6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   Advice Needed (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/312056-advice-needed.html)

cbarkly 07-05-2013 09:34 AM

Advice Needed

As noted earlier, I picked up my first Bentley ever, a 2005 GT on 22" rims. After a few weeks now of having the car, I'm frustrated and getting tired of it - too costly to do repairs to bring it to enjoyable daily driver.

With that said, I'd like advice to get the Max back for selling it.
I paid near auction pricing on the 05. It is black/black on 22" Forgiato rims, staggered. It has 48k miles and mechanically sound. I paid less than $59k.

From what I see on Autotrader and elsewhere, looks like I ought to easily be able to pull $63kish from it. Question is - how do I do that if I am not a dealer? Meaning - I dont offer financing and find it unlikely that someone would show up at my door with 63k cash/cashier's check.

Additionally, my feeling (although I will soon get facts to back it up) is that if I drop it by CarMax I would get ... 40k? 45k? They would likely lowball the hell out of it.

Any advice? What website should I use? Should I consign with a local dealer? Bentley dealership or some other kind? I'm completely uneducated in this arena and would LOVE any advice.

THANK YOU.

stevenrmusic 07-05-2013 11:42 AM

EBay perhaps. 50k is more realistic and 04/05 are known for their situations. Make sure your service book is all up to date with factory servicing greatly helps too with 50k resale value. Then again you said she has problems....

cbarkly 07-08-2013 10:46 AM

Thanks for eBay advice

Anyone else with ideas of best way to sell a Bentley GT and get top dollar?

Dr.Disaster 07-08-2013 12:35 PM

Sorry to hear of your bad ownership experience. If you paid less than 59K then price it for 59k and be rid of it. The way I see car buying is that someone made some profit to sell you the car so really it was really worth less than 59K. I am sure there is someone out there who would like the deal but networking that information out there to him is the battle. I wish I could help you but I can not.

I do wonder do car dealers make money on every car?:confused: What are the issues with the car that have put you off so?

stevenrmusic 07-08-2013 04:27 PM

Dr. D,

Dealers do indeed 'roll the dice' too. Sad his car isn't back up to daily driving spec as they are so amazing to drive.

cbarkly, why is the car not a daily driver? Bentley GT/GTC really are relatively reasonable to operate once you know the original pricing and that repairs are based on that. Is there something inherently wrong with your car that needs attention?

SanibelSpeed 07-08-2013 08:16 PM

CarMax takes a half hour to get a written quote. Why rule them out so fast? I've sold cars to them and always got better money than i'd been offered by new car dealers as trade-in allowance.

Dr.Disaster 07-09-2013 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by enjoythemusic (Post 3889573)
Dr. D,

Dealers do indeed 'roll the dice' too. Sad his car isn't back up to daily driving spec as they are so amazing to drive.

I know in my business that profit is not always assured. My experience with selling "stuff" is that timing luck is paramount. That means I can't speculate well worth a ch-t.:D

cbarckly please do not misinterpret my post as aggressive. I truly hate that you do not like the car as I am so biased in favor of them.