Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

GT Driver's seat Reset / re-program after low battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 09:10 AM
Lars_Tempest is on a distinguished road
Thx Johnny also for PM, I will order a relay and try - taking your advice not to "borrow" from passenger seat..What is the best way to get the relay out, given those clips?

Old 10-13-2016, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Lars_Tempest
Thx Johnny also for PM, I will order a relay and try - taking your advice not to "borrow" from passenger seat..What is the best way to get the relay out, given those clips?
Yes, you need three hands.....LOL
Lars, look at the picture of the relay and you will see the two bumps, one on each of the two sides, that is where the clips attach, it is a pain or at least mine was, just use a very small flat head to pry each clip and work it out, on one of the old seats the clip broke, but to be honest the relay has a tight fit into the socket on it's own, really no need for the clips....

Old 12-02-2016, 04:06 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello Lars,
Any update on the seat ?

Old 12-02-2016, 05:27 PM
Hi Johnny,
No progress I'm afraid. Took the car to the dealer, who ran a diagnostic and a full reset. No change and no fault codes. They insist it isn't the relay and didn't have a good suggestion other than book it in for x hours fault finding...The tech guy said he'd seen something similar with a problem in the main cpu, which sounds expensive.. So I don;t know..expecting to take the car back to UK (from Spain) in the new year and perhaps another dealer has a better idea..
Hoping someone has come across the problem..Any further thoughts?

Cheers, Lars

Old 12-02-2016, 05:49 PM
Administrator
lars,
Are you saying that you never picked up a relay to test that theory ?

Old 12-03-2016, 03:35 AM
I know what you might think..could't get the relay out and thought I'd try a dealer reset first (the only thing I've had for free from a dealer).. So honestly I have not switched the relay since dealer insisted the relay was good.
But I will do that once I'm back, an picking up the relay this weekend in UK. I'm tall so can drive the car fine with seat far back, but of course it isn't a long term solution..
Things aren't moving fast as the car is just sitting pretty in the garage ..

Old 12-03-2016, 11:10 AM
Administrator
Part numbers just in case.

Hello Lars,
As far as what the dealer states about the relay, I won't elaborate, but my first step would be to start at the power source, and being that you have all other functions of the seat, you have power, and based on the fact that I went out and pulled the relay of my seat and ended up with the same situation as you are experiencing, I would go for the $10 relay first, NOW, if by some chance you have a bad seat control module, (there is a module under each of the front seats just so you know,) the part numbers are as follows 3W0 959 759 for the passenger side seat, and 3W0 959 760 for the driver's side, these are the numbers on the 4 modules I have pulled when doing my rebuild, 2 flood, 2 crash, I mention this because being you have the steering wheel on the wrong side of the vehicle ( lol ) I still think that you would go with the "760" as it is the "driver's" module, ALSO if you look on EBAY there are some listed at $650 for the passenger and $750 for the driver, and one for $350, BUT if you check "3D0 959 759" and "3D0 959 760" for the Phaeton you will find them at $70 to $100.00
But to be sure which number module you have just adjust the seat to its highest position and look for the sticker on either the top or bottom side of said module, maybe using one of those mirrors on a telescopic rod .

Good luck !

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw...ntley&_sacat=0

THE "3D0 959 759"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-VOLKSWAGE...3D321802910366

THE "3D0 959 760"

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...p2045573.m1684

Originally Posted by Lars_Tempest
I know what you might think..could't get the relay out and thought I'd try a dealer reset first (the only thing I've had for free from a dealer).. So honestly I have not switched the relay since dealer insisted the relay was good.
But I will do that once I'm back, an picking up the relay this weekend in UK. I'm tall so can drive the car fine with seat far back, but of course it isn't a long term solution..
Things aren't moving fast as the car is just sitting pretty in the garage ..

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 12-03-2016 at 11:38 AM. Reason: add links
Old 01-31-2017, 06:34 AM
Many thanks Johnny...here is current status: Went to the dealer who attempted a reset for free (!), but that did nothing. Changed the green relay - again no difference. Have just changed the $300 side control unit (switchboard) because Bentley told me "in their experience that is likely the culprit".. again no difference (so change back the panel and return the part). They now suggest it must be either the control module - as you point to - or the motor itself. So thanks for the pointers and numbers above - it is time to try the Phaeton control module next. How to get to it whilst being unable to get the seat out..is this module sitting near to the relays? Lots of travel in meantime thus this is taking its time..

Best wishes, Lars

Last edited by Lars_Tempest; 01-31-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:47 PM
MrVette is on a distinguished road
Even though my battery is not low the memory seat function stopped working about 6 weeks ago. First time this happened I was going to reprogram it but after about a week it suddenly started working again. That lasted 3-4 weeks. Now its stopped again. Any ideas on what's causing this and what to do about it?

