6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   Extremely loud cracking sound from speakers? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/366308-extremely-loud-cracking-sound-speakers.html)

lefizzet 06-05-2015 06:11 PM

Extremely loud cracking sound from speakers?

Hey all, a couple hours ago I started up the 2005 cgt, put it in reverse, and backed up a couple of feet before there was a deafening sound almost like a static shock booming from the speakers. It lasted less than half a second but it was so loud it scared the **** out of me. I put it in park and checked to see if anything was acting abnormally, but everything seems fine. I thought I blew my speakers but the volume was set to zero and when I turned it up it the radio worked fine. Any idea what this could be? Thanks.

PMS 06-06-2015 08:12 AM

I had the exact same thing happen twice in a two-week period. In each case, the radio didn't work at all immediately after. When I turned the key off and on, everything was normal. It is very scary as I first thought I had backed over something. :eek: I ran the diags and didn't get any errors. Hmmm? It hasn't happened since, but I hold my breath each time I put the car in reverse. I'll share whatever I discover.

lefizzet 06-06-2015 08:43 AM

Hmm..thanks for the input. That's really odd. Both times that it happened were you in reverse? And do you remember if your park distance control was beeping? My PDC was beeping right before it happened.

PMS 06-06-2015 08:48 AM

"yes", it happened immediately after shifting into reverse (after startup). "No", my PDC was not beeping. Like you, I had the radio volume at zero.

stevenrmusic 06-06-2015 09:44 AM

Hmm... Never had that happen yet did recently service the car at the dealership.

Question: Did you guys recently have the car serviced? If so, when? Am curious if it is due to a new 'firmware' update on the car.

lefizzet 06-06-2015 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by stevenrmusic (Post 4351682)
Hmm... Never had that happen yet did recently service the car at the dealership.

Question: Did you guys recently have the car serviced? If so, when? Am curious if it is due to a new 'firmware' update on the car.

Haven't gotten the car serviced since last year, but nothing software related. just oil change and fixed a leaking A/C hose. Sitting at just over 35k miles, 2005.

PMS 06-06-2015 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by stevenrmusic (Post 4351682)

No software/firmware updates...just routine maintenance (e.g. oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, etc.). Car has 53,000 miles on it (2005).