Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Pain And Pleasure: Bentley GT / GTC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:13 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ek1
Definitely true about the depreciation cost of a Bentley, but one may also argue that the servicing cost + depreciation of Jaguar Type R convertible over four year period is equal to the cost of a brand new BMW 3-series convertible.

Shhhh... (Whispered) i'll be at Bee-Em-Vee's factory in Munich in a few days.

But.....but.....you can't break speed records by driving a BMW or a Jaguar on a beach at 180Mph
Depends on.... yet on the way to the beach a few years back was lasered at 101 in a 55. Hmmm, strange as that started my love for fast street bicycles, since it was my only choice for transportation per se for a few months. Got that up to over (insert insane number here)mph and passed many cars going down the mountain. You shoulda seen the look on car driver's faces as I passed them on the road

It's also why I don't get a Ducati. The outcome would be obvious. Something about being within a steel cage/car, it's a bit.... safer.

I don't recall usable Ferraris for $35K even at the height of the recession. I remember it being more like $100K and those were cars sold by questionable dealers with no proven service records.
37k for a mint condition full records 1985 308QV Euro spec, which was tracked until the motor finally had enough of that

Attached Images   

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 05-08-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:20 PM
cdavis43 is on a distinguished road
Dr. D

Originally Posted by dr.disaster
btw i was disappointed after a thread title like that to find no sex.
lol.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:31 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Sheeesh! Tough crowd! Ok, here ya go Dr. D as you requested this

Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Oh Lord I love the McLaren MP4-12C. That is the only car that I would really like to own other that the one I do. What are they going for in a two or three year old?

Steven are you sure you were not trying to buy a Fo-rrari? One of the kit cars?

Cliff there were pics but we can't post them.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:49 PM
LOL Dr. D.

Go ahead and post picks. I double dog dare you

Old 05-09-2015, 09:31 PM
ULSTRUP is on a distinguished road
I guess you recognise my R8 for my previous photos?
best sport car I ever owned.

and a photo of the car being detailed, for Dr D eyes only.....

Old 05-10-2015, 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by ULSTRUP
I guess you recognise my R8 for my previous photos? Best sport car I ever owned.

Nice pics! Alas didn't see a car in the second pic. Is there an automobile within that pic

Dr. D, the McLaren 675LT ticks all the right boxes for a street/track fun car for me. Talk about immense speed, great design with proper downforce, etc... plus sex-on-wheels styling! Still, WOW that MP4-12C looks darn interesting and tempting for around $160k for sure.

http://cars.mclaren.com/675LT

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 05-10-2015 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:34 PM
jpohl402 will become famous soon enoughjpohl402 will become famous soon enough
Absolutely love the photos out away from the big city!!!
Thanks for contributing Steve, the Bentley GT and GTC is truly a remarkable car, one of my top two faves!!

Old 05-15-2015, 11:18 PM
The folks from Bee-Em-Vee were incredibly helpful and kind these past few days. Love Germany.... fun fun fun on the Autobahn

Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2015, 07:38 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I don't know how to post pictures. Lovely wives you guys have.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by ek1
Steven - if you want to hear about "industry-leading devaluation/depreciation", speak to any owner of a Mclaren MP4-12C that bought new and wanted to trade his car in in the last 6 months . However, I do agree with you that low(er) depreciation does not buy happiness. Just ask Ferrari folks...
Why does this car fall off so fast? Is it any more than other high end cars?

Old 05-18-2015, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
Why does this car fall off so fast? Is it any more than other high end cars?

They all pretty much do nowadays. There is bucketloads of money to buy the newest ones plus extremely high service costs after warranty expiry doesn't help matters. Also keep in mind these are mass produced vehicles, not just 100 or so like the old days of true hand-built exotics. Then stuff the dealership with new models to unload in hopes they can move them before the newer year ones arrive. Wait it out Dr. D, as the upcoming crash will be an EPIC buying time.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 05-18-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:45 AM
I am not sure I really am in the market for anything else and may just keep what i have. That Ferrari you pictured looked way to old for me to consider. if I was I would need to go for an F430 at least.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:14 PM
ULSTRUP is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stevenrmusic
The folks from Bee-Em-Vee were incredibly helpful and kind these past few days. Love Germany.... fun fun fun on the Autobahn

this WRAITH looks much bigger than the CGT! have you tried it?
what is your feeling about the finishing of the car?

Old 05-21-2015, 04:32 AM
Yes it is physically larger and has far more 'presence' than the Bentley. It does not pretend to be a 4500 lbs 'sports car' of course as is about as heavy as a Bentley. Of course we all know the Bentley is basically a VW, the Roller is basically a BMW. Came away very impressed with Rolls Royce and the factory's customer service seems exemplary from what I've been reading online. My 'local' dealer (Bentley Boston) carries both brands, which is great because I love their service department.

Really enjoyed the modern tech in the Roller and there is plenty of properly-positioned front storage for a drink, real ashtrays (two, one for each front passenger ), nice storage for the umbrella, etc etc etc. Obviously RR is on a far higher level of luxury than Bentley in many respects.

Have not test driven a Roller recently (have quite a few different models in the past) because.... There is a new model coming out soon with some improvements/features as compared to their current lineup. Am looking for more luxury, a company that stands behind their product's quality, offers more comfort, plus has a powerful engine and the Roller delivers this where the Bentley is.... you know.

It is about preference of course and could just give the wife the GTC or trade it in. Am waiting for a few things to happen in the market/business plus RR needs to release the new model. The factory is going to contact me when they have all the details set.

My only quibble is that while the seats are far more comfortable than the Bentley (am a 33" waist / 185 lbs so not a fatty), RR needs to add the seat bit that moves/adjusts just behind your knees. They said they have this now and are implementing it in the future models. It was not in the car I was assessing in Germany.

Am basically doing some research now for a future change of vehicle. We'll see where things are once winter comes about as i'll be in Singapore (again) this winter for three months so no rush. The GTC should be good enough for some fun Vermont mountain holidays already planned this summer. Might even drive her to our family home on the beach at Longboat Key, FL. Thinking about going to South Beach to hookup with some financial friends in September, so makes sense to make it a fun cross-country drive.

FYI: Typical me looks, researches, and considers, then seeks out good deals. This can take upwards of 12+ months and am frankly in no rush. Worst (financial) decisions have been made that way when it comes to cars so I've learned to just be patience and the right car/deal will eventually find me. It's not like the GTC is a punter mind you, yet am looking for something that ticks the right boxes for true luxury and not a 'tween' thing like the GT/GTC.

Think it could be fun driving to Florida in a GTC and leaving with a Roller, as I once worked for a USA-based RR dealer and so have friends there

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 05-21-2015 at 04:37 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pain And Pleasure: Bentley GT / GTC