Old 03-17-2017, 12:50 PM
Update on the seat issue...I just had a 4 hour diagnostic at Bentley who took out and part dissembled the seat...they tell me the control module is faulty, and that they tested with a module from another car and that cured the problem. Doing the repair at Bentley is eye-watering expensive of course, parts price in particular..
Johnny if you're online, I will check out the Phaeton module 760 as you noted..are we sure it is the exact same module? And is it easy enough to switch over with the seat fixed in the car or is it a seat-out job? Thanks

Old 03-17-2017, 06:41 PM
Administrator
Hello Lars,
Yes the seat module CAN be removed WITHOUT removing the whole seat from the vehicle, and for the price of the 3D0 959 760 I would try it, there is one on EBay right now for $56USD.

Just a note, be sure to put the seat front and rear in their highest position for the most accessibility.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-17-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:07 PM
Thanks Johnny, will do. The dealer wants over $600 plus 1.5 hours labour.. You've had all these parts out, is there a trick to getting this one out or is it straightforward with the seat in highest position? Looks like it sits in some kind of "cassette"?
The dealer has the seat out, but would refuse to fit a VW part of course.. It's $1,500 to change the air pipe to the suspension and this seat module. DIY for a fraction..

Old 03-18-2017, 12:49 PM
Got this for 60 Eur (about $63), plus 15 DHL.. hopefully works well..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Phaeton.../321468802899?

Old 03-18-2017, 10:56 PM
Administrator
Hello Lars,
I have some family activities today Sunday, but may I ask do you have Ross-Tech, or VAS 5054a to capture the coding of the drivers seat control module before you remove it, and did the dealer confirm which module part number you have now in the vehicle, as I see you purchased a "B" instead of a "C", it's just you have a 06, and the unit you purchased was from the early weeks of 03, I am not saying that it will not work, but what many do not understand is that you could take a 3D0 from VW and use it as a 3W0 for Bentley, just as I had done with my Audi A8l W12, I used a RVC module and camera setup from a Q7, a euro TV module from an A6, a euro MMI control head with fbas, and a park distance controller for RVC, a CAN-BUS control from a newer A8L, which all of these never came in a 05 A8L W12, but because I knew the coding of certain modules as coded in an A8l, or found them from members at AW, I was able to recode the modules from other model to think they were in an A8L, I hope this is making sense to you, what it means is if a module is coded to a certain code, some options may not be available, BUT if you retain the original coding from the original module you can right that code to the replacement module if needed.

Depending on what time I leave or return tomorrow, I will take some pictures of my Ross-Tech and VAS 5054a reading my driver's side seat module, you can text me at 1-908-507-6357 if you need immediate assistance.
Johnny J Jiovino

Old 03-19-2017, 06:20 AM
Hi Johnny, many thanks for both your v. helpful posts and for taking the time!
In short, unfortunately I don't have Ross-Tech or VAS..Nor a well equipped garage really here at my holiday house.. As you have gathered, my two issues have taken some time to find the suspect part having tried a few things unsuccessfully (relay and the side seat controller panel). I have to admit I was hoping the VW unit would "slot right in", but as you point out, it may need reprogramming to capture certain functions (perhaps massage function etc)..

The current situation is that the car is still at the Bentley dealer, who did the diagnostic and reported back to me late on Friday. They told me they have the seat out and had borrowed a module from another CGT to test, and then everything was fine so seems the module is the certain culprit. It would seem my module has stopped reversing polarity to the forward/backward motor, which is how these work as I'm told. I'm not technical enough to know if that could be re-programmed in the existing unit or if it is a "hardware" breakdown. Dealer quoted part 3W0959760E "control unit for seat and.." as the required new part, at $620 tax included. Plus 1.3 hours to change. When they already have the seat out and dissembled under the diagnostic paid for separately (4 hours)..
So, what to do...practically of course the easy route is to let the dealer rip me off completely and fit a new unit. Costs me almost $1,000 for the seat module alone and the real damage is of course the not so good feeling of being ripped off properly. The dealer here in Spain charges from 35 to 55% more for the parts than Bentley UK, which is just crazy. And of course refuse to fit parts other than from themselves.
I did not realise that the 3D0959760"B" signified an earlier model, it appeared to be a 05 Phaeton. So thanks for alerting me to a potential problematic purchase/wrong part.
The good news is that this vendor has a 1 month return guarantee as a ebay guaranteed vendor, and I asked them about compatibility with the "W". Since I only ordered it yesterday they won't have sent it yet and it may be best to cancel tomorrow morning, or check if they have a "C" replacement if you think that would work.
There are a few 3D0959760C to be found, but would these also require reprogramming? I also see a unit marketed as VW Bentley Seat control unit with a different number ending 860 ... 3D09059860C .. Don;t know the difference. Btw, on my BMW 7 we can find the parts etc on realoem.com, are you aware of a similar VAG site also covering Bentley?
The reprogramming could be an issue, I would probably have to use a good indy who will have the appropriate tools for a price.
Timing-wise, I have to decide by tonight what to do about the dealer where the car is now (whether to take the car back or let them order parts ..$1,700 for seat and air suspension issue..). If I take the car back then there isn't such rush as I will have to order the parts.
If you're on WhatsApp perhaps that's the easier way, I've PM'd my cell numbers.

Have a great Sunday out.

Lars

Last edited by Lars_Tempest; 03-19-2017 at 06:48 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT Driver's seat Reset / re-program after low battery