Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

04/05 GT purchase - what to look for?

Old 11-13-2017, 04:42 AM
Mattman42 is an unknown quantity at this point
04/05 GT purchase - what to look for?

I'm looking to purchase a GT in the next 6 months to replace my leased scirocco. After many, many cars - I am now looking for something special as a long term daily king approx 8k a year. The GT is my target with a budget around £25k I'm looking for an 04/05 car (because I don't want to pay the £535 VED - I know, I know) with around 50-75,000 miles.

apart from the usual checks of buying any car - is there anything specific to look out for on the GT? I have read about a gearbox tube that should have been changed already. Do the ZF gearboxes need flushing and fluid changes or are they sealed for life? I'm not fussed on where I get it from, the car and condition is my main concern so happy to consider private or dealer.

I understand the ongoing running costs but this is a bucket car ever since I had the joy of driving a GTC Supersport across the alps in 2011.

it looks like values are bottoming out at around £20k with higher mileages (+100k) which I would rather avoid.

i do like the mulliner spec too, but this seems to be rarer at this age.

assume that a standard car will maintain value better than anything 'modified'? Is there any particular option I should be looking for nad equally shouldn't worry about at all?

i do like a nice exhaust note, my previous 6 series was very quiet in this respect - do aftermarket exhausts help in this regard or again, should I avoid?

ideal colour way is the dark metallic blue with saffron leather - I have time to get the right car so what to make sure I get my research all lined up.

thanks in advance for any advice or guidance

Old 11-14-2017, 10:57 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Hi Mattman.

I just sold my 04 which I had for 4 years.

Things to look for.

Gearbox vacuum hose replacement. It's an engine out job and cost me £3,700 4 years ago at the main dealer. It can also cause the vacuum pump to fail, but that's not a big job.
Sagging headliner, quite common apparently.
Worn driver seat bolster, also common.
Touch lock/unlock door handles can fail.
Check brake discs for wear. A full set with pads will be over a grand.

The gearbox is sealed for life but ZF recommend oil changes every 60k or so. That goes for any other car with the same box.

The exhaust. Just disconnect the vacuum hoses at the rear silencers and plug them. This results in permanent active exhaust noise. Lots on here have done that.

My best bit of advice. Don't just jump at the first one you see. There are plenty of them for sale on Auto Trader & the Bay, as you probably already know.

Good luck.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:45 PM
Mattman42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the reply and tips EXSF - i didn't know that about the exhaust so definitely something to look for

Old 11-15-2017, 05:50 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Also check to see if the third brake light has been replaced. Early units on the GT had water leaks that caused shorting within them, so you got a warning on the dash about it not working (generally when wet).