Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > British > Bentley
Reload this Page >

2 years of Bentley ownership and 40,000 miles later

Notices
Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2 years of Bentley ownership and 40,000 miles later

 
  #1  
Old 07-26-2017, 05:29 PM
CarshowRell's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Maryland
Age: 36
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
CarshowRell is an unknown quantity at this point
2 years of Bentley ownership and 40,000 miles later

Well needless to say my experience has been a great one(knock on wood). I have a 2006 Flying Spur which is used as a chauffeur driven vehicle throughout the mid-atlantic region. The car is hardly driven hard but it is driven a lot. Out of all my cars this was the only car that hasn't left me stranded(knock on wood again) The Spur is regularly maintenanced between oil changes, brakes, rotors, tires replaced, two wheel replacement. Other items were having to change the radiator due to small leak & hoses, oil line leak, replaced hood struts(easy DIY fix), water leak in door and from the rear seat belt hole when raining (another easy DIY fix). Everything totaling together so far around $10,000. For a car of its caliber I say its not bad. I did buy the car under a one year warranty with 49k miles from FC Kerbeck which did cover a few items dealing with idling issues and the radio. I also have a indy dealership I trust that does the work in Maryland and works on nothing but Bentley, Maserati, Aston Martin, Ferrari and Lamborghini. What's next for this year is spark plugs, air filter replacement(DIY fix), replace one rear door self close actuator, and add the neo Bluetooth/aux upgrade which I just ordered today. My technician told me the mileage is high close to 100k and keep a eye on everything but so far its solid as a rock.
 
Attached Images    
  #2  
Old 07-27-2017, 05:17 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: miami, fl
Posts: 143
Rep Power: 13
larryr has a spectacular aura aboutlarryr has a spectacular aura about
good news is always welcome. there are lots of complaints here, some for good cause, but the experience is worth it. to me the pleasure far out weighs the pain.
 
  #3  
Old 07-27-2017, 02:56 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maryland
Age: 46
Posts: 88
Rep Power: 0
fasttoney is an unknown quantity at this point
Indy dealer

Where is the Indy dealer in Maryland you used? thanks
 
  #4  
Old 08-12-2017, 01:08 PM
CarshowRell's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Maryland
Age: 36
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
CarshowRell is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by fasttoney View Post
Where is the Indy dealer in Maryland you used? thanks
Forestville Md Rosso Service (410) 638-AUTO
 
  #5  
Old 08-12-2017, 06:59 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maryland
Age: 46
Posts: 88
Rep Power: 0
fasttoney is an unknown quantity at this point
thank you.
 
  #6  
Old 04-14-2019, 07:08 PM
CarshowRell's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Maryland
Age: 36
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
CarshowRell is an unknown quantity at this point
21 month quick update and costs. Most of the work was done in first quarter of 2018 but one of the batteries which was replaced two months ago.


Rear Wheel Bearing-$900
Spark Plugs-$1200
Control Arms/Bushings Front- $2200
Struts- $2000 happening unexpected and got them fixed with front end bushings/control arm work
Both Starter and Electrical Battery-$1200
Front Axles-$1550 started leaking
2 Annual Oil Change/review-$891
Bluetooth Added-$265
4 Tires-$1250

Total $11,456 about 10,000 total miles. Close to $5,728 on a high mileage Flying Spur driving now about 5k miles a year since 2017. First two years of ownership was driven around 15k miles per year. My tech said around the 100k mark things start to get unpredictable. After fixing those major suspension components and plugs early 2018 the car has been solid and hasn't needed anything but new batteries and oil changes.
 
  #7  
Old 04-15-2019, 03:06 AM
Rico.Adams's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: England
Age: 54
Posts: 470
Rep Power: 20
Rico.Adams is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CarshowRell View Post
Well needless to say my experience has been a great one(knock on wood). I have a 2006 Flying Spur which is used as a chauffeur driven vehicle throughout the mid-atlantic region. The car is hardly driven hard but it is driven a lot. Out of all my cars this was the only car that hasn't left me stranded(knock on wood again) The Spur is regularly maintenanced between oil changes, brakes, rotors, tires replaced, two wheel replacement. Other items were having to change the radiator due to small leak & hoses, oil line leak, replaced hood struts(easy DIY fix), water leak in door and from the rear seat belt hole when raining (another easy DIY fix). Everything totaling together so far around $10,000. For a car of its caliber I say its not bad. I did buy the car under a one year warranty with 49k miles from FC Kerbeck which did cover a few items dealing with idling issues and the radio. I also have a indy dealership I trust that does the work in Maryland and works on nothing but Bentley, Maserati, Aston Martin, Ferrari and Lamborghini. What's next for this year is spark plugs, air filter replacement(DIY fix), replace one rear door self close actuator, and add the neo Bluetooth/aux upgrade which I just ordered today. My technician told me the mileage is high close to 100k and keep a eye on everything but so far its solid as a rock.
For a 100k mile vehicle the car looks awesome ...
 
