Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2 years of Bentley ownership and 40,000 miles later

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 05:29 PM
CarshowRell is an unknown quantity at this point
2 years of Bentley ownership and 40,000 miles later

Well needless to say my experience has been a great one(knock on wood). I have a 2006 Flying Spur which is used as a chauffeur driven vehicle throughout the mid-atlantic region. The car is hardly driven hard but it is driven a lot. Out of all my cars this was the only car that hasn't left me stranded(knock on wood again) The Spur is regularly maintenanced between oil changes, brakes, rotors, tires replaced, two wheel replacement. Other items were having to change the radiator due to small leak & hoses, oil line leak, replaced hood struts(easy DIY fix), water leak in door and from the rear seat belt hole when raining (another easy DIY fix). Everything totaling together so far around $10,000. For a car of its caliber I say its not bad. I did buy the car under a one year warranty with 49k miles from FC Kerbeck which did cover a few items dealing with idling issues and the radio. I also have a indy dealership I trust that does the work in Maryland and works on nothing but Bentley, Maserati, Aston Martin, Ferrari and Lamborghini. What's next for this year is spark plugs, air filter replacement(DIY fix), replace one rear door self close actuator, and add the neo Bluetooth/aux upgrade which I just ordered today. My technician told me the mileage is high close to 100k and keep a eye on everything but so far its solid as a rock.

Attached Images    
Old 07-27-2017, 05:17 AM
larryr has a spectacular aura aboutlarryr has a spectacular aura about
good news is always welcome. there are lots of complaints here, some for good cause, but the experience is worth it. to me the pleasure far out weighs the pain.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:56 PM
fasttoney is an unknown quantity at this point
Indy dealer

Where is the Indy dealer in Maryland you used? thanks

Old 08-12-2017, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by fasttoney
Where is the Indy dealer in Maryland you used? thanks
Forestville Md Rosso Service (410) 638-AUTO

Old 08-12-2017, 06:59 PM
fasttoney is an unknown quantity at this point
thank you.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:08 PM
21 month quick update and costs. Most of the work was done in first quarter of 2018 but one of the batteries which was replaced two months ago.

Rear Wheel Bearing-$900
Spark Plugs-$1200
Control Arms/Bushings Front- $2200
Struts- $2000 happening unexpected and got them fixed with front end bushings/control arm work
Both Starter and Electrical Battery-$1200
Front Axles-$1550 started leaking
2 Annual Oil Change/review-$891
Bluetooth Added-$265
4 Tires-$1250

Total $11,456 about 10,000 total miles. Close to $5,728 on a high mileage Flying Spur driving now about 5k miles a year since 2017. First two years of ownership was driven around 15k miles per year. My tech said around the 100k mark things start to get unpredictable. After fixing those major suspension components and plugs early 2018 the car has been solid and hasn't needed anything but new batteries and oil changes.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:06 AM
Rico.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by CarshowRell
Well needless to say my experience has been a great one(knock on wood). I have a 2006 Flying Spur which is used as a chauffeur driven vehicle throughout the mid-atlantic region. The car is hardly driven hard but it is driven a lot. Out of all my cars this was the only car that hasn't left me stranded(knock on wood again) The Spur is regularly maintenanced between oil changes, brakes, rotors, tires replaced, two wheel replacement. Other items were having to change the radiator due to small leak & hoses, oil line leak, replaced hood struts(easy DIY fix), water leak in door and from the rear seat belt hole when raining (another easy DIY fix). Everything totaling together so far around $10,000. For a car of its caliber I say its not bad. I did buy the car under a one year warranty with 49k miles from FC Kerbeck which did cover a few items dealing with idling issues and the radio. I also have a indy dealership I trust that does the work in Maryland and works on nothing but Bentley, Maserati, Aston Martin, Ferrari and Lamborghini. What's next for this year is spark plugs, air filter replacement(DIY fix), replace one rear door self close actuator, and add the neo Bluetooth/aux upgrade which I just ordered today. My technician told me the mileage is high close to 100k and keep a eye on everything but so far its solid as a rock.
For a 100k mile vehicle the car looks awesome ...

Old 04-15-2019, 05:11 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Your car is simply stunning!......timeless.......Nothing like a black car for the ultimate in elegance and statement.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by BWings
Your car is simply stunning!......timeless.......Nothing like a black car for the ultimate in elegance and statement.
Thanks abunch. Indeed black cars shine great

Old 05-06-2019, 03:03 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by rico.adams
for a 100k mile vehicle the car looks awesome ...
thanks

Old 05-08-2019, 08:38 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
100K and looking great sir! These cars are a joy to just blast down the highway and go anywhere is extreme comfort.

2014 Spur Mulliner here. Less than one year into ownership the front control bushings needed replacement. Thankfully the repairs were warranty but I have noticed chatter online that front suspension on Spur/Continental is an ongoing issue with new parts not necessarily remedying the problems.

Also, the stereo in this car is absolutely terrible for a 228K vehicle. The sound is tinny and has no substance of any tones. I dont expect Burmester like in the Porsche - but at least a system that sounds better than a new Camry! The right dash speaker blew and was replaced under warranty but now occasionally the left dash speaker will make crackling noises.

Old 05-12-2019, 03:22 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Also, the stereo in this car is absolutely terrible for a 228K vehicle. The sound is tinny and has no substance of any tones. I dont expect Burmester like in the Porsche - but at least a system that sounds better than a new Camry! The right dash speaker blew and was replaced under warranty but now occasionally the left dash speaker will make crackling noises.
Yeah, no kidding. I'm spending $7,000 just to get a stereo that isn't painful to listen to on my 2005 GT, I mean, mine's so horrible I can't believe anyone bought the car new after taking a test drive. I honestly have been in a Hyundai Sonata with a better-sounding system.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:22 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Bentley needs serious attention in their ICE department - NOW!

Where in MI do you reside? I used to live in SE MI.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:00 AM
Engine is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Bentley needs serious attention in their ICE department - NOW!

Where in MI do you reside? I used to live in SE MI.
They've been a bit up and down for a few years to be fair. The Bentayga seems to have a really nice setup though so that's where Bentley need to head in my opinion.

The 'second gen' (i.e. 2013<) Flying Spur ICE was one of the first in-house Bentley ICE designs I believe? I might be wrong but I believe all the design, engineering and development was done by Bentley's engineers, rather than outside sourcing from vendors. Perhaps it was a learning curve for them.

I've always felt the the front head unit that you posted in the other thread was comparatively reasonable, at least audio quality wise. I only had a brief experience with a FS, around 5 weeks and I genuinely thought the audio delivery was warm and pleasant..... I guess my experiences in luxury marque's are probably limited compared to most on here My main negative of that unit was the lagg though The lagg on those units is simply unacceptable!! The hardware in that unit is a fairly respectable as well, no real reason for it other than ropey optimisation. Furthermore, the dealers are really all over the show with the software updates which fix a number of bugs..... good luck getting a dealer to actually perform the update though and indies usually have restricted access to the updates. It's a vicious circle!!

Old 05-18-2019, 05:17 PM
Randy V is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CarshowRell
I have a 2006 Flying Spur which is used as a chauffeur driven vehicle throughout the mid-atlantic region.
You have a personal chauffeur who drives you?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.