6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   Bentley GT Main Battery Dilemma (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/369233-bentley-gt-main-battery-dilemma.html)

John R. Allen 12-22-2018 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT (Post 4547144)
Emergency manual access lever is behind right rear seat.

Do you have instructions for removing the rear seats?

1eapplebaum 12-22-2018 08:46 AM

Not a difficult project. Search online: "Remove rear seat Bentley Continental". There is a YouTube video by Luke at Alpine Performance.

John Fiammetta 01-02-2019 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ContinentalGT05 (Post 4727737)
hello again all. Good to be back. Recall I’m the guy lives nyc and my public garage does not allow use of chargers. Well. I found one spot in the garage where their maintenance team had rigged an extension cable from a roof connector, I’m able to charge it overnight about every two weeks and all was wel... till.. it stopped working. I think one of the garage maintenance guys messed with the rigged extension and now, when I test the connection with a standard 115v reading light the light flashes. So I guess there is power still there but a wrongly connected wire.
Im capable but reluctant to fiddle with the live electrics.
While I can flip the ignition key and start the car using the right hand battery my primary concern is I believe using the alternator to constantly be recharging a low charge battery will eventually burn out the alternator which is an engine out job... hence the concern.
My options are
1) fiddle with building live outlet electrics- rather not
2) drive car say every 2 weeks for enough miles (how many ?) to recharge from 2 weeks with car sat idle.

3) idle engine without driving . How many hours ? What revs ?
4) disconnect one or both batteries while Car not in use this might be an option ( one issue might be if I disconnect batteries then it’s hard to access trunk so maybe need to build cable extensions from battery to ski opening on back seat so I can connect / disconnect batteries from back seat without accessing trunk . Also , if I disconnect main but keep starter battery live can I still flip ignition key to share batteries and start ?

Maybe im being too paranoid , maybe the alternator can handle say 2 or 3 weeks of Car sat idle then use alternator to charge ? But maybe it can’t and I’ll end up with engine out. ( current mileage 27k)

I’d welcome any guidance on the above

You could try one of theses and park the car in the best lit place .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-5W-12V-...YAAOSw-olaISo1

I often have to leave my car in a marina car park for a few weeks at a time . Ok daylight bright sun but it’s better than nothing ,seems to have worked .

gregwarner 01-04-2019 09:04 AM

Good morning...
ive been all around the site but have not seen an answer for my particular situation. I have a 2010 GTC Speed. I am taking it to Florida where it will sit in the secure underground garage at my condo for 4 to 5 weeks between visits. There is no way to hook up the battery tender, so what is the best option? I’m now kind of regretting my decision buying this car. Can I turn off any of the devices that drain the battery? Alarm? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

John R. Allen 01-04-2019 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by gregwarner (Post 4758435)
Good morning...
ive been all around the site but have not seen an answer for my particular situation. I have a 2010 GTC Speed. I am taking it to Florida where it will sit in the secure underground garage at my condo for 4 to 5 weeks between visits. There is no way to hook up the battery tender, so what is the best option? I’m now kind of regretting my decision buying this car. Can I turn off any of the devices that drain the battery? Alarm? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I saw a car that had a switch, like this pic, that shuts the power off to the entire car. I was thinking about something like this as well.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...0fe149e8c1.jpg

bchichi 03-11-2019 11:52 AM

Replaced batteries in our 2007 Bentley GTC and am still having issues

I replaced both batteries in our 2007 Bentley GTC and am still having issues. It will start right up and drive perfectly but sometimes, after just driving it, it will fail to start.
It happened again last night after driving 20 miles to an event and than home again 3 hours latter. It started right up for our drive home.
We stopped at a gas station a mile from our home after exiting the freeway. After shutting down the car to ad fuel, It wouldn't start.
I jump started the car, connecting to the back up battery, thanks to a good samaritan. It started right up and we drove it home only a few blocks away. Shut it down in the garage and tried to start it again, and it started right up! I am thinking my problem might be the starter system and not the batteries? Can anyone help me figure this beast out? It did dim the interior dash and groan before starting after we got home, like there is a major drain.... It started right up again this morning.
Any ideas would be helpful. We love driving this car but am getting sacred to take it out .....

