Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

AC air distribution strange after flap motors repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 11:40 PM
dskippy888 is an unknown quantity at this point
AC air distribution strange after flap motors repair

After the mechanic replaced my flap motors, the AC is much louder now. I’ve set my AC on auto as I normally do, I hear the blower going at high speed and indeed the screen indicates the blower is in high but not much air comes from the main centre and side vents - almost as if the air is “stuck behind the dash”. Instead I feel the air from that black grill atop the middle of the dash is stronger than before. When I shut the car off I hear a lot of noise behind the dash almost as if tons of pressure is being released. Any thoughts? Mechanic said it’s normal but it’s certainly NOT normal as it never did this before.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:03 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dskippy888
After the mechanic replaced my flap motors, the AC is much louder now. I’ve set my AC on auto as I normally do, I hear the blower going at high speed and indeed the screen indicates the blower is in high but not much air comes from the main centre and side vents - almost as if the air is “stuck behind the dash”. Instead I feel the air from that black grill atop the middle of the dash is stronger than before. When I shut the car off I hear a lot of noise behind the dash almost as if tons of pressure is being released. Any thoughts? Mechanic said it’s normal but it’s certainly NOT normal as it never did this before.
To check each flap in the AC system is through vcds. Going to the air conditioning address and selecting the output test will test each individual flap for proper function. The Ross Tech vcds cable can be bought relatively inexpensively and functions on a Windows 7 or later laptop. Having this tool in hand is a good double check.

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 08-18-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:23 PM
dskippy888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
To check each flap in the AC system is through vcds. Going to the air conditioning address and selecting the output test will test each individual flap for proper function. The Ross Tech vcds cable can be bought relatively inexpensively and functions on a Windows 7 or later laptop. Having this tool in hand is a good double check.
Thanks again! Will get one of these asap (but I'm pretty sure my mechanic had one, just didn't bother to hook it up). I'm assuming there's a function to do a 'reset' of the max/min values of all flaps? seems I will need to give very specific instructions to the mechanic.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:31 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Yes indeed the technician should do the adaptation. Inorder for the new motor to know where open and close positions of all the flaps this procedure must be implemented. Another good reason to get the Ross vcds cable. Hope you get this sorted out soon!

Old 08-30-2019, 12:52 PM
MrVette is on a distinguished road
Definitely not installed correctly. When you push the manual buttons to change where the air comes from does that seem to work to direct the flow to the correct vents?

Not sure about your car but on my car to get recirc air is a manual function. Make sure to try that as well. Recirc has its on activator flap valve and that's the one that often goes bad.

Old 08-31-2019, 06:46 AM
nguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura aboutnguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura about
my car has the Recirculation flap issue also and it did the same thing as you..
I'm on the way to change it but I don't know what is the part no I should Order.. and where is that motor...
does it easy to change or need disassembly the whole DASH?

Old 08-31-2019, 03:07 PM
MrVette is on a distinguished road
I got into this a few years back. If you search for a thread entitled "AC takes a long time to finally produce cool air. Also getting water in gas box." that was started on 8-25-15 You will find photos of the part and the part number. Also lots of discussion and info about AC issues in the dash.

The main flap and recirc flap have the same motor and Bentley recommends they be replaced together.

Although the shop manual says to remove the entire dash to get at the parts I found some later instructions that call for going through the cowl and accessing the parts from behind. I gave those instructions to the VW dealership where I had the work done.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by MrVette
I got into this a few years back. If you search for a thread entitled "AC takes a long time to finally produce cool air. Also getting water in gas box." that was started on 8-25-15 You will find photos of the part and the part number. Also lots of discussion and info about AC issues in the dash.

The main flap and recirc flap have the same motor and Bentley recommends they be replaced together.

Although the shop manual says to remove the entire dash to get at the parts I found some later instructions that call for going through the cowl and accessing the parts from behind. I gave those instructions to the VW dealership where I had the work done.

Ac takes a long time to finally produce cool air. Also getting water in gas box when - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-box-when.html

Good info!!

Old 09-03-2019, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by MrVette

MrVette thank you for the attached information. Today was hot and humid. The air conditioning was crisper and cooler by using the suggested method of turning on recirculation. Turned recirculation off and the hot humid air could be felt, mingling with the air conditioned air. Now I have a better appreciation of the air conditioning at least in my BGT.👍😎