Notices
Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Common Problems on 04/05 Continental GT's?

Old 10-31-2013, 10:33 AM
1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute
Common Problems on 04/05 Continental GT's?

Hello guys
I am about to sell off my high perf toys and just settle on one car and daily it.
Currently my options are a GTR or a CGT. I am REALLY liking the bentley due to comfort and luxury. None of my past cars have been this level of luxo sedan, figured i would give her a whirl. GTR would be fun too and can be had in the same ball park of price.

So with that said, the CGT's i am seeing in my price range ($50-60k) are 04 and 05s with 40-60k miles. im fine with the mileage, i just want to make sure these are solid running cars. So what are typical problems from this yr range?

I do know the rear brake issue, read up on that.
I don't care about navi or blue tooth.

Anything else? Would really appreciate some input. Also what other GOOD bentley forums are out there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Aj

Old 11-01-2013, 09:24 AM
carlosC4S is on a distinguished road
Hi AJ

Keep your toys, you will be disappointed with an 04 / 05 GT, well I am so far put it that way.

Things that i dont like / am surprised about with such a car:-

1. Rattles inside the cabin from roof lining, door cards etc. all sorted in later life I have been told but common on the years your looking for.
2. Suspension bushes are normally shot by that mileage, mine are at it feels like cr*p. Not a cheap fix but it is essential.
3. Sluggish when wanting to drive in a spirited fashion, high end german stuff kills it all day long
4. Out of date sat nav, i know you dont care but still.
5. Cant save the suspension in sports setting, it just wont let you. WTF.
6. Small seat which i find hard to get comfy with
7. Build quality not as i had imagined, my doors needed adjustment just because they didn't fit as i felt they should have. Sorted in 5 mins but not good enough IMHO. Rattles and loose healiner, common faults.
8. Poor visibility due to the A pillar, when turning into sharp corners i loose track of the road side kerb
9. E brake intermittently gives an error message, i have to pull over, put it on then release for the message to go off
10. Quite a dull drivers car, no exhaust note and no excitement when driving.

I will stop there but you get my drift. I have more issues and lots of stuff to moan about and having driven Porsche's, Merc SL AMG's etc. they are a heck of a lot better as a drivers car.

The positive is that it gets people pointing, staring etc everywhere i go because of what it is but, for me, there are far better cars out there for this kind of money.

I'm a bit disillusioned with mine and having had it 9 weeks I am trying to get motivated again by some nice upgrades etc but I am not sure if it will do it.

Buy with caution my friend. The hype doesn't match the reality, for me anyway.

Carl

Old 11-01-2013, 03:47 PM
1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute1BADBURB has a reputation beyond repute
Wow... thanks for the insight on the car!!! Makes me wonder if the GTR is a better option. I also started looking at S550 4Matic since it would cost half the amount of the bentley or GTR. save the other 30k for something down the road.
decisions...

Old 11-01-2013, 04:23 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Unhappy

Originally Posted by carlosC4S View Post
Hi AJ

Keep your toys, you will be disappointed with an 04 / 05 GT, well I am so far put it that way.

Things that i dont like / am surprised about with such a car:-

1. Rattles inside the cabin from roof lining, door cards etc. all sorted in later life I have been told but common on the years your looking for.
2. Suspension bushes are normally shot by that mileage, mine are at it feels like cr*p. Not a cheap fix but it is essential.
3. Sluggish when wanting to drive in a spirited fashion, high end german stuff kills it all day long
4. Out of date sat nav, i know you dont care but still.
5. Cant save the suspension in sports setting, it just wont let you. WTF.
6. Small seat which i find hard to get comfy with
7. Build quality not as i had imagined, my doors needed adjustment just because they didn't fit as i felt they should have. Sorted in 5 mins but not good enough IMHO. Rattles and loose healiner, common faults.
8. Poor visibility due to the A pillar, when turning into sharp corners i loose track of the road side kerb
9. E brake intermittently gives an error message, i have to pull over, put it on then release for the message to go off
10. Quite a dull drivers car, no exhaust note and no excitement when driving.

I will stop there but you get my drift. I have more issues and lots of stuff to moan about and having driven Porsche's, Merc SL AMG's etc. they are a heck of a lot better as a drivers car.

