Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Continental GT vs Maserati Quattroporte.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:39 PM
ULSTRUP is on a distinguished road

since I own both I thought that comparing them might be of interest for some people here.

obviously, Having owned the CGT for less than a week I certainly haven't discovered half the pro and cons of the car, but still...

engine and driving:

the W12 in the CGT is amazing, the turbo lag is almost non existent and makes it feel like a naturally aspirated engine and the torque curve starts so low that you feel the power is never ending BUT if you compare it to the ,Ferrari based, Maserati engine, you have the feeling that the throttle response is slower and even if the torque of the Maserati is not comparable you really feel the car is ''jumping''.
BUT is just a ''feeling'' since the CGT is both (much) quicker and faster.

some figures are quite clear:

1/ HP/l :
CGT= 93 hp/l
QP = 94 hp/l

2/ weight/HP ratio :
CGT = 4.5kg/hp
QP = 5.2 kg/hp

3/ weight :
CGT = 2425 kg (DIN)
QP = 1990 kg (DIN)

4/ torque:
CGT = 650 NM at 1600
QP = 460 NM at 4500

what is even more interesting are the figures below, it seems obvious that the Bentley engineers did a great, or not so great, job in making the car accelerations so smooth that you ''feel'' the QP is ''jumping'' when the CGT is ''moving''.
it's wrong and your ''guts'' are giving you a false information.

0/100 km /h (0/62 m/h)

CGT = 5.1'
QP = 6'
or even more impressive

0/200 km/h ( 0/124)
CGT = 17.7'
QP = 22.5'

in terms of performance the CGT wins hands down, but you don't have the same feeling DRIVING the car.of course the inertia of the W12 and the weight difference has a lot to do with that feeling.

one sector where the Maserati wins is the engine ''NOISE'' even with the double paned windows nothing can beat the low frequency ''rumble'' of the QP.

Gear box and transmission:

nothing much to say about the gear box since they are the same ZF/6 speed. a few difference in the gear box management are to be noted;
when in sport the QP is more sporty and the gear box response ''seems'' faster (I have no figures to confirm or deny that) the paddle response is better in the CGT, the QP paddles are ''spongy''.
it is a very good gearbox.
the pre 2008 (2009 my) are to be carefully left aside since they are fitted with the ''infamous'' DUO SELECT gear box (born Ferrari). that is a 7500€ repair/replacement every 30k miles or so.

of course the transmissions are totally different the QP being a RWD and the CGT an AWD. on the highway, at legal speed (80m/h) the CGT feels more stable but on a small twisted road I often use with the QP it feels much heavier and less agile. I haven't really tried but I have the ''feeling'' that the cornering speed in the CGT should be better than the QP one but, again, you don't ''feel'' it!

the Bentley is 20 cm shorter than the QP (4.8 m vs 5.05 m) but both are very easy to drive in city except for the very very poor outside view in the CGT.

the braking power is ''day and night'' in favour of the CGT! with the QP you have to be extremely careful and after a few ''hard braking''... you almost don't have brakes.

I'm driving to Denmark next month and I will then try the CGT at high speed (on the very few part where the German autobahn are not limited, un limited autobahn is a legend now)
I have reached 273 km/h (170 m/h) with the QP and at that speed the front axle start to feel very, very light. I will try the same, or better, with the CGT and let you know.

comfort

this is very subjective but I prefer the semi hard comfort of the CGT seats compared to the QP, the seats in the CGT are narrower and the suspension (skyhook) is definitely more supple in the QP. it is without saying that the passenger in the back are much more comfortable with adjustable seats, rear and side windows blind etc..... but then it's a four door to be compared to the FS....
funny enough the boot of the Bentley is double the size of the boot of the QP.

nothing can beat the Bentley interior, but I must say that the inside of the Maserati is not bad at all the leather work and the wood work are both almost comparable, the gearbox lever in the QP is nicer (I don't have the Mulliner) the roof in the CGT is amazing. in a few words they are both very luxurious in their own way.

the design is, again, very subjective, but , for me, the PININ FARINA design of the quattroporte is the best four door design ever achieved in recent car (nothing to compare with the FS or the new QP) the Bentley CGT design is amazing,at least the older version since I feel that the 2016 is looking like a Japanese car, and in my opinion both are becoming collectible in a few years.
the paint is very good in both cars.

I have no experience of the maintenance in the CGT but regarding the Maserati I can confirm that, after driving it for 3 years and nearly 30 kmiles, that the car is very reliable.
a ''standard maintenance'' in the dealer is 1600 € and it has to be done every 12500 mile, changing the rotors and the brake pads cost you 3200€.
the car is now close to 41kmiles and the suspensions are still perfect.
I have had zero problem with the car neither mechanical nor electrical.

all in all, they gave you a very different feeling when you drive them. the Bentley is a GT designed to look like a sport car but feeling like a very powerful saloon (at least in the front) and the QP is a saloon feeling like a sport car when driven as it should be.

I don't know if anyone here has owned both but I should be very interested to have their opinion

Old 02-24-2015, 08:43 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Hi Ulstrup.

Glad that you are enjoying your new toy.
Out of interest, have you tried the Sport mode in the CGT. I notice in mine that the throttle response seems much better in Sport.
Also, have you played around with the 4 different suspension settings. They do make a difference in my opinion. In full hard setting I can definitely throw it around more.

