Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Clicking noise inside the pillar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:53 PM
ek1
ek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura about
Clicking noise inside the pillar

Back in early 2013 I made a huge mistake of complaining about a weak satellite radio reception to the dealership. They have promptly replaced the satellite antenna and some other components, which did not do diddly squat. During this exercise in futility they had to remove the headliner as well as pillar covers (multiple times). What they did accomplish is that I have had two extremely annoying interior rattles ever since.

The first and the most annoying first started as a rattle inside the driver's side pillar cover (see attached image for exact location). Two unsuccessful "repairs" later, the noise became even more obnoxious. It's a very loud click that occurs when the car is travelling over rough pavement and the chassis flexes. The colder it gets, the louder and more frequent the click becomes. It sounds like two pieces of double-sided tape coming apart. This does not surprise me as the dealership documented using double-sided tape during one of the repair attempts. The click is so obnoxiously loud that can be heard from the rear seats.

The second rattle is a muffled buzzing sound that comes from the rear of the headliner when going over rough pavement. Its not nearly as annoying as the first noise, but it still pisses me off.

The dealership has now tried to repair it FOUR times, with zero results. I don't know what else to do. I mean, what is this, some Maserati? My expectation of a Bentley is a totally silent interior, with zero squeaks, rattles, etc. I paid for it, I enjoyed it for about a month and I want it back. I just don't know how to actually accomplish that.

Does anyone know how I can remove the left side pillar cover and take a look inside? Surely it does not take a nuclear physicist to eliminate a clicking noise?

The roads in NYC have been significantly "upgraded" with a brand new set of potholes and cracks during the last few snowfalls, this car is my daily driver and having to listen to clicking noise for 2 hours a day, 5 days a week annoys the living poo out of me.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	interior.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	321125  
Old 01-19-2015, 12:33 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Did you ever get the clicking sorted? Did you ever notice a buzz or clicking sound reverberate next to a concrete wall from the brakes or rotors? Just curious thanks

Old 01-19-2015, 09:16 AM
ek1
ek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Did you ever get the clicking sorted? Did you ever notice a buzz or clicking sound reverberate next to a concrete wall from the brakes or rotors? Just curious thanks
Yep, I got the clicking sorted by trading the Supersports in and getting a 2014 Speed. But now when I put the new car in Sport mode, something inside the dashboard starts resonating with the exhaust (its basically buzzing). This came straight from the factory, but I don't recall ordering that option I would not even dare report this to the dealership because my car will become a rattlebox when I get it back.

The clicking sound from brakes at slow speed is also a known issue. I had it on my Supersports. The first time I complained about it, the dealership said it was normal, but during the last service appointment they said it's not normal and were going to take a look at it. I never did find out what the issue was, but its definitely not "normal".

Old 02-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Nrick70 is on a distinguished road
I also have this noise, sounds like a loud clicking like you get when you pull tape apart, at first I thought it was the tweeter clipping but not sure now. I am getting quite a list of jobs to get through. Anyone else had this?

Old 02-26-2015, 02:59 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
What funny posts to read but I can understand the exasperation of paying big dollars for a car that has to many noises. Not to mention the idea of a fix one cause two repair shop.

Who ever heard of having to trade in a car for pillar rattle???? The simple reason they can not fix a noise is the fact that they have no idea what is really causing it. I am just a stupid tooth doctor but i can understand that.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:06 PM
Nrick70 is on a distinguished road
To be fair it is intermittent and quite annoying, but I will hunt it down.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:51 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Mine isn't inside the car
It's with windows down next to a concrete barrier or something reverberating the sound. Def from the ceramic brakes

Inside of my car is quiet, thankfully

Old 02-26-2015, 11:09 PM
ULSTRUP is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ek1
Back in early 2013 I made a huge mistake of complaining about a weak satellite radio reception to the dealership. They have promptly replaced the satellite antenna and some other components, which did not do diddly squat. During this exercise in futility they had to remove the headliner as well as pillar covers (multiple times). What they did accomplish is that I have had two extremely annoying interior rattles ever since.

The first and the most annoying first started as a rattle inside the driver's side pillar cover (see attached image for exact location). Two unsuccessful "repairs" later, the noise became even more obnoxious. It's a very loud click that occurs when the car is travelling over rough pavement and the chassis flexes. The colder it gets, the louder and more frequent the click becomes. It sounds like two pieces of double-sided tape coming apart. This does not surprise me as the dealership documented using double-sided tape during one of the repair attempts. The click is so obnoxiously loud that can be heard from the rear seats.

The second rattle is a muffled buzzing sound that comes from the rear of the headliner when going over rough pavement. Its not nearly as annoying as the first noise, but it still pisses me off.

The dealership has now tried to repair it FOUR times, with zero results. I don't know what else to do. I mean, what is this, some Maserati? My expectation of a Bentley is a totally silent interior, with zero squeaks, rattles, etc. I paid for it, I enjoyed it for about a month and I want it back. I just don't know how to actually accomplish that.

Does anyone know how I can remove the left side pillar cover and take a look inside? Surely it does not take a nuclear physicist to eliminate a clicking noise?

The roads in NYC have been significantly "upgraded" with a brand new set of potholes and cracks during the last few snowfalls, this car is my daily driver and having to listen to clicking noise for 2 hours a day, 5 days a week annoys the living poo out of me.
Well, you should have bought a Maserati! my one is quiet as a church on a Monday morning and much quieter than the CGT anyday.

in the CGT,above 80m/h, I have A LOT of wind noise generated by the vortex existing in between the front window and the rear window.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:27 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ULSTRUP
In the CGT,above 80m/h, I have A LOT of wind noise generated by the vortex existing in between the front window and the rear window.

Yes, both GT and GTC have that. I wouldn't call it a a lot though, buy yes some. They can change out only the black rubber/metal bit adhered to the window and that might 'fix' it a bit.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Yes, both GT and GTC have that. I wouldn't call it a a lot though, buy yes some. They can change out only the black rubber/metal bit adhered to the window and that might 'fix' it a bit.
Thanks Steven.
I can live with the noise.
being a pilot, I KNOW that wind noise generated by uneven surfaces are almost IMPOSSIBLE to avoid.... my guess is that the the faster you drive the lower the noise will be. The vortex will be ''crushed'' by the pressure and pushed backward....

Old 02-27-2015, 01:29 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmm, being a pilot you'll hopefully appreciate this humor.

In the owner's manual it says you should drive at a minimum of 340.29 m/s (or 1126 f/s) to avoid vortex sound/noise from reaching your ears.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Hmmm, being a pilot you'll hopefully appreciate this humor.

In the owner's manual it says you should drive at a minimum of 340.29 m/s (or 1126 f/s) to avoid vortex sound/noise from reaching your ears.
I'm a private pilot not a jet fighter pilot....what owner's manual are you speaking about, the F18 hornet!

Old 02-27-2015, 07:09 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
You haven't heard wind noise till you get above 160mph with the top down.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:47 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
On the topic regarding brakes. If you have grooved discs they will cause a whirring sound when you are driving along. It is more prevalent alongside walls, etc.
My Jag XJR had this noise and so does my good ladies Volvo V70. Both were fitted with grooved and drilled discs.

Les.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by ExSF
On the topic regarding brakes. If you have grooved discs they will cause a whirring sound when you are driving along. It is more prevalent alongside walls, etc.
My Jag XJR had this noise and so does my good ladies Volvo V70. Both were fitted with grooved and drilled discs.

Les.
Love the Jag XJL but have never driven the R version. I know would I love it all the more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise inside the pillar