Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Door Soft close feature when closing GT Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 08:42 PM
Rons GT Speed will become famous soon enough
Door Soft close feature when closing GT Coupe

I need help identifying the system that controls the failure and to how to repair the soft closure function on a 2008 Continental GT Speed. My drivers door quit self closing after I attempted to re-set the drivers seat memory. Prior to this attempt the door closure was normal. I have no other known system electrical failures. I have tried to locate information on this feature and probably cannot find any information because of my wrong description term of the automatic function. I have no idea where the control electrical system is located or if it is controlled by electric motors. I would appreciate any and all advice.
Thank you
Ron

Old 09-14-2018, 10:27 AM
BruceR is on a distinguished road
You might be better off. My friend who is a County EMS Director has told me some gruesome stories about the dangers of this feature and there's an illustrated post about it here:
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/sh...ey-Continental
I haven't disabled mine but I'm very conscious of the potential danger.
That said, since it appears to be related to resetting the seat memory perhaps pulling the associated fuse for a moment might reset things? I have no idea if that would help but might be worth a try.

Here's some more info that should apply to our cars as well: http://www.corners.plus.com/download...ing_assist.pdf
Also see this thread at VWVortex: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...or-not-closing

Last edited by BruceR; 09-14-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: add'l info added
Old 09-17-2018, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by BruceR
You might be better off. My friend who is a County EMS Director has told me some gruesome stories about the dangers of this feature and there's an illustrated post about it here:
That said, since it appears to be related to resetting the seat memory perhaps pulling the associated fuse for a moment might reset things? I have no idea if that would help but might be worth a try.

Here's some more info that should apply to our cars as well: http://www.corners.plus.com/download...ing_assist.pdf
Also see this thread at VWVortex: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...or-not-closing
Hello Bruce. Thank you for the great research. I have been looking as well and discovered there is a control unit in the door that pulls a cable when closing. I will take the time with your findings and try to diagnose the system which probably means pulling the door panel to expose the mechanism. This will be a good winter project. I did not think about the danger of the closing "ouch". It is like the rear wing "finger caution" during manual operation of opening closing. It too might bind if it caught something in the fully closed mode.
Thank you again for the feed back. Ron

Old 09-17-2018, 09:50 AM
BruceR is on a distinguished road
You're welcome, please keep us posted on your findings and solution.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:39 AM
Thumbs down Poor quality Feature!!

You're welcome, please keep us posted on your findings and solution.
Will do. I found a little information listed "Front door trim panel - To remove and Fit" displaying the electric drive motor and pull cable attached to the door latch assembly. It is a little complicated. I will advise you of my findings as soon as I tear into it. I am in no hurry to repair it understanding the dangers of the closure design feature. I want to do as much research as possible without guessing. I can see it is without a safety pressure release system.
Ron D

Old 02-21-2021, 10:27 AM
Lars_Tempest is on a distinguished road
Hi Ron,
Did you ever get to the bottom of the soft close door problem? If so, what was learned?

Thx

Old 02-21-2021, 12:19 PM
Daniel 08 Speed is an unknown quantity at this point
my drivers side tries to latch ( others work properly), i hear the motor pull the door then the door goes back to the original cracked position. don't even know what it could be.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:28 PM
silvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud of

Wow, thanks for posting this. I have a small child, makes me just want to pull whatever fuse powers these now.

Old 02-21-2021, 01:07 PM
CatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud of
You posted on Facebook, at a guess? I don't believe the injury would have been any less worse had they not closed a heavy door on it. You simply cannot get anything between the door and the frame once the soft close gets to the point of kicking in.

C

Old 02-21-2021, 01:09 PM
CatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud ofCatmanV2 has much to be proud of
Oh and fuses is 2 and 3, but you'll lose control of the windows as well

C

Old 02-21-2021, 01:18 PM
silvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud of
I'll have to test it myself when it comes down from the lift, I could just see him closing the door with both hands and having fingers trapped in there- problem sounds like the jamming though. Without softclose, you'd just open the door again, or it'd just bounce off the fingers rather than get sucked in

Old 02-21-2021, 01:37 PM
I think any door that you manage to close enough to latch with a finger in the way is going to struggle to open. We did this to my grandmother in France in 1982 in a 116 series Alfa Giulietta. Too much strain on the systems due to organic material ingress. No electrics there

They are big, heavy doors though, so keeping fingers out of the way is definitely a life lesson, just like most other doors, really

C

Old 02-23-2021, 09:41 AM
No I felt it was not necessary now knowing the danger in safety issue.
Thank you for your follow-up. I am too carless closing the door and am afraid I'll pinch my had during it's closing.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:49 AM
xclens is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a similar thing happen recently, I don't remember if it was my Mercedes SL or my Bentley, but I was messing around with something around the windows, and I closed the door and the window came up that last cm/inch and managed to pinch my finger. The window didn't cause anything more severe than a blood blister, but I can just imagine what having a door pressed against your finger can do!

That being said, I sure would LIKE to have my soft close working, with the added ability to turn it on and off when I so choose..

Old 02-23-2021, 12:38 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Daniel 08 Speed
my drivers side tries to latch ( others work properly), i hear the motor pull the door then the door goes back to the original cracked position. don't even know what it could be.
​​​
Hi, @Daniel 08 Speed ,
Did you see the other thread by Catman, I gave the information in post number 10 in the link below.
Now as far as you non properly working soft close door goes, I would say this, being that you can hear the motor run, and the door actually starts to pull in, then comes back out, then your SC motor is good, as is the cable from the SC motor to the SC latch mechanism in the door jam itself, the issue is most likely the micro switch in the soft close latch, as explained in the AW link provided in post 10 of the linked thread.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...questions.html

Johnny

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Door Soft close feature when closing GT Coupe