Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Trunk opening without fob?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 04:27 PM
Arachnophobia will become famous soon enoughArachnophobia will become famous soon enough
Trunk opening without fob?

I have a 2007 US GT mulliner and the trunk now opens without the fob nearby, anyone else experience this? I just replaced both batteries about 6 months ago. I just now noticed this when my son pushed the button and opened the trunk when my keys were in the safe in my bedroom. I never noticed this behavior before and maybe something needed to be reset after changing out the batteries. Any thoughts?

Old 04-21-2017, 09:11 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Hi Arachnophobia .

If the car is unlocked then this is normal, at least on mine it is.

Les.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:41 AM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
....my father wished he kept the keys in a safe...one way or another I would get the car...then my daughter did the same to me with the Daytona...only found out later when got an overdue citation in the mail from a town I had never been...but the car was JimB

Old 04-21-2017, 11:31 AM
Arachnophobia will become famous soon enoughArachnophobia will become famous soon enough
Man, this is embarrassing. I guess I didn't lock it because I tested it today after what Les said and he was completely right. As far as my son I think I am safe for a while since he is only 7 but he loves that car probably as much as me.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:33 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Jim. Does your boot/trunk open without having the key with you when the car is unlocked or has the security option been enabled?

Old 04-21-2017, 11:56 AM
....I don't believe so but have never checked that out, will do so later....haven't used the car in 3 weeks, but looking forward to this weekend up the coast...roads still blocked...didn't appreciate you dissing my Volvo...hasn't cost a cent in 7 years outside of tires, oil and battery...I regularly take it to Yosemite where I sleep in car, a little tight but great...they don't allow car camping in Yosemite but it's a big place and I got a few hideaways...will go this weekend if you don't need chains...Sierras have an ungodly snowpack this year...JimB

Old 04-21-2017, 11:57 AM
When I tested it, I just tried opening the drivers side door without the fob and it opened right up as well as the trunk. So if you don't lock it, everything is just open until you do.

Les, what did you mean when you referred to a security option enabled? My Lexus GS used to lock itself after the fob moved away from it and one minute had passed.

Last edited by Arachnophobia; 04-21-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:58 PM
....ok tried the trunk after unlocking car, put the key inside the Volvo. The trunk did open...now that raises issue, what about with the Valet key...that should open the car but not the glove box or trunk...now all I gotta do is find the Valet key and try it out...with the 2010 Speed, got 3 keys, 2 regular and 1 Valet...

Old 04-22-2017, 03:45 AM
....found the Valet key that I have never used...don't know if I ever changed battery in it...si I will go down to garage and check out...it's 2:30am here in San Francisco....had a bad experience doing just this sort of thing 25 years ago in Los Angeles. Came across a car thief under dash of neighbors car...one thing led to another...I spent weekend in hoosegow...the other party wasn't that fortunate...JimB

Old 04-22-2017, 08:21 AM
....On Valet Key...surprisingly it's battery worked...door opened, trunk remained locked...disappointed, the glove box does not lock...I believe that is case with wife's Lexus...what are you supposed to do...take all your stuff out of glove box and put in trunk...another good reason I never do the Valet thing...I guess when car is in care of dealership you have to take it on faith...but with turnover of help even this is questionable...JimB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.