Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley continental GT Bonnet / Hood Light wont stay off??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 03:04 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
You'll never guess what the 07 GTC is doing now. Fixed one problem a few weeks back (P2438 so replaced the Bosch part) and now this intermittent hood dash light problem has cropped up. Anyone have the procedure to access the switch/latch so I can remove the connectors? Many thanks as ALL help is ALWAYS appreciated.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:13 PM
Nrick70 is on a distinguished road
You don't need to remove anything to turn the lights off, there is a black waterproof connector on the inside of the bonnet just behind the slam panel, one either side. I'll try to take a picture if I get chance.

I am going to take mine off and see if I can repair it/clean it. There is a couple of microswitches one for each side that you used to be able to buy, but now they only sell the whole slam panel. Just make sure the bonnet is actually down

Old 10-26-2015, 03:44 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks! Was not sure if I had to remove the slam panel and all those black hex bolts to access it all. The Molex plugs on the GTC seem to have zip ties keeping them in place and maybe the connector is just hard to separate.... or do I also cut the zip ties??? Thanks as a pic or two would be VERY helpful!!!

Old 10-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Nrick70 is on a distinguished road
Mine weren't zip tied, but I didn't do the removing of the plugs

Old 08-18-2019, 12:49 PM
Rico.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
This is an old post re the Anti-Theft switch on the bonnet catches, 2 off, my O/S fell off today showing me the bonnet is open, took it off and put some tape round it to close the circuit for now, doesn't affect the alarm or the light in the panel as the other one still works.
Now heres the problem, one cant by just buy the switch it's the whole panel at around £450 + Tax. Ive found a company that may have these but until the morning I won't have an answer, If anyone knows if these switches are available do let us know ...

Old 08-18-2019, 02:48 PM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
Rico - try this .
bonnet / hood light can be turned off without a new mechanism.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-stuck-gt.html

Old 08-18-2019, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by John Fiammetta
Rico - try this .
bonnet / hood light can be turned off without a new mechanism.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-stuck-gt.html
Hello John, Thank you so much for that info, I took the switch off both parts & put it back together taped it up so the switch is closed in circuit, as the bonnet has 2 of these switches it still works as in when the bonnet is open the light shows on the panel in the dash, when the bonnet is closed the light is out, only thing is its only working on one switch, it will do for now until I find a new switch or just leave it as it is ... Thanks Mate ...

Last edited by Rico.Adams; 08-18-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:25 PM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
Interestingly I have a mate with a C4S and it was damaged in a hail storm requiring a few panels inc roof .
Chartwells a well known high end body shop near Derby did the insurance work .
Took a while , he lives nearby so used to pop in weekly.
surprisingly talking to the techs in there there were 5 Bentley GTs in .
All had damage from the bonnet / hood flying open while running and folding back and denting the A pillars and roof .
He was told by the techs they get a steady stream of B GT ,s in with the same issue .

So why ?
They suspect owners are not latching it down properly, some ones refitted a new latch unit ( to repair the micro switches) and not quite adjusted it .Or owners / techs have balked at the price and disconnect them so inadvertently been running about with it not quite closed .All speculation.

Nether the less Chartwells can have 50 high end cars in at any time and always a few GT s with damage from bonnets flying open .

To me that says .......
Design fault - I don’t think so .Normal VAG com system used across the range .
or someone been messing about with the actual latches - most likely in my book .
Or owners don’t properly latch it shut .

Hand book says don’t drop it !
Just close it and push it down with both hands spread equally and the “B” goes down .

Maybe the traditional drop from a few inches eventually causes miss alignment of the latch but the micro switch does not see the hook so no warning light ? Next thing it flys open creases the A pillars ?

So take care if you end up dismantling the latch / lock mechanism.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by John Fiammetta
Interestingly I have a mate with a C4S and it was damaged in a hail storm requiring a few panels inc roof .
Chartwells a well known high end body shop near Derby did the insurance work .
Took a while , he lives nearby so used to pop in weekly.
surprisingly talking to the techs in there there were 5 Bentley GTs in .
All had damage from the bonnet / hood flying open while running and folding back and denting the A pillars and roof .
He was told by the techs they get a steady stream of B GT ,s in with the same issue .

So why ?
They suspect owners are not latching it down properly, some ones refitted a new latch unit ( to repair the micro switches) and not quite adjusted it .Or owners / techs have balked at the price and disconnect them so inadvertently been running about with it not quite closed .All speculation.

Nether the less Chartwells can have 50 high end cars in at any time and always a few GT s with damage from bonnets flying open .

To me that says .......
Design fault - I don’t think so .Normal VAG com system used across the range .
or someone been messing about with the actual latches - most likely in my book .
Or owners don’t properly latch it shut .

Hand book says don’t drop it !
Just close it and push it down with both hands spread equally and the “B” goes down .