Samhain 03-11-2019 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by bchichi (Post 4770845)
I replaced both batteries in our 2007 Bentley GTC and am still having issues. It will start right up and drive perfectly but sometimes, after just driving it, it will fail to start.
It happened again last night after driving 20 miles to an event and than home again 3 hours latter. It started right up for our drive home.
We stopped at a gas station a mile from our home after exiting the freeway. After shutting down the car to ad fuel, It wouldn't start.
I jump started the car, connecting to the back up battery, thanks to a good samaritan. It started right up and we drove it home only a few blocks away. Shut it down in the garage and tried to start it again, and it started right up! I am thinking my problem might be the starter system and not the batteries? Can anyone help me figure this beast out? It did dim the interior dash and groan before starting after we got home, like there is a major drain.... It started right up again this morning.
Any ideas would be helpful. We love driving this car but am getting sacred to take it out .....

Do the 2007 Continentals have that trick where on not starting, you can twist the key the opposite way, then back regular way to crank to use both batteries to start the car? My Phaeton can do this but haven't tried it on my Conti yet. Won't solve your prob long-term but may be helpful next time it won't start....

Johnny Hotspur GT 03-11-2019 01:10 PM

Hello Bchichi,
When did you replace the batteries, how long does the vehicle sit between uses, do you have a battery tender hooked up, also just note, you do not have a "backup battery", the left hand battery is the house battery, and the right side battery is the starter battery, also when jump starting you should follow the instructions in your manual, you do NOT hookup the cables to just one battery as per Bentley instructions, and before you would ever think of using an other vehicle to jumpstart your car, you would use the emergency start procedure by turning the key in the ignition to the left the engage the battery parallel switch that ties both batteries together allowing a startup if just one of the batteries is low.

Originally Posted by bchichi (Post 4770845)

Johnny Hotspur GT 03-11-2019 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Samhain (Post 4770867)
Do the 2007 Continentals have that trick where on not starting, you can twist the key the opposite way, then back regular way to crank to use both batteries to start the car? ..

Yes, they do.

bchichi 03-11-2019 06:22 PM

Yes Samhain, it has that feature but that did not work this time, or last time.

bchichi 03-11-2019 06:36 PM

Hello Johnny,
I replaced both batteries 3 weeks ago and the car sits for two weeks at a time. I did hook up on both batteries a special fast connect harness to use my Battery Saver /tender chargers with a built in computer to pultz-charge them and it does also diagnose them when connected. But haven't use it since I install the new batteries 3 weeks ago because it started right up the last few time I drove it, like yesterday, when we took it to the show. When it wouldn't start last night, I did try turning the key to the left and back to the right to switch over batteries but it still didn't start up. It seem to drag but didn't have enough to start the car.
I do understand about what each batteries does so excuse me for calling the starter battery (on the right side) the back-up.

1eapplebaum 03-11-2019 07:03 PM

I'm not there so here's my suggestion. First make sure that all the terminals & clamps are squeaky clean, that means no corrosion . Make sure none of the clamps are loose.

Next if this doesn't solve the problem, have a competent shop check the alternator output function. From 2000 miles away sounds like the charging system isn't functioning right or something is loose or corroded. This is the first step & hopefully the last if it fixes the problem.

bchichi 03-11-2019 07:12 PM

Thank you 1eappebaum I will do the checks you suggest and see if I missed anything.

Thanks for your input. I got my fingers crossed.

Chichi

Samhain 03-11-2019 07:26 PM

I've heard of people having intermittent starting issues as a result of a fault in the immobilizer (anti-theft) module. I don't know much about it except that this might cause the same symptom.

Johnny Hotspur GT 03-12-2019 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Samhain (Post 4770927)
I've heard of people having intermittent starting issues as a result of a fault in the immobilizer (anti-theft) module. I don't know much about it except that this might cause the same symptom.

That's true, but then it should not crank at all as the immobilizer would be active via the KESSY module that is located under the carpet on the drivers side floorboard, do you have any wetness on the floors ?
I would take a voltage reading of each battery first, they should be between 12.7 and 13.2 volts fully charged, or take the vehicle to where you purchased the batteries and have them tested for voltage and load, it could be that the batteries where sitting on the shelve for a while and were not fully charged, and the short drives and no tender did not help, just had it happen to me with the A8L W12, put it in the car and was only good for 2 starts, it was on the shelve 6 months plus, I went right back and got one less then 20 days old.