6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   Weird Fault (engine light) (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/358346-weird-fault-engine-light.html)

BentleyBob 02-15-2015 01:41 PM

Weird Fault (engine light)

Hi all,

I have an 06 Bentley GT that I use as my daily driver! (I know I must love buying petrol haha)

Anyway I have a bit of a strange fault. The engine management light seems to come on every time I fill the car up to the brim with petrol, if i keep it at half its fine but when filled I get the light nearly instantly.

Now the error I get when code read is Bank B wastegate solenoid connection error. Or something like that, I cannot remember the exact error.

Does that seem strange, car drives perfect and never stutters or smokes etc.

Thanks to anyone that can help

BentleyBob 02-15-2015 01:45 PM

The code is actually P0247 wastgate solenoid B malfunction.

Is it just a coincidence it happens when I fill up I wonder?

PMS 02-16-2015 08:55 AM

Have you checked your purge canister? Does the car run rough after fillup? Does the Check Engine Light come on and then eventually self-extinguish? As a starting point for reference: http://repairpal.com/canister-purge-valve

BentleyBob 02-16-2015 11:21 AM

Thanks for the reply,

Everyone it's happened ive cleared the code and not left it long enough to know for sure.

How would the purge canister be linked to a turbo solenoid valve then? Seems a bit strange.

PMS 02-16-2015 11:39 AM

Are you in a cold climate? What diag system are you using?
Next time you get the CEL, leave it on and see if it extinquishes after about 25 miles of driving (computer cycle time). I agree that it seems unlikely that a purge canister would trigger a turbo solenoid valve DTC. After you have cleared the CEL, try running your diags again after a few miles and see if the turbo solenoid valve error is still present.

When trying to diagnose these strange events, I try to start with the simplest and least expensive explorations. Do you get any splash back when filling the tank? Obviously, you have checked to ensure that the cap is tight and that the gasket is sound? However, a faulty cap shouldn't trip an error on complete fill up only so I doubt that is a cause.

BentleyBob 02-16-2015 11:49 AM

Thanks again for your help.

I will do exactly as you say, no I have not checked the gasket, I must say I have been literally putting as much petrol as will physically go in the car though if that makes a difference.

If it is just a turbo solonoid and it is actually faulty is it easy to get to? I say that through gritted teeth as I don't quite think anything is easy to get to on these cars.

I just wondered because I could swap A and B and see if the fault moved.

BentleyBob 02-16-2015 11:50 AM

Oh and sorry it has happened in the cold yes but we have only had weather of about -2 at worst.

I am just using a snapon reader. It's a proper bit of kit not their little one but obviously not a Bentley reader.

PMS 02-16-2015 12:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Is the error the "Turbo wastegate solenoid" ? If so, the part # is 3W0612041A. (for bank 1 [left bank when looking at the engine from the front of the car) Here is a diagram of its location (Shudder). See the yellow highlight for #15.

The part # for bank 2 (right bank when looking at the engine from the front) is 3W0612041BM See the second diagram item #51

NOTE: There is also a Turbo Wastegate Bypass control solenoid. Part # 037906283C (see the third diagram) Item #9. There is another turbo wastegate control switch on the opposite side. See item #23 in diagram 3. It is an electric switch over valve.

Aren't you glad you asked?

BentleyBob 02-16-2015 12:54 PM

Wow that looks like an absolubt nightmare!

Would you get at the solonoids from underneath then?

Do you believe it could be number 3 then and not what the error code is saying. Thing is It just seems strange that it's only done it when filled up, maybe I need to put into someone to get it diagnosed fully on a proper computer if that will help.

Frank ( Sunnyside ) 02-16-2015 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by BentleyBob (Post 4292236)
Wow that looks like an absolubt nightmare!

Would you get at the solonoids from underneath then?

Do you believe it could be number 3 then and not what the error code is saying. Thing is It just seems strange that it's only done it when filled up, maybe I need to put into someone to get it diagnosed fully on a proper computer if that will help.

That would be my advice. I've come from a 911 Turbo 996 and could just about do everything my self, I even had the factory PST2 diagnostic computer . I now have a VAS5054a for the Bentley and to be honest I don't like the idea of tackling any issue on the car. I suppose I will have to learn one day :(

I think PMS deserves a rep point for the diagrame ....well done to him.;)

PMS 02-16-2015 01:05 PM

If I had the problem, I would first avoid overfilling the tank. I would let go of the gas pump handle the minute it shut off automatically and NOT resqueeze the handle. I would check the cap and the purge and repair/replace if necessary. If the CEL came on again, I would then clear the code, drive 25 miles and see if it came back on. Whether it does or not, I would check to see if the DTC is still present. If it was, I would get a proper VAS 5054A diagnostic scan performed. If the CEL didn't come back on, and no codes were present, I would consider it solved. :cool:

BentleyBob 02-16-2015 01:14 PM

So when you say check the purge canister you mean just have a look at it for any visible damage?

Do you know where it is? Hidden under a rediculous amount of stuff I imagine.

I'll definately stop filling it right up, I'll make sure cap is done up tight too in future, although I'm pretty sure it is anyway.

PMS 02-16-2015 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnyside (Post 4292247)
That would be my advice. I've come from a 911 Turbo 996 and could just about do everything my self, I even had the factory PST2 diagnostic computer . I now have a VAS5054a for the Bentley and to be honest I don't like the idea of tackling any issue on the car. I suppose I will have to learn one day :(

I think PMS deserves a rep point for the diagrame ....well done to him.;)

Thanks for the kind comment. Like you, I have the VAS 5054A system. I am a system programmer by trade and it has taken me a long, long time getting familiar with it. However, it will generally tell you EVERYTHING and provide step-by-step procedures to solve issues. I generally allow myself a minimum of 1.5 hours to do a diagnostic pass. Often, I spend more than that. If you don't wish to be held ransom by OEM Bentley mechanics, I strongly recommend investing the time and money to get familiar with this system. :)

BentleyBob 02-16-2015 01:19 PM

Is this worth buying then guys?

Maybe there's somewhere I can get it in the uk.

http://www.ecutool.com/VAS-5054A-with-Software-License-and-Bluetooth_1770.html

Will it give me a better idea than a snap on reader?

Frank ( Sunnyside ) 02-16-2015 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by PMS (Post 4292254)
Thanks for the kind comment. Like you, I have the VAS 5054A system. I am a system programmer by trade and it has taken me a long, long time getting familiar with it. However, it will generally tell you EVERYTHING and provide step-by-step procedures to solve issues. I generally allow myself a minimum of 1.5 hours to do a diagnostic pass. Often, I spend more than that. If you don't wish to be held ransom by OEM Bentley mechanics, I strongly recommend investing the time and money to get familiar with this system. :)

Your welcome :)

I think the problem with the VAS is getting experience using it. On one hand you want to get used to it in real life situations but on the other hand you thank God the car hasn't any issues to have to use it.
hilarious

How do you get your experience using it. I try to run through as much as I can even when not connected to the car to familierise my self with the function but I don't really know how to use it properly ?