The positive is that it gets people pointing, staring etc everywhere i go because of what it is but, for me, there are far better cars out there for this kind of money.

I'm a bit disillusioned with mine and having had it 9 weeks I am trying to get motivated again by some nice upgrades etc but I am not sure if it will do it.

Buy with caution my friend. The hype doesn't match the reality, for me anyway.

Carl
That's a sad list Carl, and I'm sorry you ended up with these problems. I don't know what year yours is, but my first CGT was an 06 and poorly looked after too. I think that's the real issue...an owner who babies their car will have sorted out a lot of these problems before it is sold.

I had to do quite a bit of fixing to mine with minor bodywork problems - and the door fit was one that I was never really happy with - but the owner had followed the factory service and it was mechanically good. That seems to be the secret.

Since I have an SL500 I agree that Mercedes put out a nice product, but to compare them with the monster tanker that is the CGT is another ball game. You're correct in that it's not really a driver's car. I enjoy flinging the SL round the curvies even though it is not a top handling car. But the CGT doesn't like that at all. And not only that, it doesn't look good either...bit like putting a Rolls Royce round the Nurburgring. Wrong car for the conditions.

So it's horses for courses. Straight line running at high speeds suits the CGT best. Great suspension makes it a comfortable ride too. The seats are firm and a good size for me, but then I'm a midget like Tom Cruise at 5ft 8". I didn't like the early model's droney exhaust note either, but it's better than many performance cars.

The old nav was a laugh of course, but then I had a tape deck in my 03 Aston Martin. They were a little bit behind in those days

I think the answer for buyers is like most choices...nothing is perfect, but if you have a burning desire for Bentley you will love it despite the faults. If you are just adding another car for the experience, then yes, there are many others out there.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:39 AM
ExSF is a glorious beacon of lightExSF is a glorious beacon of lightExSF is a glorious beacon of lightExSF is a glorious beacon of lightExSF is a glorious beacon of light
Hi AJ.

I too have an 04 model which I bought in August.
53,000 miles. Full main dealer history but I have had a few of issues, non serious thankfully.
I took the car to a Bentley main dealer for a new tyre, 170 fitted, and a free health check a couple of days after buying it. The mechanic mentioned the brakes and said that he could replace them for 1,500 all in.
I have replaced the brake discs and pads myself and saved around 500.
I also had a base speaker fail so have replaced the two in the doors. Sounds much better now.
The headlining is sagging a little at the rear sides. Not urgent, but I will address that later.
Other than that, I have replaced the start button as a small piece of chrome had broken off, got one from a UK breakers yard and it looks new. Minor detail but I like things to be right.
I do get a check engine lamp now and again relating to a cam sensor but I suspect this to be a bad connection.
I've also fitted aftermarket BMC air filters, a Dice I-Pod unit and painted the lower grilles silver. Much nicer.
I was going to do the exhaust vacuum flap mod but found that it had already been done by a previous owner.
The bodywork and wheels are immaculate and clearly shows that this car has been cared for in most respects.
Everything else seems normal, no rattles etc and everything works apart from the phone. The previous owner had an aftermarket bluetooth system fitted but it had a fault so I removed it.
As for my thoughts on owning a Bentley, I love it. So does my better half.
Prior to this I have had 4 X350 supercharged XJR Jag's, Aston V12 DB7, 3 Corvettes and 3 Camaro Z28's amongst many other less noteable cars.
Would I buy another Bentley, definately yes.

Hope that helps a little.

Les.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Ken and Les, thank you both for your input. Def considering it still. There are some very well priced ones out there. Hard to say no to...

Old 11-02-2013, 03:16 PM
carlosC4S is on a distinguished road
If i had the choice again Id buy something else, perhaps i want more but i just think the CGT shows its age whereas other cars of similar vintage feel bang upto date.

For the purchase price there are better cars out there, lots better in fact, the B only wins because that letter on the bonnet, and that's not enough in my opinion.

Im probably going to leave B ownership after only 2 months, i really do think they aren't worth it, but that's just me, coming from far better cars previously, none as prestigious but many better to have.