Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Emergency trunk release help, am I pulling right cord? Battery is fine.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 08:57 AM
Enterpriser will become famous soon enough
Emergency trunk release help, am I pulling right cord? Battery is fine.

Hi Guys, US version 2005 CGT. My battery is fine however my trunk/boot is stuck closed and the window button will not release nor will remote.

I researched heavily on this forum on how to use the emergency release however I feel like mine looks different than what I have seen in pictures and here online.

I removed the passenger side rear seat bottom and back and the firewall to the trunk is exposed. I see a little left to right tension **** with a pulley attached. I pull it as hard as I can from the left side to the right (as seen in image) but it does nothing. From the pics I have seen online others have a kinda long cord with a T pulley attached.

I also had my wife push down on the trunk while I was tugging at that cord.

Any other options or input before I send her away for a repair?

Thanks so much and I attached an image of the cord I am pulling.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bent.JPG
Views:	3955
Size:	582.7 KB
ID:	392787  

Last edited by Enterpriser; 06-30-2014 at 08:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-30-2014, 09:12 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Yours is different than my 05 CGT. I am assuming the top your picture is the top of the rear seat. Mine is at the top, not on the left. If you've got the correct lever and you are rotating it in the correct direction (i.e. clockwise) you're on the right path. The service manual suggest using plumber's pliers to rotate the lever. Perhaps the cable has slipped or is broken.

Last edited by PMS; 06-30-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:22 AM
Yes, that lever is at the top, for some reason the picture loaded sideways. I can fit a set of needle nose pliers in and tug harder and get more leverage by grabbing the cord but I am afraid to do more damage. I guess I would rather it be stuck closed than stuck open but I am planning a lengthy trip soon and will need to get in there.

I guess the question now that I know I am in the right spot is can I tug on that cord harder or should I just send to tech? If i get the trunk to pop open will it be stuck open then? Thanks as always for the help!

Old 06-30-2014, 09:29 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
I am assuming you tried pressing the Bentley logo on the trunk (as well as trying the remote and the driver's switch).

If you tug harder, you may break the cable or cause it to slip further. However, if you are able to pop the trunk using the emergency cable, I believe you will not have the trunk stuck open. You may need to initialize the electric locking mechanism in order for it to work. Recently, I disconnected the batteries in my car and the trunk wouldn't close properly. After I reconnected the batteries, it took several minutes for the ecu to reset the trunk latching mechanism. As you know, it is a soft closing mechanism wherein you gently close the trunk lid and the lock pulls the trunk down into the final position.

Last edited by PMS; 06-30-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:38 AM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
that cable is a pig to do,any time you attempt it make sure your wife puts good pressure on the trunk, good luck !!..there is another way but it means you will have to reglue the inserts for rear lamp, pm me if you want that way. if you have a vas or can speak to car using bag com, go through the rear body controller and open it that way.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:58 PM
Thanks so much for your input.

Update:

So using a bit more leverage and a screw driver I got the trunk to pop open from within the back seat, I had to really crank the lever to the right while using a screwdriver to pull from underneath the cord lightly. Once opened I tried using key remote, B trunk logo and window trunk release and it wouldnt react, no cycle. I disconnected left side battery and left it undone for a couple minutes and when it restarted it went through its cycle but then would not latch shut and soft close or react to anything anymore.

I called Jose at Bentley of Tysons corner and he gave me some suggestions which I already tried and he offered to have it towed to them for free for a look which is very kind considering I am a good 1.5 hours away.

When the tow truck driver arrived I told him the issue and he focused on the lower bumper mechanism rather than the actual trunk lock which I had been focusing on. He pressed on the 2 flappy parts and pushed and prodded and the soft close immediately began to work, on command and consistent!!

The wife looked at me like what the hell and I just shrugged my shoulders and told him to take it away anyways as it seemed like it needed a look and also a couple lights remained on after my battery disconnect which I am hoping will reset with their tool.

What was my lesson learned, I dont even know!!!

As always thanks for the comments and help. I am hoping for a light bill from Bentley of Tysons corner. Cheers.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I found your last post quite funny. "Wife looking at you like what the hell"? I have been caught looking stupid so many times that i don't even shrug anymore.