Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Hi and looking for opinions: Potential Continental GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 01:07 PM
amgdude is on a distinguished road
Hi and looking for opinions: Potential Continental GT

Hi All:
Have owned a few AMG's and couple of //M BMW's over the years, but considering moving into my first "exotic" category vehicle. Love just about everything about the Continental GT. Classic, timeless stying is high on the list.
Narrowed it down to 2006 at the newest, 2005 at the oldest. Those years seem to fall into my price range when I factor in that I want no more than ~50k miles on the car. And coupe only. Have a (small) lift at home, access to a garage/shop that a friend owns for more extensive repairs that I've done on my AMG's. Not excessively afraid of the maintenance/repair risks associated with older, luxury cars.

Appears not major significant differences between 2005/2006 models. One that has caught my interest somewhat is this one in Atlanta

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282512719650...9650&viewitem=

The lack of numerous crystal clear photos combined with lack of paid for autocheck, combined with almost zero description, has me a bit hesitant. Either way, the price is a few grand higher than what I'd be willing to pay for this specific car.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2017, 01:42 PM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Get the service records and do a smoke test. You will want to see if the vacuum hose (over the transmission) problem has surfaced and been repaired (engine out). Check the headliner for any signs of sagging. Inspect the front suspension bushings. If possible, do a deep-level (i.e. VAS 5054A) diagnostic test (not just the OBDII). The aftermarket wheels suggest a younger owner. The mileage would make me a little hesitant as that suggests low average miles per annum. These cars are meant to be driven and suffer from lack of use. I have had a 2005 for six years and am happy to share my experiences with it. Just PM me for more detail. I can't comment on the price as I am in Canada with different currency and market.

Also, follow this post in the forum: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ce-needed.html

Last edited by PMS; 06-16-2017 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Expansion
Old 06-16-2017, 03:17 PM
amgdude is on a distinguished road
fantastic. Thank you. Diving into that thread now. Just the kind of info I'm looking for. On early 2000 BMW 740 and 540's, it's the timing chain guides that are the expensive bug a boos. The vacuum hose on the Bentleys seem to be (one) of theirs. Appreciate the guidance to that thread.

Agreed on the wheels (and front bumper cover and rear lid spoiler) pointing to a younger owner possibly. and i normally prefer the stock wheels, then select my own aftermarket wheels if I want, later. However, Im liking those wheels and the updated from bumper.

But not at that price. Even if mechanically, it all checked out flawlessly.

Last edited by amgdude; 06-16-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:14 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Hi amgdude.

My first thought when looking at the photo's was that the aftermarket front bumper is a really poor example, the fit around the grille is terrible. I personally couldn't live with that.
I also noticed that it's parked outside of a paintless dent repair shop!!! Just my observations.

One word of advice. Don't just jump in to the first one you come across, there are others out there.

Good luck with your search.

Les.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:52 PM
cdavis43 is on a distinguished road

Or newer. I would not buy b4 2007. Alot of the bugs worked out. I have owned an 07,15 now a 16

Cliff

Old 06-19-2017, 11:44 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Agree, if you can find a 2008 or newer that helps avoid some of the early 'bugs'.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.