Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Continental GT epb ecu

Old 03-17-2017, 03:02 PM
Nairb999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Continental GT epb ecu

Hi I have a 2004 Continental GT and may have to replace the electric parking brake ecu control module due to (P/) coming up on the dash all the time. Can anybody inform me where it is.

Many thanks

Old 03-17-2017, 04:23 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Right rear e brake sensor needs replacing. Common problem.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:30 PM
Thx for prompt reply. VAG com diagnosed control module. Had seen this suggestion before so before replacing actuator assembly which includes sensor I would need to eliminate control module first. How will be the problem of course.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:46 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nairb999
Thx for prompt reply. VAG com diagnosed control module. Had seen this suggestion before so before replacing actuator assembly which includes sensor I would need to eliminate control module first. How will be the problem of course.
Hello Nairb999,
Check the sensor as Steven stated, BUT if you do need to replace the parking brake control module, it is located in the trunk on the left side when facing the rear of vehicle, it is part number 3W0 907 801 D, the prefix letter may be different for your year, but it shouldn't matter if if you replace it with a later version letter 2004-2008, it is located behind the battery control module part number 3D0 915 181 D, see my picture below of said modules, the black plastic module is the one you seek.

Also see my GT rebuild thread for more information.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pictures.html

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150802_140344.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	3.78 MB
ID:	472092   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150802_140358.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	472093   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150802_171209.jpg
Views:	2246
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	472094  

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-18-2017 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Add link
Old 03-18-2017, 05:40 AM
Hello Johnny Hotspur GT I am absolutely in awe of your rebuild. What a great job. Thanks for your valued input on my parking brake issue. I have a few more questions which I would really value your input.
1. Have you any suggestions on how I could eliminate sensor issue first as the vag com came back with control module fault. I do see also how it could be a sensor or actuator problem as the plastic housing is cracked. Two other bits of information which may help - problem only started in sub zero temperatures and managed to clear the fault before it happened again in sub zero temperatures. That was 2 months ago and have just carried on using the vehicle with the parking brake working as it should. Although recently I have noticed the parking brake will only engage with the ignition ON. Sometimes it will engage with the ignition OFF.

2. If the problem is the control module would you advise to remove the battery first.

Thanks once again.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:08 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
I had a similar issue when one of my ABS sensors became intermittently faulty.
Also, the plastic covers often crack.

P.S. If you need an excellent Indie, there is one in Crewe, a chap called Ivor, that a couple of us on here use.
Not too far from you and he is the best in the business.

Les.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:17 AM
Les thx for your input.I presume this is a different sensor to the one in the actuator?

Old 03-18-2017, 09:24 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Hi. Yes, it's the actual ABS sensor next to the brake disc.
Just realised that you already know Ivor.

Les.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:26 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevenrmusic
Right rear e brake sensor needs replacing. Common problem.
Hello Steven,
Would you be speaking of the ABS sensor causing the fault, or is there a sensor that you know of for the parking brake, I know the rear brakes go into calibration mode every so often to measure pad thickness by time and resistance while calibrating, and being that Nairb999 speaks of cracks in the actuator plastic housing, is there a sensor in there, or around the area besides the ABS ?

Watch, now that I asked this question, my A8L W12 will now fail....

Old 03-18-2017, 02:41 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by Nairb999

2. If the problem is the control module would you advise to remove the battery first.

Thanks once again.
Hello Nairb999,

Yes, if it came to replacing said module then yes the left side house battery must be removed to gain access to remove the mounting bracket the holds both the battery management, and parking brake modules as shown in my pictures, BUT do check as others have stated on the sensor, let's just be clear if it is a ABS sensor which measures rotation of the axle, or is there a sensor for the parking brake, I tend to think not, and that the parking brake motors stop at a measured value of resistance by the PB CM, But if anyone knows for sure, please share.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150802_215731.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	3.92 MB
ID:	472099   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150802_140440.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	472100   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150802_171215.jpg
Views:	1061
Size:	3.55 MB
ID:	472101  
Old 03-18-2017, 02:54 PM
Johnny Hotspot thanks for your input. Hopefully someone can confirm. I did notice in earlier posts that part number 3W0698996E was specified to solve the sensor problem. This is a service kit for the parking brake motor. Service kit could imply something more than a motor. If in fact it is the ABS sensor it will be far cheaper to replace.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:19 PM
Administrator
Also see this just posted today on AW.

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/saved-another-epb-2916671/

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 03-18-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:08 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello Steven,
Would you be speaking of the ABS sensor causing the fault, or is there a sensor that you know of for the parking brake
Alas, the paperwork on that car is gone so can't provide the exact part #. Simply remember it was right rear e-brake bit (sensor) and this was a problem for a few others online. Took the dealership about 30 minutes to fix.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:28 AM
After going though all the posts on parking brake issues I think e-brake motor and sensor could be the same thing. This post from ssonss1 confirms my reasoning,

"Firstly scan to see which side sensor needs to be replaced. I ordered the part from: http://www.flyingspares.com/shop/bentley-continental-gt-gtc-cgt-flying-spur-speed/brake-pads-discs/parking-brake/electric-parking-brake-service-kit-3w0698996e.html"

I have also read ABS sensor post from Les and that is definetely worth exploring.

Thanks to everyone for their input on thsi problem

Old 03-19-2017, 04:33 AM
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Also see this just posted today on AW.

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s...r-epb-2916671/

Many thanks - definetely will explore. Only 2 bolts to release parking brake,

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.