  #8  
Old 04-15-2019, 05:11 AM
BWings's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 321
Rep Power: 15
BWings will become famous soon enoughBWings will become famous soon enough
Your car is simply stunning!......timeless.......Nothing like a black car for the ultimate in elegance and statement.
 
  #9  
Old 05-06-2019, 03:03 PM
CarshowRell's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Maryland
Age: 36
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
CarshowRell is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by BWings View Post
Your car is simply stunning!......timeless.......Nothing like a black car for the ultimate in elegance and statement.
Thanks abunch. Indeed black cars shine great
 
  #10  
Old 05-06-2019, 03:03 PM
CarshowRell's Avatar
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Maryland
Age: 36
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
CarshowRell is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Originally Posted by rico.adams View Post
for a 100k mile vehicle the car looks awesome ...
thanks
 
  #11  
Old 05-08-2019, 08:38 AM
XLR82XS's Avatar
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SW FL
Age: 41
Posts: 5,133
Rep Power: 358
XLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond repute
100K and looking great sir! These cars are a joy to just blast down the highway and go anywhere is extreme comfort.

2014 Spur Mulliner here. Less than one year into ownership the front control bushings needed replacement. Thankfully the repairs were warranty but I have noticed chatter online that front suspension on Spur/Continental is an ongoing issue with new parts not necessarily remedying the problems.

Also, the stereo in this car is absolutely terrible for a 228K vehicle. The sound is tinny and has no substance of any tones. I dont expect Burmester like in the Porsche - but at least a system that sounds better than a new Camry! The right dash speaker blew and was replaced under warranty but now occasionally the left dash speaker will make crackling noises.
 
  #12  
Old 05-12-2019, 03:22 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: MI
Age: 49
Posts: 109
Rep Power: 0
British is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by XLR82XS View Post
Also, the stereo in this car is absolutely terrible for a 228K vehicle. The sound is tinny and has no substance of any tones. I dont expect Burmester like in the Porsche - but at least a system that sounds better than a new Camry! The right dash speaker blew and was replaced under warranty but now occasionally the left dash speaker will make crackling noises.
Yeah, no kidding. I'm spending $7,000 just to get a stereo that isn't painful to listen to on my 2005 GT, I mean, mine's so horrible I can't believe anyone bought the car new after taking a test drive. I honestly have been in a Hyundai Sonata with a better-sounding system.
 
  #13  
Old 05-13-2019, 07:22 AM
XLR82XS's Avatar
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SW FL
Age: 41
Posts: 5,133
Rep Power: 358
XLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond reputeXLR82XS has a reputation beyond repute
Bentley needs serious attention in their ICE department - NOW!

Where in MI do you reside? I used to live in SE MI.
 
  #14  
Old 05-13-2019, 09:00 AM
Registered User
Join Date: May 2019
Location: London
Posts: 28
Rep Power: 0
Engine is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by XLR82XS View Post
Bentley needs serious attention in their ICE department - NOW!

Where in MI do you reside? I used to live in SE MI.
They've been a bit up and down for a few years to be fair. The Bentayga seems to have a really nice setup though so that's where Bentley need to head in my opinion.

The 'second gen' (i.e. 2013<) Flying Spur ICE was one of the first in-house Bentley ICE designs I believe? I might be wrong but I believe all the design, engineering and development was done by Bentley's engineers, rather than outside sourcing from vendors. Perhaps it was a learning curve for them.

I've always felt the the front head unit that you posted in the other thread was comparatively reasonable, at least audio quality wise. I only had a brief experience with a FS, around 5 weeks and I genuinely thought the audio delivery was warm and pleasant..... I guess my experiences in luxury marque's are probably limited compared to most on here My main negative of that unit was the lagg though The lagg on those units is simply unacceptable!! The hardware in that unit is a fairly respectable as well, no real reason for it other than ropey optimisation. Furthermore, the dealers are really all over the show with the software updates which fix a number of bugs..... good luck getting a dealer to actually perform the update though and indies usually have restricted access to the updates. It's a vicious circle!!
 
  #15  
Old 05-18-2019, 05:17 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Encinitas CA
Age: 59
Posts: 52
Rep Power: 0
Randy V is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by CarshowRell View Post
I have a 2006 Flying Spur which is used as a chauffeur driven vehicle throughout the mid-atlantic region.
You have a personal chauffeur who drives you?
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.