Good written comparison between your two cars by the way.

Regards. Les.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:32 AM
Hi, Les
No, I haven't tried the ''sport'' mode yet. It's too wet around here for the time being....
Yes I have tested the different suspension settings, the full comfort one is, in my opinion, too ''spongy'' and the full ''sport'' is not bad in Monaco where the streets are like glass and on the highways but on the small rural roads around Lorgues they make the car feeling a little ''jumpy'' over the potholes...
all in all I prefer the standard setting but I guess that, for spirited driving, the ''sport'' mode is better and safer.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:41 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Nice post and thanks. I have only driven a couple of the QP and both were the limp six cylinders. Not enough motor for me but they are all the wife will ever need. I expect you were comparing the v8 right?

I would rarely compare a four door to an coupe but i can see why you did and really neither of those are top tier performance cars IMHO. Both have the flaw of trying very hard to be the Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde with out acknowledging that the other exist. When trying to capture performance and luxury some compromises must be made.

I ended up buying the Bentley because I felt luxury was more essential than high performance. Fortunately when you get a GT you do have a nice car than can get up and down the road with power.

I loved you comment about the CGT "moving" and not jumping. It builds speed very deceptively.

Edit PS

I did not see any cost to buy comparison? I am afraid the Bentley might loose that one. Isn't there a $100K difference in new cars?

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 02-25-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:17 PM
Yes, I was comparing the V8, the pre-2011 QP were fitted only with V8.

for 2015 MY, the price difference is not that much, if you want to compare V8 to V8
the Maserati QP GTS today's price is +/- 160 K€ and the CGT V8s price is 191K€
in Monaco/France the W12 GT is a mere 5000 € more than the V8s, whether there is a massive 15000 € difference in between the V8 (175 K€) and the V8s .

the PITA factor is that, to register the car, in between road tax and gas guzzler tax you have to add +/- 12000€ to the above price!

Old 02-26-2015, 04:26 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the detailed report. Am surprised the brakes on the Ferraseratti are lackluster.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:18 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Yeh those numbers are close enough to amide the cars comparable from the fiscal side. I am glad my wife is not a power ***** like me and if I buy one I can get away with the six cylinder.

I do not know about what is considered noteworthy in your area but the GTC is way more rare and prestigious around here, if that matters. If not get a 911.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:53 AM
you could call it a fiatserati also!
I guess they fitted the FIAT 500 rotors/pad on the car!! really the brakes are almost dangerous in that car.

Dr D, I don't advise you to consider the six cylinders for the QP! if you want a 6 cylinder buy a GHIBLY at least it's lighter, the QP with the 6 looses its ''Italian flair'' .
I didn't consider the GTC, I prefer the design of the CGT; I feel that the GTC is like the AMDB9 volante the coupe is nicer.
and..now that I have lost most of my hair I don't want to catch a cold.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:38 AM
"Italian Flair"???? I do not think my wife even knew that the Masser was an Italian car till I told her. She just likes the name and the sporty look. PLease do not give her any information that would cost me more money. I'd be just as happy if she kept the Audi A7.

I do agree about the look of the coupe having some nicer profile lines and wins the competition UNTIL the roof is lowered on the convertible. I needed a drop top and did not even consider a car unless it had that feature. My only criteria when I was shopping was that it be an upscale two door convertible.

The Ghibly is a little small for her and we need a four adult comfortable car.

If I was at least a half time driver I would go for the V8 for sure but I would have to consider the larger Jaguar XJL with the larger motor also. The Jag was a larger luxury ride but giving up the more sporty character of the Maserati.

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 02-26-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:14 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute

Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2015, 10:55 AM
If you go that way let's make friends in the jaguar forum by calling it an English pudding in curry sauce....

Old 02-27-2015, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by ULSTRUP
If you go that way let's make friends in the jaguar forum by calling it an English pudding in curry sauce....
I'm sure they would like that about as much as i like hearing that the GT is just a VW Phaeton. The truth is most all modern cars share so many parts and origins that soon we will have one car manufacture and only different names. NASCAR has already gone there.

I really like something about most all upscale cars.

OH BTW they wife did confirm she never knew the Maserati was an Italian. It was mostly a looks thing. Heck if they made a four banger I could get a way with that, for her.

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 02-27-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:58 PM
''OH BTW they wife did confirm she never knew the Maserati was an Italian. It was mostly a looks thing. Heck if they made a four banger I could get a way with that, for her.''

You have to re read my post about the FS!!
be careful our women could be surprising

Old 02-28-2015, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by ULSTRUP
''OH BTW they wife did confirm she never knew the Maserati was an Italian. It was mostly a looks thing. Heck if they made a four banger I could get a way with that, for her.''

You have to re read my post about the FS!!
be careful our women could be surprising
There is no way to friendly arguing with you this time, game, set, match.

She followed my to the Harley dealer one time to drop my bike off and she ran the crap outta the GTC, averaging 80mph and well into the 90's. She admitted that she would get a ticket if drove that car much.

I will just have to see what the money situation looks like when it is time to really go out and buy something. I like the big motors and i do control the $.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:55 AM
glh
glh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud ofglh has much to be proud of
Through all this reading the funny thing is that the CGT is 959 pounds heavier than the Maserati or close to 22% heavier and still performs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Continental GT vs Maserati Quattroporte.