Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2007 Bentley GT Steering wheel doesn't go up or down.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 02:57 PM
rdsrllc is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bentleytech
ok the belt i runs the cogs, the little wheels each end with teeth, gently apply pressure to one tooth as you apply steering wheel switch, you may have to try both ends but gently, it should start to move

Right one (larger one) dosnt move. Seams stuck.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:03 PM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
with a small screwdriver push the gear while applying switch up or down, i always found that worked, can you run the engine so you are getting system voltage.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:33 PM
rdsrllc is on a distinguished road
ok the belt i runs the cogs, the little wheels each end with teeth, gently apply pressure to one tooth as you apply steering wheel switch, you may have to try both ends but gently, it should start to move
Got it to work. Your the best!!! Thank you

Old 12-02-2018, 11:19 AM
Eversleyhall is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy same problem...

Hi chaps, Please accept my apologies for teh thread resurrection. I'm new to the forum, having just purchased a UK spec (RHD) GTC V8, which is a stunning car.
I too have a steering wheel which moves in and out, but not up and down, and "convenience" setting therefore doesn't work. I have read the response above, and am happy to have a go at the fix, however i have stumbled at the first hurdle.

Can someone please explain how to remove the steering column cowl? Is there anything else i should remove? I found the a bolt underneath, removed it with an Allen key, but couldn't see what to do next.
Your help is greatly appreciated, David

Old 12-02-2018, 01:54 PM
take the steering column cowl off, when operating the button give the cog with a rubber notched belt a little help and it should start working. I take it the steering wheel goes in and out but not up and down ?
Hi bentleytech, sorry to resurrect an old thread, can you please explain how to remove the cowl?
Many thanks

Old 12-03-2018, 04:08 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello David,

You first have to remove the airbag, then the steering wheel, next you will see the 2 screws holding the upper and lower sections together, there may also be a screw in the center of the lower cover, but I can not recall at the very moment.

See pic.

Johnny

Originally Posted by Eversleyhall
Hi chaps, Please accept my apologies for teh thread resurrection. I'm new to the forum, having just purchased a UK spec (RHD) GTC V8, which is a stunning car.
I too have a steering wheel which moves in and out, but not up and down, and "convenience" setting therefore doesn't work. I have read the response above, and am happy to have a go at the fix, however i have stumbled at the first hurdle.

Can someone please explain how to remove the steering column cowl? Is there anything else i should remove? I found the a bolt underneath, removed it with an Allen key, but couldn't see what to do next.
Your help is greatly appreciated, David

Old 12-04-2018, 03:09 AM
Hi Johnny,
Many thanks for your help. I found the screw underneath, which needs a hex allen key, but thats as far as i got. i hadn't considered that the airbag and steering wheel would need to be removed, which makes it a bigger job that i had hoped for. The car is now away for a full paint correction, valet and ceramic coating, after which i'll give this a try.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:24 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
CAVIAT: The project,which requires removing the airbag; disconnect the batteries and wait at least an hour before unplugging the airbag. Failure to do this could result in airbag deployment.

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 12-04-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:03 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Here is a convenience pic of mine when I recently changed over to the 3 spoke wheel, and the screws you need to remove the column covers.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:42 AM
Many thanks for the picture, that is really helpful.
I'm still deliberating over the removal of the air bag and steering wheel. Having been told i will need to disconnect both batteries, are there any issues once they are reconnected?
Is a radio code required (i'm not sure i have one) and what about other electrics such as windows, seats, soft close doors etc - do these need recalibrating?
Sorry to sound like a numpty, but i haven't worked on anything this complex before.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:03 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
I've had air bags on/off different cars numerous times in the last 15 years, including twice on my Bentley, however, because of the serious dangers in deploying an airbag that one will be holding in his hand which will make it a missile, I refuse to put in writing and publish any procedure I use. Sorry.....

