Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Upgrade Bentley Continental GT 2012 Audio System with OEM Naim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 03:54 PM
PeteP is an unknown quantity at this point
Upgrade Bentley Continental GT 2012 Audio System with OEM Naim

I want to undertake an audio upgrade with Naim OEM parts on my 2012 Bentley Continental GT

I have already acquired the door speakers and fitted them in place of the original 6x9s and 130mm. They have increased the detail within the system considerably but, I have less bass then before which is to be expected as the Naim door spears are 2 sets of 130mm in place of the 6x9s and the original 130mm.

I have the 80mm mids I need to fit in the rear side panels so any help on how to remove the rear side panel so I can get to the speakers will be most helpful. I found a link for a pre 2012 but, my GT is also a Mulliner so I'm not sure how to get into the panel as the video I found has a wood facing plate, mine is leather so I can't see where to leaver it from.

The second and more complex part of the upgrade will be to fit the Naim for Bentley amplifier part number 4w0035466a I have on order. I'm not sure how many channels this is as information seems to be very thin on the ground about this unit. It should just plug in but I am looking to put the subs in. I have no idea where they go, does anyone have the speaker locations for a 2012+ Naim system so I can then replicate this?

Also I suppose I will need my Infotaiment system coded for the amp but, I'll plug it in and see if I get sound in the first instance.

Also a wiring/ pin diagram for this Naim Amp will be really helpful so I can make up the wiring I need for the additional speakers.

Hopefully someone out there will have the info.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited by PeteP; 03-07-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:53 PM
daryelh is on a distinguished road
Check out alpineperformance.com they have youtube videos on how to remove the back seat and the rear panels. Hope this help you

Old 03-14-2017, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by daryelh
Check out alpineperformance.com they have youtube videos on how to remove the back seat and the rear panels. Hope this help you
Thanks Daryl, I already found those vids, thats what helped me with the door speakers

I have moved things on a bit, the Naim amp on order should arrive this week and I have spoken to the Bentley Service department who have given me the part numbers I need to install the sub, I'll post part numbers and how things went once I have plugged the Naim amp in and seen if it just works straight off and gives sound.

I have read the workshop manual which, states the amp should be auto recognised so let see how that goes.

If anyone has any other info that will really help out but, once I have completed this I can post on here, so far it doesn't seem to hard to do.

I am also in the market for a retro fit rearview camera so, if anyone has had one done this will really help, best I can get from the main dealer is around £1650 fitted. I would run it myself but need to get a wire from the rear of the infotainment system to the boot. I don't really feel like pulling up the carpets but, if there is a quick fix I'll do that myself to.

cheers,

Pete

Old 03-14-2017, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by PeteP
I want to undertake an audio upgrade with Naim OEM parts on my 2012 Bentley Continental GT

I have already acquired the door speakers and fitted them in place of the original 6x9s and 130mm. They have increased the detail within the system considerably but, I have less bass then before which is to be expected as the Naim door spears are 2 sets of 130mm in place of the 6x9s and the original 130mm.

I have the 80mm mids I need to fit in the rear side panels so any help on how to remove the rear side panel so I can get to the speakers will be most helpful. I found a link for a pre 2012 but, my GT is also a Mulliner so I'm not sure how to get into the panel as the video I found has a wood facing plate, mine is leather so I can't see where to leaver it from.

The second and more complex part of the upgrade will be to fit the Naim for Bentley amplifier part number 4w0035466a I have on order. I'm not sure how many channels this is as information seems to be very thin on the ground about this unit. It should just plug in but I am looking to put the subs in. I have no idea where they go, does anyone have the speaker locations for a 2012+ Naim system so I can then replicate this?

Also I suppose I will need my Infotaiment system coded for the amp but, I'll plug it in and see if I get sound in the first instance.

Also a wiring/ pin diagram for this Naim Amp will be really helpful so I can make up the wiring I need for the additional speakers.

Hopefully someone out there will have the info.

Cheers,

Pete
No problem Pete, I'm in the process of replacing all my speakers in my 07 GT mulliner. I don't like the sound of the factory. Where did you get all your speakers from.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:19 AM
Sorry for the delay been real busy with work!

