Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

My GT re-build in pictures !!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:35 PM
tarnow1942 is an unknown quantity at this point
Johnny, I brought a Maserati Mexico back from the dead and did much work on a Ferrari 456. Your job outdid both and then some. Have an 05 Bently and going through a learning process on it. Congratulation on this job. I wouldnt even think of attempting without a hoist. I find my commercial 2 post indispensable.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:35 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Outstanding

Wonderful project.

I own a 05 and eventually I want to pull the motor. I see you did it without a lift which is what I'm interested in doing. I have a pit in my garage. I would be interested in any tips that you learned along the way that might aid me in my endeavor.

Regards thank you.
Eric

Old 04-12-2018, 01:09 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
Wonderful project.

I own a 05 and eventually I want to pull the motor. I see you did it without a lift which is what I'm interested in doing. I have a pit in my garage. I would be interested in any tips that you learned along the way that might aid me in my endeavor.

Regards thank you.
Eric
Hello Eric,
Sure anytime, give me a PM or a call when you want to, may I ask why you want to pull, I assume vacuum lines.

Johnny

Old 04-12-2018, 06:03 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
My 05

My 05 is stable. Knowing the vacuum line issues perhaps it's a matter of time? My idle is good and no trouble codes. The car was always serviced at the Bentley dealer, Diimittt Group.
I have the Carfax but not the detailed service history.

Anyway, with a project like this it's good to be prepared. Not that I intend to pull the engine anytime soon. Your approach interested me because you did not use a lift.

Thank you again for your support.
Eric

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 02-19-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:11 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Update

Hello All,
Yes I am still at it...
Not much free time to play with the B, I hope to have the 2014 engine in over the winter, I know, I kind of have the priorities out of sync, but I like to get all the important stuff (toys) as far as up to date as the 1st gen GT can take before she is running, positive thinking on my part.

I removed the base 2006 infotainment head unit as I had purchased a few items from one seller, as I was looking to install a 2008-2010 head unit with the SAT radio option button and DVD NAV, so from the seller I purchased all the following matching 2010 parts, Infotainment head unit with the SR, CD/MM functions, NAV DVD drive, SAT radio module, RVC module, BT module, Multi Media module, so when the items all arrived I installed the head unit and NAV DVD drive, which had the added bonus of a NAV disc still in the drive, the NAV system told me right were my vehicle was sitting, no extra wiring harness as some have stated the dealer quoted 10k for, next I plugged in the SAT module for testing and the sound was off somewhat, as in kind of clear and lacking somewhat in bass, so I go into settings and what did I find, "NAIM FOR BENTLEY", the seller sold me a Naim head unit, all 12 speakers worked and sounded very clear but the sound fields all sounded the same, and adjustments did not do much, so I contacted the seller but he had already sold the Naim amp not knowing what it was, so my search and research started, so did the nightmare of other sellers and misinformation, one seller from Australia who he said he relied on his mechanic sent me a 3W0 035 466 that was fried and in the box of the new amp that replaced it, that was settled, next I received a 3W0 035 466 E from Poland, this unit to did not work and looked like it was in a flood, and in bad shape, I would know, so it to was returned also, the next seller from the UK whom I spent many phone calls and emails with to be sure exactly which model number I would need and receive, as this was his specialty area, well after agreeing on a price and a model "3W0 035 466 with the gray connectors for a 2010 NAIM AMP" he sends me a "3W8 035 466 A" for a 2014-15 in a box with "3W0035466" hand written on it, which is a paperweight to me, I won't elaborate on this transaction, I then found a 3W0 035 466 with the gray connectors in Texas and struck a deal, I received a 100% working unit, thank you to the man from Texas.

Now that I have that out of the way, let me get to the real information for you all, this is NOT a plug and play setup, you cannot use just any model year Naim amp, the pin outs for the 23 and 24 pin connectors are completely rearranged from the base unit amp to the Naim unit amp in the same year of build, as 2004-09 did not have the Naim available they would have the base wiring, but say you have two 2010's side by side one w/base other w/Naim setup, for some reason instead of making the wiring match so as to have a choice of amp/head unit setup, Naim decided to totally rearrange all the pin outs to speakers, can-bus, etc. also you can NOT just redo the wiring and add the Naim amp without having the proper Infotainment head unit with the Naim software version installed, you will see in my pictures that I left the base model amps plugs intact as so if I had to revert for some reason this did not workout, so I took the two plugs off of the 2005 flood harness with plenty of slack for do overs, I took all the pins out of said plugs and relocated them to their proper pin hole number for the Naim setup, I also added 6 pins/wiring for the 2 subs and front center tweeter, and plugged those black plugs into the gray sockets, I did have to grind off some guides off of the black plugs, next I put all the pins on and heat shrink wrapped them, then put those pins into the factory plugs for each speaker, can-bus, power, etc. I also added the center front tweeter and hooked up some old Bazooka Tubes I have from back in the day, I have left all the base model speakers in and I must say with the clarity and less bass to all speakers besides the subs, it sounds amazing ! and LOUD !

If you chose to go this route PLAESE be sure to follow this information to save yourself a huge headache.

