Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

05 CGT shifter assembly sliding cover

Old 04-15-2017, 02:37 PM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
...Thank you for the clarification...is the small square item also a magnet...how many magnets in total. Yes it's too bad Bentley does not provide the subject component as a replacement, but I guess they have issues with inventory control. A while back I had a 450SL and was working on the Fuel Distributor, I wanted to refresh some minor brass components. Mercedes said they would prefer to sell a whole new unit for $500 and take my old one and replace the minor parts to sell to the next person...I will try to find out what changes, if any, on later cars and will report back...thanks for the great coverage of this component...JimB

Old 04-15-2017, 03:10 PM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
I am uncertain if there are one or two magnets (it was quite a while ago when I initially investigated this issue). When I first wrote my response today, I thought there were two, but on reconsideration, edited my post to say ONE magnet. If it is important, I will open up the storage box I kept and re-examine the membrane/rail remnants and confirm 1 or 2 magnets. Let me know.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:51 PM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
....No don't go through the additional trouble of opening storage, your description of the mechanism was complete, anyone with shifter assembly issues will find your write up and pictures very valuable. I am curious if Bentley has improved this much used part based on field feedback. I will see what I can find out...Happy Easter or Holiday, whatever is appropriate. JimB

Old 03-08-2018, 05:43 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Replacement. Shift lever dust cover

The replacement shift lever dust cover is available from a company called Alpine Performance in Hollandale Florida. I believe the owner's name is Luke. Luke has produced pertinent YouTube videos on how to take different interior components apart. His instructions will aide in getting the shift cover counsel out of your vehicle. Best of luck.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:13 PM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
The replacement shift lever dust cover is available from a company called Alpine Performance in Hollandale Florida. I believe the owner's name is Luke. Luke has produced pertinent YouTube videos on how to take different interior components apart. His instructions will aide in getting the shift cover counsel out of your vehicle. Best of luck.
I've been looking at that site and at $350 a pop, I hope someone here comes up with a nice solution!

Old 03-08-2018, 07:43 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
I just bought one from Alpine Parts for $250 plus a nominal a shipping charge. Based on the condition of my old one, I don't feel it was feasible to repair. This component was molded as one piece then reinforced under neith with a membrane. Perhaps a strip of Gorilla Tape on the bottom attaching all the segments might temporarily work. The other aspect of the dust cover is the two magnets that are embedded into the assemblage. The new dust cover comes with the magnets embedded in the proper fashion. . I am satisfied with the results, spent about 1 hour on the project.

I am however all about trying to salvage a potentially usable item.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:08 PM
I had an epiphany.

On eBay one can buy a used A8 shifter assembly with sports mode. the shifter membrane with the magnets is inside the unit and will fit the Continental GT. One A8 assembly was $35.

The one I bought (earlier post), was expensive because I didn't figure this out soon enough. I'm suspect the membrane I bought for $250 was really for an Audi. The membrane pattern is different but works and is quite acceptable to look at. Make sure that the unit you get has an intact dust cover membrane ( eBay protocol).

So here is a work around the world of Bentley.

For those ambitious to work on their BCGT's, it,s advisable to evaluate if Audi A8 W12 or Volkswagen Phaeton W12 share the same or similar parts, they will cost less. For example, I found front suspension bushings from Audi and saved money,

Old 02-05-2020, 12:41 PM
LarrysFlyingSpur is an unknown quantity at this point
Just bringing up this old chestnut to see if there's anything new on this over-engineered piece of plastic. Mine snapped. 1eapplebaum has a good suggestion but maybe over time this part (3W1713111J/K) has dropped in price, cheapest I've seen including shipping is around $170, thereby avoiding buying a used assembly for frankensteining. Although I might be willing to try some gorilla tape!

one other question: is it necessary to pop off the infotainment cover to pop up the console to get to the shifter?

thanks.

Old 02-05-2020, 02:26 PM
riozilla is on a distinguished road
I do not recall having to remove or pop off the infotainment cover when I did this job on my CGT. Pic attached.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:39 AM
Thanks riozilla, that's helpful, Nice to see the attachment posts where I can concentrate my pulling.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:07 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
It's a $60 Audi part you can buy on Ebay. I bought it and my stereo installer put it in, they've actually done a handful.

Here is my old thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...one-wants.html

Old 02-06-2020, 01:09 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Old 02-06-2020, 01:10 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
Don't spend $1,300 at the dealer.

Old 02-06-2020, 02:05 PM
riozilla is on a distinguished road
I wish that I had known about the $60 audi part. I spent 250 or so on it and did the install myself but I felt that price for the small part was crazy.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:52 PM
Amazing!!! I just ordered it from your link THANKS! Looking forward to Johnny's installation instructions. The power of this forum is limitless!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05 CGT shifter assembly sliding cover