Old 12-06-2018, 12:04 PM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Eversleyhall
Many thanks for the picture, that is really helpful.
I'm still deliberating over the removal of the air bag and steering wheel. Having been told i will need to disconnect both batteries, are there any issues once they are reconnected?
Is a radio code required (i'm not sure i have one) and what about other electrics such as windows, seats, soft close doors etc - do these need recalibrating?
Sorry to sound like a numpty, but i haven't worked on anything this complex before.
Generally speaking, disconnecting the two batteries does not require serious re-programming. Remember to disconnect the starter battery first (on the right side facing the trunk/boot) and the house battery second. Reconnecting requires reversing the order. Be patient, the soft close trunk won't work immediately, but will eventually reset itself. The radio does not need to be reset. The windows may need to be reset by closing and opening them (I believe there are threads in the forum detailing this procedure). The clock will have to be reset, but that is trivial. The seats do not need to be reset. The car will generally reset itself once your reconnect. It will just take a little time. You will get some minor errors on the DIP (e.g. level workshop fault and/or traction control). These will extinguish once you drive the car one city block. DO NOT CLOSE THE TRUNK/BOOT WITH THE BATTERIES DISCONNECTED. If you do, you will have to manually open the lid from the inside back seat.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello David,
If you read between the lines you can guess what BWings is saying, and he is 100% correct in not wanting to share his methods, I will say this though, and this is strictly 100% up to you or anyone reading this to use at their sole discretion, I myself have removed many air bags of many brands along with doing my B GT 3 or so times without the method 1eapplebaum has mentioned, and my hands and face are still intact Now don't get me wrong, 1eapplebaum's suggestion is anyone's safest bet, and if you choose to go that route, the resets are not that bad at all, as PMS stated they have been mentioned here before, but I will say them again for to keep all info in this one thread for you, as far as the windows, after reconnection of the batteries you would start with putting the passenger side front window up and hold, then down and hold, then up again and hold, then down again and hold, finishing by stopping at up and holding for few seconds, so at the end of each travel you will hold the window switch a few seconds to set the end of travel resistance, next passenger side rear window, then driver's side rear window, and last the driver's side front window, as far as the seats, some have had to reset end of travel for forward and reverse, again just hold the button in the direction of travel for a few seconds, 2-3 if that, you will hear a click if you are in a quiet environment, the clock should reset itself by way of satellite, the dash lights will reset after driving a few hundred feet.

As far as removing the AB, see my pics, you will turn the steering wheel so you can see and access the 2 small holes on the backside, you insert a small flathead screwdriver into each hole and turn as shown in pics, the AB will pop loose, then you will need a 12 point bit to remove the steering wheel bolt.

Johnny.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 12-06-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I'm not meaning to be selfish here. I do not disconnect the battery, but I understand why that is being done, and why the wait. It is to ensure capacitance is completely drained from the SRS circuit. I just have a very unorthodox method for accomplishing that by isolating that circuit and draining capacitance without the wait. It is dangerous enough that a wrong move will deploy the air bag. So, something I am unwilling to spell out in writing on a public site.

In any factory workshop manual, including Bentley (and I don't even have it, but I'm sure it's there), there will be a procedure, much like described above. Disconnect all battery to all systems, wait a designated time (that is safe enough to assure capacitance has completely drained off), then proceed with removal of the connector to the air bag. That is in print so my recommendation is to follow that factory procedure to the letter.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:35 AM
Hi Chaps,
Apologies for the silence on this topic, I thought i should provide closure on this, and confirm that thanks to you all, i have this sorted - however not in any of the technical ways you have suggested.
Having deliberated over how brave i am in removing the airbag, it occurred to me that all i would be doing once i had removed everything is freeing up a jammed drive cog.

Armed with my BF&I logic, I pressed the joystick up and down whilst firmly slapping the underside of the steering column cowling where i guessed the motor would be. And there we have it. After a few slaps, it started working, and has continued to do so.

Again, many thanks for your help - it is now booked it to get both electronic park brake motors replaced, ah the joys

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 Bentley GT Steering wheel doesn't go up or down.