Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

What to look for '05 GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Kainedogg is on a distinguished road
What to look for '05 GT

Was on the fence about getting either a used 2009 GTR or the '05+ Cont GT, and decided I might be happier with the large VW What are some of the things to look for when getting these cars? Known trouble areas and such? With the GTR the expensive and un-serviceable trans turned me away big time, despite being an avid Nissan...well Skyline fan. I have read where some of you have tossed Phaeton parts on the GT to save money where possible. As an Army guy, I like when crap makes sense and if the models are that similar, then why not. New to the site and eager to glean whatever information I can, before the purchase.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:23 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kainedogg
As an Army guy, I like when crap makes sense and if the models are that similar, then why not.
Agree 100%. Here we have Germany precision engineering meeting legendary British handcraftsmanship. Things to look for, hmmm, basically that the recall for fuel filter and perhaps the top/center rear brake light has been replaced due to manufacturer defect. Really there is not a heck of alot that seems to be a 'persistent or common' problem with these cars. Overdesigned parts and over-engineering greatly helps in this regard.

PS: Make sure the major service at 40k miles/4 years was done of course. This is the 'big' approx. $2500 service.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:00 AM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Make sure all electrics work, windows, boot release, soft close doors and such. Check control arms front and rear and as enjoythemusic stated 3rd brake light and nothing else really as its built like a tank.

J

Old 09-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks guys this is what I want to hear. I see where the W12 has a timing chain; at what point do they normally fail? My Q45 ate all 3 chains like they were candy. I will definitely keep an eye out for the things you mentioned guys. How are the turbos and do people modify these cars with basic bolt-on's? Nothing extravagant like head work, but like remapped ECU's or even trans-coolers to keep the automatic happier pushing this tank?

Old 09-25-2012, 10:28 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Timing chain lasts a long, long time as i recall. Power? Easy to just do an ECU flash for more hp/tq. If you read some threads/search here there are plenty of bolt-on/flash options for even more power.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I have pipes and ECU upgrade from Fabspeed and like it. My boot release in the driver does does not work but all else is good. I am sure I could get it fixed but it is not an issue foe me right now. Tires are not cheap on this car check them out. Consider having a paint/clearcoat polish correction and it could look like a new car.

I also had looked into the GTR and it is a great reasonably priced performer but not even close to the class and ride of the Bentley.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks gents. Wife tried to convince me to get an '07+ S600 since she knows I am obsessed with 12 cylinders and turbos but after having friends and associates with ABC issues I figured I would find something that was clean, mean, not so lean and actually serviceable indefinitely. I think with the Phaeton behind the GT, this car has a healthy life span. My brothers M5...may be in for a rude awakening on the top end next summer.
Dr. D, what gains did you get from the Fabspeed ecu and are the pipes an in-house creation? No issues with the trans or do you refrain from boosted launches? I don't plan to race the car, its a daily driver, but what makes America great is the freedom to bust your butt, then collect and manipulate the rewards as you see fit.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
The pipes are made by Fabspeed and I had some trouble getting the down tubes as the first ones did not fit on my late build 07. They should have them ready in about a month. I do have the secondary bypass pipes on at this time with the ECU flash. I have gained about 90hp and it is noticeable . The boost is set to a max of .9 bar and many think that is conservative enough to be safe but enough to worth the coin. The turbo rush in second coming up out of a corner is nearly violent and the effect in third is that you better be ready to brake cause you are now flying in short order.

I do have some issue with the tranny but it is not related to the mods. I think the 07 and of course 05 is just not really quick on the shift but that should relieve some stress on the clutch and gears. It ain't no F430. I just mash WAO any time I want to and have had no problem I have not done any throttle and brake takeoffs since I really am not racing anyone and would not like to abuse the car too much.

Mine is DD also and it parked outside the office right now. The local tech who put the system in for me says he think it runs like the SS. Minus the new quick tranny though.

Ask for David at Fabspeed and he can tell you all about it. I am not sure the mention of my name will be helpful since I bugged the **** outta him.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Lol, thanks brother. Very down to earth response. 13lbs of boost is nothing to scoff at. I wonder how much closer you are to eclipsing the 200mph barrier with those mods.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Lol, thanks brother. Very down to earth response. 13lbs of boost is nothing to scoff at. I wonder how much closer you are to eclipsing the 200mph barrier with those mods.
I have seen several tests of "200mph" cars and most do not make the claim.
I really doubt it will do a real 200mph. Mot speedometers are happy so you can not go by it. I don't have the room and road to try and I always have the top down when flying low.

I will tell you that 150 with the top down is no big deal. At 125 the car is not even trying.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Fair enough. I plan to get the hardtop for my DD needs.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Fair enough. I plan to get the hardtop for my DD needs.
Yeah but just try and argue with the wife that the DD meeds to go 200. Good luck.

This car is the ideal dd, smooth easy and classy till Mr. Hyde is needed.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:05 PM
I think the VW innards are what help it to attain civility.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:10 PM
You may be right and if you like the VW connection it will add confidence but some guys get a little offended if you tell them have bought a Phaeton with a little British dressing.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:28 PM
montyfd is on a distinguished road
.... or even trans-coolers to keep the automatic happier pushing this tank?
Lol, please show us a place where you want to add any kund of cooler.
There is not even room for a piece of paper under the hood ;-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.