Maybe the traditional drop from a few inches eventually causes miss alignment of the latch but the micro switch does not see the hook so no warning light ? Next thing it flys open creases the A pillars ?

So take care if you end up dismantling the latch / lock mechanism.
That is very bizarre ... Ive known cars and bonnets fly open but these cars only have one latch, but even then these latches have a safety as in pull the handle to open bonnet comes up then one has to un latch it, as the GT's, one has to pull the handle then pull the B to lift the bonnet, But saying that our Bentley's have to latches and a safety, wow for all 3 to fail is unbelievable to say the least, As for closing the bonnet its on 2 gas struts pull it slightly it goes down its self onto the safety latch then one has to push it to close, I bet some of the owners are just letting the bonnet close on its safety thinking is locked like soft closing doors and the boot, I can see the mistake they making easy done as when the bonnet goes down on its own on the gas struts it clicks into place on the safety thats where they are leaving it thinking its locked, but saying that the light in the dash will not go out until the bonnet is locked into place, so to conclude maybe both switches are faulty & someone just chopped the micro switch & twisted the pairs of wires together ... its something to think about John but good you bought it up ...

Last edited by Rico.Adams; 08-18-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:43 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Noticed one of the little wires broke off at the sensor. Cleaned up the little hole where the wire went into the sensor with a pick. Then I put a dab of solder on the wire end. Got a good soaking of solder on the soldering gun, put everything in the little hole and luckily soldered it back in. Than used small wire tie to take the strain off the wire so this doesn't happen again.

This was a blind faith solder. Because the terminal to solder is embedded in plastic I probably got lucky. Difficult to see what is soldering because it is a small space.

Try this first might save some money for the new mirror turning indicator lens.😉

Old 08-19-2019, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
Noticed one of the little wires broke off at the sensor. Cleaned up the little hole where the wire went into the sensor with a pick. Then I put a dab of solder on the wire end. Got a good soaking of solder on the soldering gun, put everything in the little hole and luckily soldered it back in. Than used small wire tie to take the strain off the wire so this doesn't happen again.

This was a blind faith solder. Because the terminal to solder is embedded in plastic I probably got lucky. Difficult to see what is soldering because it is a small space.

Try this first might save some money for the new mirror turning indicator lens.😉
Hi 1eapplebaum ... Im a little lost on what you've soldered, there is nothing wrong with my indicator other than some fool stole the lens, Ive ordered 2 new indicators as Bentley don't do lenses due to the lens fixed with glue to the main unit. Ive taken the N/S indicator off & striped it, I'll post pics later to show how simple it is to remove the indictor and to remove the lens to clean ...

Old 08-19-2019, 08:06 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Rico.Adams
Hi 1eapplebaum ... Im a little lost on what you've soldered, there is nothing wrong with my indicator other than some fool stole the lens, Ive ordered 2 new indicators as Bentley don't do lenses due to the lens fixed with glue to the main unit. Ive taken the N/S indicator off & striped it, I'll post pics later to show how simple it is to remove the indictor and to remove the lens to clean ...
Was referencing repair to the hood latch sensor posted yesterday. Just making a side reference to the other posting on the regrettable turning indicator lens.

Was suggesting a possible repair to the hood latch sensor to save money for the new turning indicator lens.😉

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 08-19-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
Was referencing repair to the hood latch sensor posted yesterday. Just making a side reference to the other posting on the regrettable turning indicator lens.

Was suggesting a possible repair to the hood latch sensor to save money for the new turning indicator lens.😉
ahh you mean Bonnet as in Hood ... LOL ...
the O/S anti-theft switch on the bonnet (hood) come off looks like its broke, the switch is in 2 parts so what Ive done is pushed it together & taped it up, need a new one. as the circuit is in parallel so if one doesn't work the circuit still works ... i could just cut the switch out & connect the 2 wires ...

Old 08-19-2019, 08:55 AM
Ok so I dismantled the indictor, if anyone wants to clean the lens which is impossible without removing the lens ...
First turn the mirror (glass) all the way to the left as in outwards, stick your finger or 2 into the gap & pull gently the glass will come off its centre mounting, disconnect the 2 wire top & bottom the unplug the connector, once the glass is out the way unscrew the 2 screws the indicator can be removed.
Heres the difficult part you need to remove the lens from the main unit, to do this you'll need a sharp knife like the one in the pic, once that is apart clean it all out.
Some of you may have read i one of the post that I ditched superglue Lol ... yes I did ... I was referring to domestic superglue the one in the pic is top class & once stuck not easy to remove.
Have a look at the pics & any questions please ask ...

Old 03-06-2020, 05:34 AM
H-M3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rico did you manage to sort out the bonnet switch issue buddy?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bentley continental GT Bonnet / Hood Light wont stay off??