6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   Another Happy Owner (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/373195-another-happy-owner.html)

hdc4 09-10-2015 12:46 PM

Another Happy Owner

Hello Everyone, I've been lurking on this Bentley thread for a while so I thought I'd formally show myself.

I was fortunate enough to find my perfect car a year and a half ago (2010 GT Speed, Silver Tempest with porpoise & portland interior with dark walnut and light contrast stitching). The previous owner installed a Passport 9500ci so that stress is alleviated. The car came with high miles (for a Bentley) but so far has been amazing.

I've had to do a bit of maintenance to get the car prefect. The two most positive non essential things I've done are:
1) getting the engine de-carbonized; I thought the engine was smooth when I first purchased it but its even smoother now, and has a slight increase in torque.

2) adding Tune2Air to the ipod adapter. Tune2Air basically adds a little bluetooth audio streaming dongle to the end of the built in ipod wire. If you have the ipod kit in your car its well worth getting this simple little adapter. I even use it to get directions over my phone from google maps (man that audi navigation system is lame)

Things to do in the future:
-Carbotech break pads (the oem pads perform well but are too dusty in my opinion, carbotech are better and less dusty)

-New Tires (wore through the P-Zeros that came with the car and feel that the ride is too rough on Houston roads. I really don't like how slick they are before warming up in the winter. I just ordered a set of Continental DWS 06 to see how they behave (expect less grip on the hot days, more in the cold and rain).

-Transmission Flush (my car is approaching 48,000 miles and the transmission sometimes feels clunky / slow after spirited driving.

Thanks to George for the Bentley GT DIY pdf, I read through the whole thing and learned an awful lot about the car.

Are there any maintenance things you guys would recommend keeping an eye out for? This is my daily driver when I'm in town.

My wife and I were recently talking about whats next after this car. I think we've been so spoiled that there really isn't anything else but another Bentley. The problem is that the only things I really like about refreshed models are the headlights and updated entertainment system (not enough to justify swapping cars yet). IMO, this years new body details are a step in the wrong direction so I wouldn't purchase that.

Thanks to all of you for all the information you share on this site, its made this car experience even better.

ExSF 09-11-2015 01:45 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Enjoy the car as much as the rest of us seem to do. Definitely a smile a mile.

48K is nothing to these cars. My Indy has a few customer cars with over 150K on them and all run just fine. In fact, he has just bought a GT himself and when you bear in mind that this guy was the Bentley worldwide flying doctor when the GT was first introduced, it gives you a bit of confidence in them.

Les.

ULSTRUP 09-11-2015 10:29 AM

welcome.
regarding your new tires you should have a look at the MICHELIN SUPER SPORT.
I just return to France from Denmark after having a set fitted to the car, they are amazing!

Frank ( Sunnyside ) 09-11-2015 03:26 PM

Hi Welcome , nice choice of car.

How about some pictures......they say a thousand words. :)

Frank

hdc4 09-13-2015 11:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It's good to hear there aren't any major problems with high miles. Do you know when the timing chain is supposed to be replaced?

ULSTRUP, the Michelin Pilot Super Sports were my second choice and i still might go to them if I'm not satisfied with these DWS06's after break-in. I've had them on 4 days (increased the size to 275/40R20 like the newer cars have) and are pretty impressed. The tire is obviously heavier than the Pzero but it's a huge huge difference how they ride on the bad roads here (on and off freeway). No more harsh bumps and jerkey grabbing on rough grades. They don't have as much feeling as the Pzero but are also not as squishy as the older DWS. In the end I choose them because I plan on taking the car on a trip to the North East this winter.

Here are a some pics of the car when I purchased it. The newer tires fill out the wheel well with some more meat.:D

ULSTRUP 09-13-2015 10:57 PM

Nice car! I like the color combo.
I have been doing 5000km+ this summer and I must say that the MSS are much better than the original P Zero.
less noisy, better handling and better grip.

since I go often to Denmark I plan to change them in october and have Pirelli winter tires fitted for the winter, I don't believe the MSS are any good in the snow.

jim2331 01-19-2017 04:57 PM

....congratulations....I have had the 2010 Speed since new...Nov 2009...just an excellent car, just turned 20,000 miles...my experience with dealer service has been a mixed bag...keep the battery charged...I am in process of trying to install new Main battery, the car has 2 batterys one on right side for starting and the left Main for everything else including running...check out the battery forum thread...JimB

John Ingram 01-02-2019 06:16 PM

Bentley CGT rear spoiler issue.

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help, I'm having trouble with the rear aero wingl on my 06 CGT.
I've stripped it out to grease the cables etc and when I fit it all back together it seems that the motor only wants to run one way. No matter which way I press the buttons on the centre console the aero wing wants to go in the up direction to the point where it pushes the cables out of the little plastic holding clips. I've tried connecting the motor when the aero foil is in both the upper and lower positions with no such luck.
I wondered if there was some kind of reset procedure for the spoiler position before connecting the motor or some other trick that someone may share with me?
Regards,
John.

John Fiammetta 01-03-2019 01:57 AM

The wires and there are many pass through an unbiblical on the LHS of the trunk lid corner .
Eventually one or more breaks inside or near that tube .Before going any further check / find the “ open circuit “
Do you have the spoiler warning light in the dash ?

Tommyguns 01-03-2019 11:21 AM

Congratulations

Great color combo.

could you please send me the DIY GT manual? Thomas.seier@gmail.com

subscribed to see how the new tires change the ride. 20inch wheels?

good luck

Gene G 01-05-2019 06:33 PM

Good to see another happy owner. Beautiful car. I have a 2008 GT Speed and haven’t had any problems with it.

sam08861 01-06-2019 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by John Fiammetta (Post 4758208)
The wires and there are many pass through an unbiblical on the LHS of the trunk lid corner .
Eventually one or more breaks inside or near that tube .Before going any further check / find the “ open circuit “
Do you have the spoiler warning light in the dash ?

I had this same problem and disconnected the motor to prevent further damage. I did get the spoiler warning light, but put a resistor in circuit as described in another thread to make that go away until I find a fix.

I've checked eitis but could not find any info or functional pinout that wold help troubleshoot. I did find the umbilical coming into trunk under the spare tire but can't really se under the sheath and rubber grommet.

Any suggestions on how to best troubleshoot in finding the open circuit?