6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   Continental GT Reliability (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/298579-continental-gt-reliability.html)

TerryW 01-26-2013 09:27 AM

Continental GT Reliability

We bought an 08 GT convertible several months ago, absolutely love it. The warranty is coming to an end and we are weighing our options. Do we spend $4k a year or so for the warranty or hang onto the dough and use it for anything that might crop up, we are leaning this way. My question to you other owners is which way did you go and is reliability even an issue? The car has been flawless so far, but, less than 30k miles.

Oh yeah, did I mention that we absolutely love this car!!!

Thanks in advance, Terry

Grwisher 01-26-2013 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by TerryW (Post 3752961)
We bought an 08 GT convertible several months ago, absolutely love it.

Oh yeah, did I mention that we absolutely love this car!!!

Why not? It is the best fussing car in the world! :)

chinaleeexports 01-26-2013 07:38 PM

I did not get the warranty. 38,000 miles and besides the regular services the only issues were a module for the TPS wheel system (light wouldn't go off) and the headliner sagging (although my car is always garaged, I live in a very warm area.) The B car has really been an excellent, reliable car so much so that I am having a difficult time in deciding if I want to replace it for something else. And if I do, I am highly considering another Bentley due to the positive experience with my current one.

plastique999 01-27-2013 12:55 AM

I just bought an 08 FS with 10k miles.
Did not purchase warranty.
I've heard good reliability with Bentley's in general.

BigA3533 01-27-2013 11:59 PM

I also bought 08 FS with 40k miles and full service history and fresh service and based on multiple threads here, I decided NOT to purchase an extended warranty!

jc_333 01-28-2013 12:05 AM

08 is still pretty new so I would save the 4k and put it towards so some nice rims! haha

I have 41,000 miles on the clock and the only major repair were new control arms as bushes were slightly worn. I needed a wheel alignment so to ensure everything was spot on I had the arms changed though it wasnt a must but hey its a Miss B, cant really save a bit here or there. I did have a lambda sensor and auto door close module replaced but prices were acceptable. You can search my name for the parts I had replaced at main dealers. I will still use the main dealers for oil service as I want to keep the Bentley service history (better for when the time comes to part out) but other work can use other pro shops. I got hit by the dealer once but a smarter shopper now since finding a shop capable of repairs.

Stop worrying and enjoy the car with sun shining on your fat SMILE!

Dr.Disaster 01-28-2013 08:42 AM

I bought an 07 GTC with no warranty and was more concerned at first than I am now, 15 000 miles later. It looks to me that this car brand is less needy of shop time than some of the other big exotic names. Do enjoy an absolutely fine car.

I have had the same thought as chinaleexports. Where do you go from Bentley?

kensilver 01-28-2013 02:42 PM

Terry, I looked long and hard for flaws in the CGT mechanicals, but it seems they are over-engineered and almost bulletproof. If serviced correctly and so on...

But I did hear of one isolated case where a 2006 CGT was for sale in my part of town because the owner was annoyed that the engine had to come out for a $30 part.

I tracked down the sales guy who told me this, and he didn't remember what was done. I suspect it wasn't as bad or as big a job as it sounded.

Hope you're enjoying your ride. And I also ask - where do we go from here! But you can bet there's another model change in 8-10 years that will have us salivating at the chops. And hopefully we'll be able to use our 3D printers to manufacture any problem or worn out parts by then.

Wedgeduck 01-29-2013 03:19 PM

With the maintenance costing a pretty penny. But these darn cars are pretty reliable. Only when I mod it and abused her is when she made my pocket books wept.:)

Dr.Disaster 01-29-2013 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wedgeduck (Post 3755611)
With the maintenance costing a pretty penny. But these darn cars are pretty reliable. Only when I mod it and abused her is when she made my pocket books wept.:)

Oh really what did you tear up in you lust for power?

Lebanese_GT 02-05-2013 12:24 PM

The extended warranties available nowadays are excellent and often pay for themselves; I would seriously consider extending the warranty. One major driveline or suspension issue and it will have paid for itself. Plus, the peace of mind is worth something, and most are transferable to the next owner.

Grant P 02-12-2013 10:16 PM

I think it depends on what that 4k gets you and what it covers and for how long...does it give you another 30k miles and last for 3 or more years?

That would be a big factor to me, and also its a piece of mind if you spend 4k now then you dont have to worry for how ever long it last for. If you dont and you need to repair something when you take it in you might be cringing wishing that you got the warranty.

In that past ive bought the warranty so i dont have to worry for 3 years.

ccwboy 02-12-2013 10:58 PM

i have the old one 2004.daily drive.do basic service.this car extremely Reliability.

SanibelSpeed 02-13-2013 07:50 AM

Unless I'm mistaken, the $4,000 warranty is good for only one year, which tells you just how expensive it might get if the car does require a repair.

ek1 02-13-2013 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed (Post 3767738)
Unless I'm mistaken, the $4,000 warranty is good for only one year, which tells you just how expensive it might get if the car does require a repair.

I heard the same thing - CPO warranty is $4K/year. They also have a "the more you buy, the more you save" option - 2 years can be had for $7K and 3 years for $10K. I was also told that the warranty is "bumper to bumper" - same as a new vehicle warranty from Bentley (which is very hard to believe) and that the mileage is unlimited (though this info came from a Bentley salesperson and I could not verify it). I looked all over but could not find Bentley's official CPO warranty terms.