I got mine from a guy that had bought them from Bentley a week earlier as he then decided to sell his car. They can be bought from the main dealer. With just this setup and the original amp as stated the detail is so much better then the factory but, you do miss the bass of the 6x9 so I recommend completing the upgrade with the Naim sub shelf part number 3W8035403E plus the other supporting parts, bracket, washers, screws and the harness to run to the Naim amp. I will update this thread with how things progress once I have the amp and other parts in my hand.

Part numbers for Naim speakers below:

X2 Naim Bass Loud Speaker
(3W8035825A)

(3W8035826A)

X2 Naim Mid Range Speaker
(3W0035709D)

Old 03-17-2017, 01:39 PM
Sorry for the delay been real busy with work!

I got mine from a guy that had bought them from Bentley a week earlier as he then decided to sell his car. They can be bought from the main dealer. With just this setup and the original amp as stated the detail is so much better then the factory but, you do miss the bass of the 6x9 so I recommend completing the upgrade with the Naim sub shelf part number 3W8035403E plus the other supporting parts, bracket, washers, screws and the harness to run to the Naim amp. I will update this thread with how things progress once I have the amp and other parts in my hand.

Part numbers for Naim speakers below:

(3W8035825A)

(3W8035826A)

X2 Naim Mid Range Speaker
(3W0035709D)
Thanks Pete

Old 03-20-2017, 02:41 PM
Ok so I just plugged the new amp in which, arrived in the post today.

The infotainment unit didn't power up like usual but, it did boot up after going black screen then turning back on, no error codes came up but, also no sound.

The Naim amp seems to have another 6 pin rectangular plug, I suspect this is outboard power however the standard amp does not require this.

I will contact the dealer tomorrow, ask for the harness to attach it if there is one and post update here.

Cheers

Old 04-25-2017, 06:19 AM
Help Coding the CAN needed

After much effort I seem to have hit a brick wall with programming the cars CAN to recognise the NAIM amplifier, if anyone know of anyone that can program an option code into the CAN please let me know asap as this is becoming near impossible to complete.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 05-05-2017, 03:23 AM
MikeH is on a distinguished road
After much effort I seem to have hit a brick wall with programming the cars CAN to recognise the NAIM amplifier, if anyone know of anyone that can program an option code into the CAN please let me know asap as this is becoming near impossible to complete.

Cheers,

Pete
Hi Pete
It may be worth reading up on the VAG forums there may have similar coding when upgrading VW or Audi cars to the Bose or Bang and Olufsen systems?....

Iv heard in the past of a company called HazzyDayz that do oem retrofits on VAG cars, might be worth a call to them?..

Im watching intently so do please post any updates im interested in upgrading mine to Naim if its possible.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by MikeH
Hi Pete
It may be worth reading up on the VAG forums there may have similar coding when upgrading VW or Audi cars to the Bose or Bang and Olufsen systems?....

Iv heard in the past of a company called HazzyDayz that do oem retrofits on VAG cars, might be worth a call to them?..

Im watching intently so do please post any updates im interested in upgrading mine to Naim if its possible.
Sorry for the delay I have been away for quite some time, no none of the standard VAG stuff works on Bentley so defo don't try and go down that route. I did and it is a dead end

Old 05-19-2017, 11:33 AM
Thumbs up

So I have finally got it all working but in a non conventional way.

Bentley fitted the Naim sub but were unable to get the CAN to recognise the Naim amp I supplied.

In the end I went with a Rockford Punch 300 w RMS 2 channel to power it taking the full spectrum bass input from the low end door output off the standard amp in the boot.

It now works a treat so the setup that can be reasonably achieved on an upgrade is:

1. Replace front door speakers with Naim units (they go in with no modification)
2. Replace rear mid range speakers with Audison AV 3.0 - 3" Voce Mid-Range 100 Watts
3. Buy and fit Naim subs under the rear parcel shelf
4. Take Rockford Punch 2 channel and use this to power the Naim subs mount is next to the factory amp to the side. Its a tiny amp so fits perfectly.

Adjust with the factory Treble, Mid and Bass setting on the Infotainment how you want.

Do leave the subs to run in for 8 hours before turning up the amp, mine is running at around 1/3 but as its a 3rd car. I have only put around 3 hours on it so need to report back once I have turned it up. I could plug it in and leave it running in the garage but, I haven't had the time. I'm sure it will be fantastic

What you have is a completely factory looking sound upgrade with mostly Naim parts that gives a much more detailed sound. The sound also has much better clarity and suburb separation compared to the factory system. Once I turn up the bass it will be even better.

