Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

What watch do you wear? (not OT)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 12:52 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
What watch do you wear? (not OT)

Ok, I'm stretching the CGT topic a little by asking about your watches, but of course the Breitling brand is part of our heritage. I'm curious to know what type of watch Bentley owners wear. Usually owners of finely engineered luxury cars have an interest in crafted accessories too because of the link in quality.

At the beginning of the year I bought a Breitling For Bentley GT, after a lot of thought. This model attracted me because it wasn't as big and flashy as many other Breitlings (though that's open to discussion!), and better still the face was exactly the same color as my bodywork. It was a limited edition - that was also an attraction, and if I needed a tank full o' gas when times were tight, I could always sell it.

As for the rest of my tiny collection, there's a limited edition Omega America's Cup, and an Omega Speedmaster, along with an Omega Constellation (battery) which I've had for the last 8-9 years.

I'm deliberately not in the Patek P. league - not because of cost, but because the design simply doesn't attract me right now. I buy my stuff based partly on quality, but mainly on design.

And yes - the question might come up - I owned a Rolex 20 years ago, an Explorer, but sold it because it didn't keep good time. I knew NOTHING about watches back in those days! But I managed to sell it for the same price I bought it for a few years later... one of the advantages of that brand I guess.

Here's my Breitling:

Last edited by kensilver; 10-31-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:34 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Am a Patek guy. Big bling watch fad doesn't really do anything for me. As for which Patek, depends on the activity/outfit of course.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:02 AM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by kensilver
And yes - the question might come up - I owned a Rolex 20 years ago, an Explorer, but sold it because it didn't keep good time.
Obviously you are not Rolex material especially if you expect a Rolex to tell you the correct time!

Actually I kind of mean it in that the watch is jewelry that men can wear without being conspicuous, especially when I was growing up. So I buy Rolex chronometers because I think certain models are stunning. IMHO the gold Rolex President is a timeless design and unlike the Patek is suitable for any occasion. The most beautiful Rolex (especially if you are into boats) is the gold Yachtmaster with a blue dial. A good utility Rolex (if into boats) is the stainless Submariner.

I have owned 7 Rolex chronometers at one time or another. I bought my 1st President when I was in college for $500. Today I have a President, Submariner and Yachtmaster.

Last edited by Grwisher; 10-31-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:41 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Oh yeah, the blue dial of the Rolex Submariner is stunning! i keep looking at them from time to time.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 11-01-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Oh yeah, the blue dial of the Rolex Submariner is stunning! i keeep looking at them from time to time.
I yearned for the Submariner with the blue dial for years, but when I saw the Yachmaster with the darker blue dial, I feel in love. In addition, I already had the stainless Submariner and wanted something different. They are both fine watches unless you are so unsophisticated that you expect to tell time with them.

See Attached.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Grwisher; 11-01-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Who tells time with their Rolex or Patek? LOL C'mon, a digital watch that syncs to NIST is far, far more accurate. And McDonalds is the world's best food because they can sell so much of it every year, year after year after year

Old 10-31-2012, 01:44 PM
who tells time with their rolex or patek? Lol c'mon, a digital watch that syncs to nist is far, far more accurate. And mcdonalds is the world's best food because they can sell so much of it every year, year after year after year
+1

Old 10-31-2012, 04:11 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Grwisher
Obviously you are not Rolex material especially if you expect a Rolex to tell you the correct time!

...Today I have a President, Submariner and Yachtmaster.
I love the Yachtmaster, the Daytona is my fav.

My mother also had a Rolex many eons ago, and she sold it for the same reason as me - it wasn't exact, and we were ignorant about such matters.

But more kindly, she wanted preciseness over style/history/engineering, and got it with a battery watch.

It's also the reason why I wear my Omega Constellation more than the others... I can't abide not knowing the time down to the split second - even though I rarely have appointments these days, or have the need for such exactness at any time. In the blood I guess.

And as my far-sightedness increases, the usefulness of a quality watch diminishes.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:15 PM
...a digital watch that syncs to NIST is far, far more accurate...
Ironically our Bentley's Breitling is linked to the GPS, but has no second hand. Wasted exactness to me.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:25 AM
Nice choices guys! Ok, here is something ultra-rare that i love, only maybe 125 of these high precision wall clocks offered from Patek. Never offered for sale and was ONLY for dealers and a few select special people perhaps. Not selling the one here so please don't ask or make offers. This is a great watch for travelling and have used the 5110 since Patek first released it. Due to doing so much international business, it is an excellent and efficient wall clock too (plus extremely rare and highly desirable, is massive at 22 lbs, solid polished brass case, brushed brass rear, precision movement with active Patek World Time display, etc). Have been a Patek guy for many, many years and it is not just the incredible complications, design, etc, their service dept is wonderful too. In fact everyone i have met associated with Patek has been a true joy.

Attached Images   

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 11-01-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Regarding the Rolex I have heard that if you want to know what time it is buy a Timex.

I have a black face Submariner with a stainless and gold band. I bought it on a whim while in the Bahamas, yes it is legit. I first bought the watch to wear for dress up but realized i never dress up. It was then thrown ion to full time service and ha been up the guts of many a deer, covered in fish slime and soaked in tractor grease. That sucker is durable but needs to be set to the correct time twice a month.

My wife bought me a "cheap" watch from a local jeweler and it is some Swiss made thing with his name on it. It keeps good time.

I have loved the Breitling before i bought the GTC and still may get one but not sure if I want to spend on it.

PS Ken how about a picture of you in front of the car?

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 11-01-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
Regarding the Rolex I have heard that if you want to know what time it is buy a Timex.
LOL. Telling the day/date/time???? Isn't that what the cell phone is for?

Ok, seriously, there is more to it of course than just 'the time'. The true craft, mechanical technology, the ability for such a device to accomplish so many tasks within a very small wrist or pocket device... Looking at a precision mechanical movement under a 10x loop just makes my mouth water. Given the choice of an adult magazine or one filled with close-up shots of watch movements, i'll take the watch movement pics every time. Ok, maybe that was TMI, yet the sheer beauty and mastery of it all...

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 11-02-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Wedgeduck will become famous soon enough
Wow, now my wrist really feels naked. I have never been a huge watch fan. And everyone I hang out with has a very nice watch collection. I favor the Hublot carbon fiber watch. You know from an engineering point of view, aluminum are great for beer cans, plastics are great for children's toy, carbon composites will take us to infinity and beyond.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 PM
chinaleeexports will become famous soon enoughchinaleeexports will become famous soon enough
Patek
AP

Old 11-13-2012, 03:04 PM
LOL. Telling the day/date/time???? Isn't that what the cell phone is for? ...
In a race to tell the time, I win all the time against cellphones. They are always buried deep in someone's pocket.

I notice fewer people wear watches nowadays, and I think it won't be long before they are only sported by the 1% as status symbols and lovers of quality engineering.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What watch do you wear? (not OT)