For 2004-2010 you must use the 3W0 035 466 or the 3W0 035 466 K, BUT be 100% sure it has the GRAY connectors, the reason is that there was a CAN-BUS change in 2011 or thereabouts therefore the head unit and amp are mismatched and can not communicate with each other nor the vehicle, the 3W0 035 466 E, J, L, all do NOT work with the 04-10's, even though some seller may claim otherwise...
And you must have a head unit with the Naim software.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 11-08-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:22 PM
Administrator
Diagrams

Please excuse my checking off writing on the diagrams, it's how I kept my sanity while doing the wiring.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:04 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
AGREE! - Johnny has been helpful beyond any expectations. I've used his post numerous times. Just the pics alone have saved me so much time. Bentleys and VAG, in general, are new to me this year, so my learning curve is still a little steep at this time.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:56 PM
Rons GT Speed will become famous soon enough
BWings. I should have posted this by its self instead of quote at the end of his schematics.. I do not think the majority of Bentley 6speeders will appreciate what Johnny Hotspur is providing to all of us if they do not read this. So hopefully this re post will be read by many his followers.
Hello Johnny Hotspur. I have continued to review your picture files and stories depicting such clarity of disassemble, reassemble of components, and wiring harnesses you have shared on 6Speed. So many of us you have continued to help by being the resource answer guy of technical questions showing pictures and locations of questionable components is priceless. Your timeless efforts bringing your experiences in pictures so that they can be used by many as repair references is outstanding. You are a true Benchmark Leader in the 6Speed knowledge category. It is unbelievable what you are attempting to do and have thus far accomplished. Just the thought of making your own Bentley is mind blogging! I am saving your incredible building journey as a master guide for my own future personal reference.
If Johnny were to compile all of his written explanations and pictures into a Formal Bentley Book I would buy it!!!
Thank you Ron's GT Speed

Old 11-14-2018, 05:55 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by tarnow1942
Johnny, I brought a Maserati Mexico back from the dead and did much work on a Ferrari 456. Your job outdid both and then some. Have an 05 Bently and going through a learning process on it. Congratulation on this job. I wouldnt even think of attempting without a hoist. I find my commercial 2 post indispensable.
Thank you Tarnow1942, sorry for the very late response...

Old 11-14-2018, 06:06 PM
Administrator
Hello Ron,
Thank you for your very kind words !

Johnny J J

Originally Posted by Rons GT Speed
BWings. I should have posted this by its self instead of quote at the end of his schematics.. I do not think the majority of Bentley 6speeders will appreciate what Johnny Hotspur is providing to all of us if they do not read this. So hopefully this re post will be read by many his followers.
Hello Johnny Hotspur. I have continued to review your picture files and stories depicting such clarity of disassemble, reassemble of components, and wiring harnesses you have shared on 6Speed. So many of us you have continued to help by being the resource answer guy of technical questions showing pictures and locations of questionable components is priceless. Your timeless efforts bringing your experiences in pictures so that they can be used by many as repair references is outstanding. You are a true Benchmark Leader in the 6Speed knowledge category. It is unbelievable what you are attempting to do and have thus far accomplished. Just the thought of making your own Bentley is mind blogging! I am saving your incredible building journey as a master guide for my own future personal reference.
If Johnny were to compile all of his written explanations and pictures into a Formal Bentley Book I would buy it!!!
Thank you Ron's GT Speed
Hello BWings,
Thank you for agreeing with Ron !
Originally Posted by BWings
AGREE! - Johnny has been helpful beyond any expectations. I've used his post numerous times. Just the pics alone have saved me so much time. Bentleys and VAG, in general, are new to me this year, so my learning curve is still a little steep at this time.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:25 PM
Administrator
The parts Collector...

Hello All,
Just a little update as I did not stop dead on the job, just very busy with life...

I have managed to acquire some nice items for the build here and there, and all will be installed for the first drive, in the near future, hopefully by the end of the first quarter of 2019.

Besides the Naim setup, the right hand armrest privacy phone compartment innards have been replaced and rewired to fit the updated BT phone as pictured, then I saw this red Vertu Ascent TI and had to have it to go with my HotSpur/FlameGlow interior, hence the RASP up-fit, I ordered a $13 SIM card to test all 3 systems and all work as they should, all phone info displays properly on the infotainment screen and the DIS screen, I know its old school, but I like OEM, next, I also picked up an absolutely beautiful AWE exhaust system directly from AWE with both center sections, 1 track, 1 touring, I also just went through a huge hassle getting the pictured Bespoke front bumper and a set of what were to be matching rear tail lights with the amber turn signals, after 50+ days I ended up with 1 red turn signal, and 1 amber, along with a bumper not as complete as the seller stated... Why is it never easy, I WILL make do though.

So please enjoy the pics, more to come soon !

Johnny J J

Old 11-20-2018, 01:34 AM
Rons GT Speed will become famous soon enough
Hello Johnny. The Phone looks great, very fancy looking. The new Bumper looks amazing, and the exhaust system. Good find on the exhaust system. All of your added features you are going to incorporate in to the Bentley will defiantly upgrade the quality of the car. 2019 is not that far off.
Ron

Old 02-19-2019, 03:04 PM
Blackster is an unknown quantity at this point
This is unreal the amount of work you've carried out. Did you get the newer engine to fit and work in the end?

Old 03-07-2019, 12:19 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
I think you missed your calling as a cardiac surgeon. This has been a jaw-dropping narrative and I have to admit that I don't have the grit you have. I still smart over giving up on a clutch replacement on my GT-6 when I was 17, I didn't have a hoist and simply couldn't figure out a way to get the transmission back together, then I see your pile of wiring harnesses and blanche.

Rico: I notice an Alpine head unit, is that the Ben Hur conversion? Why the Alpine instead of the Kenwood? Was it a good choice?

Old 03-09-2019, 11:33 PM
Randy V is on a distinguished road
Johnny has big brass ones!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: My GT re-build in pictures !!