Total cost:

£600 for factory Naim subs
£300 for Rockford Punch and line out plus cables etc for the install
£600 for Naim upgrade door speakers
£150 for Audison Mid Drivers

£1,650 Total

To fit Audisons
Take the little metal mounting brackets that come with the speakers flatten them with 2 pairs of pliers and cut off some of the excess metal just above one of the holes. Bend an angle from the original mid point to make a 90 degree angle and epoxy resin this to two opposing sides of the Audison speaker so the speakers then fits onto the original factory mounting position. Wait for the resin to go off properly, (around 5 hours but could be less) then screw onto the original position. Close that up and those are done. I did drill holes to affix the brackets to the Audisons with acres as well as resin but, its the resin that does the job.

I will post some pics of the install later when I get a chance so you can see the factory look

Old 06-25-2017, 05:09 PM
case485 is an unknown quantity at this point
So I have finally got it all working but in a non conventional way.

Bentley fitted the Naim sub but were unable to get the CAN to recognise the Naim amp I supplied.

In the end I went with a Rockford Punch 300 w RMS 2 channel to power it taking the full spectrum bass input from the low end door output off the standard amp in the boot.

It now works a treat so the setup that can be reasonably achieved on an upgrade is:

1. Replace front door speakers with Naim units (they go in with no modification)
2. Replace rear mid range speakers with Audison AV 3.0 - 3" Voce Mid-Range 100 Watts
3. Buy and fit Naim subs under the rear parcel shelf
4. Take Rockford Punch 2 channel and use this to power the Naim subs mount is next to the factory amp to the side. Its a tiny amp so fits perfectly.

Adjust with the factory Treble, Mid and Bass setting on the Infotainment how you want.

Do leave the subs to run in for 8 hours before turning up the amp, mine is running at around 1/3 but as its a 3rd car. I have only put around 3 hours on it so need to report back once I have turned it up. I could plug it in and leave it running in the garage but, I haven't had the time. I'm sure it will be fantastic

What you have is a completely factory looking sound upgrade with mostly Naim parts that gives a much more detailed sound. The sound also has much better clarity and suburb separation compared to the factory system. Once I turn up the bass it will be even better.

Total cost:

£600 for factory Naim subs
£300 for Rockford Punch and line out plus cables etc for the install
£600 for Naim upgrade door speakers
£150 for Audison Mid Drivers

£1,650 Total

To fit Audisons
Take the little metal mounting brackets that come with the speakers flatten them with 2 pairs of pliers and cut off some of the excess metal just above one of the holes. Bend an angle from the original mid point to make a 90 degree angle and epoxy resin this to two opposing sides of the Audison speaker so the speakers then fits onto the original factory mounting position. Wait for the resin to go off properly, (around 5 hours but could be less) then screw onto the original position. Close that up and those are done. I did drill holes to affix the brackets to the Audisons with acres as well as resin but, its the resin that does the job.

I will post some pics of the install later when I get a chance so you can see the factory look
Thanks for all the great information - what where the color wires for the low bass that you sent over to the Rockford Amp? Can you post a picture of that?

Old 10-20-2017, 09:06 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !

The second and more complex part of the upgrade will be to fit the Naim for Bentley amplifier part number 4w0035466a I have on order.

Cheers,

Pete
Hello Pete,
Would you post some pictures of the "Naim" amp that you ordered and received from the dealer, because something is not right as far as part number I have researched, you ordered the "4W0 035 466 A", and the problem with that is that part number comes up as a Blaupunkt amp made for Bentley, see picture below, whereas the Naim for Bentley part number I have found is the "3W0 035 466 J"......

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Blaupunkt2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	514672  
Attached Images   
Old 10-20-2017, 09:08 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
And this is what the 3W0 035 466 J looks like.

Attached Images    
Old 11-02-2018, 05:38 PM
AngryBaldMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone have the part number for the Naim subs? If you go for the correct Naim amplifier, will it power the subs, or is another amplifier required?

Has anyone added a sub to the standard audio setup? If so, where did you find a 12 remote feed for your amp?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrade Bentley Continental GT 2012 Audio System with OEM Naim