6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   When I Grow Up……. (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/358541-when-i-grow-upoo.html)

Dr.Disaster 02-18-2015 08:13 AM

When I Grow Up…….

If I do?????:p

Frank ( Sunnyside ) 02-18-2015 03:32 PM

Perhaps you should have said when you grow old hilarious

Don't think I would have one TBH, I like the more sporty look of the GT and it doesn't have Breitling clock :eek:.......nope will stick to the GT :D

stevenrmusic 02-19-2015 05:21 AM

Have never owned a four door car and on my tombstone it can say just that. Must admit Bentley is doing a great job at ruining the look of the GT. Have you seen the new pics/version they just announced?

www.bentleymedia.com/release/620/

Dr.Disaster 02-19-2015 11:44 AM

I am still trying to appreciate the changes they made last time.:(

stevenrmusic 02-20-2015 02:34 AM

Appreciate ????

Look at our model (original body style). The oval theme and the way the curves match all around the car. The original design looks smooth, refined, and complete.

Then came the changes. They added hard lines with the revision and now with the newest version they went full-on discontinuity.

The new Mercedes S Class are looking better and better....

Gene G 02-20-2015 05:30 PM

It is not just Bentley. I love the look of my 2002 ALMS TT much better than the newer models. Mercedes screwed up the look of the SL. I like the look of My SL55 much better than newer models. Mercedes had a great look with the peanut shaped lights. Only Porsche has kept its' iconic look with the 911. Four door cars can also be nice when you get to my age and want to take another couple out for dinner.

ek1 02-21-2015 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by enjoythemusic (Post 4294240)
Have never owned a four door car and on my tombstone it can say just that. Must admit Bentley is doing a great job at ruining the look of the GT. Have you seen the new pics/version they just announced?

www.bentleymedia.com/release/620/

Dont worry, Bentley has you taken care of: http://www.bentleymotors.com/en/mode...nvertible.html

stevenrmusic 02-21-2015 05:35 PM

Looks like they are directly copying Rolls Royce... minus the really cool suicide doors. Hmmm, think my next car needs to have either suicide or gullwing/scissor doors... or no doors (i.e. Ariel Atom). The next vehicle here needs to be something completely silly and impractical too. Maybe a lifted Monster Truck for the NINE feet of snow this past month? Then the Bentley is simply a speed bump to drive over :cool:

stevenrmusic 02-21-2015 08:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Dr. D.,

Not my best Photoshop work, yet here's an easy mod any competent craftsman could do to the GTC. Obviously we 'bookmatch' so the wood is 'split' in the middle and then reversed for one half so it is perfectly symmetrical left side to right, with the darker or lighter bit in the center. Once one is made, we could roll this mod off an 'assembly line' and offer it as aftermarket bits. Chrome slats optional.

Dr.Disaster 02-23-2015 07:58 AM

Steven you are just growing younger, or less mature.:p

I too prefer the rounded flowing unique design of the older body style so i am with you but I do not hate the Gran Convertible idea. It is just a less sporty and less sexy people carrier like the RR. It is a copy of the Wraith.

ek1 02-23-2015 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster (Post 4296653)
Steven you are just growing younger, or less mature.:p

I too prefer the rounded flowing unique design of the older body style so i am with you but I do not hate the Gran Convertible idea. It is just a less sporty and less sexy people carrier like the RR. It is a copy of the Wraith.

I don't think Gran Covertible is the competition of the Wraith. Bentley's Mulsanne line competes with RR Phantom. Bentley Gran Convertible would compete with the RR Phantom Drophead coupe. Bentley CGT competes with the RR Wraith and Flying Spur competes with the Ghost. The Wraith is essentially a 2-door version of the Ghost.

I wish they would make the Mulsanne platform AWD, which would solve all my problems when Bentley releases the next Brooklands. But I met several people from Bentley's marketing dept at a few events and they said that AWD is never coming to the Mulsanne platform.

Dr.Disaster 02-23-2015 11:58 AM

I see the Wraith CGT comparison but I do not think the Gransport is on par with the Phantom Drophead. It might be a smaller cheaper alternative but not an equal. IMHO ,no argument other than friendly intended.

Watch out what kind of cars you crap on, you be buying one some day.:p

ek1 02-23-2015 12:28 PM

Bentley positioned Gran Covertible as a direct competitor to the Drophead:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/20/au...oots.html?_r=0

I am not crapping on RR, but I can't get used to their front end. Probably never will.

Dr.Disaster 02-23-2015 12:35 PM

Does the frame and suspension of the Bentley approximate the RR? If so I could like it very well. I do prefer the front on the Bentley.

Co'mon Steven don't you like this open air two door?

stevenrmusic 02-23-2015 07:55 PM

Yes, I like the RR quite a bit. A LOT actually... if they updated a few things for tech-modern geeks like me. But, you know, next car needs to be something utterly useless per se in any real fashion other than fun to drive. Did the ricer thing, the Ferrari thing, the open wheel racing thing, the Bentley thing...

I KNOW I'm gonna regret asking you this, yet WTF, go for it anyway :D
So what do you consider is the next car for me Dr D? And no, a Reliant Robin DOES NOT count.

Maybe I can somehow sneak a TVR Tuscan convertible past US regs? :D

www.imagejuicy.com/images/exotic-cars/t/tvr-tuscan/1/