottom. Mines different in that is a two piece trim piece cover. To be honest I dont see any hinges at the bottom of the smaller trim piece but there is a 1cm gap between both trims. Service manual must be correct as it came with the car and has clear pictures and wording explaining how to open fuse box cover but no luck whatsoever.

Pictures uploaded which were taken by my iphone.

As you can see the area around the light has nothing that looks like a lever. I've tried to take pictures which scan from left side to right where the lever should be as stated in the service manual.

Any ideas?

J

stevenrmusic 12-21-2011 05:12 PM

Hmm... i'd say call your local dealer or the factory as you seem to be in the UK.

ccwboy 12-21-2011 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jc333 (Post 3405548)
Quick update after looking at your picture again. I've noticed your fuse box cover is a one piece that is hinged at the bottom. Mines different in that is a two piece trim piece cover. To be honest I dont see any hinges at the bottom of the smaller trim piece but there is a 1cm gap between both trims. Service manual must be correct as it came with the car and has clear pictures and wording explaining how to open fuse box cover but no luck whatsoever.

Pictures uploaded which were taken by my iphone.

As you can see the area around the light has nothing that looks like a lever. I've tried to take pictures which scan from left side to right where the lever should be as stated in the service manual.

Any ideas?

J

UK car on right side the pull on right side near the brake .see the pic the grey color pull..

jc_333 12-21-2011 07:33 PM

Hi ccwboy

I certainly don't have that grey lever as its hard to miss being that big. I don't even have the hinges so I guess I need to call dealer and check.

Steven, surfing through workshop DVD and it seems I may have to remove black infill panel to access the door pull.

Keep u guys updated once I get this sorted out.

Thanks
J

ccwboy 12-21-2011 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by jc_333 (Post 3406021)
Hi ccwboy

I certainly don't have that grey lever as its hard to miss being that big. I don't even have the hinges so I guess I need to call dealer and check.

Steven, surfing through workshop DVD and it seems I may have to remove black infill panel to access the door pull.

Keep u guys updated once I get this sorted out.

Thanks
J

oops...what the year of ur CGT?mine is 2004.but think most of them same location.anyway u import car from UK to HK?r u live n HK?