6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   Infotainment power cycling (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/417732-infotainment-power-cycling.html)

zer0xp 02-14-2018 07:49 PM

Infotainment power cycling

Hey everyone
My '16 CGT has been acting up lately. The car only has 1500 miles on it, so I really don't know what the deal is

When the car is powered on, the infotainment unit won't leave the splash screen. It power cycles constantly, only showing the bentley logo + naim audio.

I have scanned the car using the OBD port and vagcom software which throws no fault codes for the infotainment unit, but the display behind the steering wheel shows "car too low, do not drive." The front end does indeed look slammed down on its wheels.

I have no local Bentley dealer as the car was an independent import, so short of putting it on a boat and sending it back, I'm on my own here.

Any ideas?

Johnny Hotspur GT 02-15-2018 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by zer0xp (Post 4697618)
Hey everyone
My '16 CGT has been acting up lately. The car only has 1500 miles on it, so I really don't know what the deal is

When the car is powered on, the infotainment unit won't leave the splash screen. It power cycles constantly, only showing the bentley logo + naim audio.

I have scanned the car using the OBD port and vagcom software which throws no fault codes for the infotainment unit, but the display behind the steering wheel shows "car too low, do not drive." The front end does indeed look slammed down on its wheels.

I have no local Bentley dealer as the car was an independent import, so short of putting it on a boat and sending it back, I'm on my own here.

Any ideas?

Hello zer0xp,
Being you have only 1500 miles on the vehicle I would hope your front suspension would be in working order, it's practically brand new, unless you hit something causing some kind of damage to said suspension, but I am going with that not being the case, So, tell us if you use a battery tender to keep both batteries charged, have you had to jump start it, or use the emergency start by turning the key counter clockwise, have your checked to voltage at each battery without the engine running ?

Also please share your location, you may have a member on here in your location to provide hands on help, you never know.

Johnny

zer0xp 03-08-2018 09:01 PM

Honestly thought I replied to this, but I also have a thread going at ross-tech for some help, but no luck

I contacted Bentley UK who put me onto a technician. His first guess was that the battery was dying. The LHS battery has been replaced with a fresh battery to rule out any low voltage limitations. The car has since been plugged into the OEM supplied battery tender.

The car has never given any trouble to start, therefore it has never needed any jumping or emergency starting. However VCDS has shown many low voltage errors which have been cleared and never reappeared since the battery was changed a few days after making this thread. The old battery was reporting 11.7-11.9V through VCDS. The new battery reports 12.9 - 13V.

Still no clue what's going on. Took a look at the suspension at the front end of the car to check that the level sensors and air lines were all in tact, and they were indeed. I can't check for any air leaks because the compressor doesn't seem to be coming on at all.

I can't manually activate the compressor through VCDS because Bentley refuses to release the security codes, so short of sending the car back, I'm at a loss.

pwc6t3 12-07-2018 08:26 AM

Did you find a solution to your infotainment system cycling? I have a 15 GT Speed and it started doing the same thing. I am going to replace the main battery today and see if that fixes it.

Johnny Hotspur GT 12-07-2018 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by pwc6t3 (Post 4754193)
Did you find a solution to your infotainment system cycling? I have a 15 GT Speed and it started doing the same thing. I am going to replace the main battery today and see if that fixes it.

Hello Paul,
Hope all is well, as far as the constant cycling, I have read it may be a firmware update issue for the 2012 and up infotainment units, so I would be calling the dealer for info on this problem...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...formatent.html

Johnny Hotspur GT 12-07-2018 10:39 AM

Try this reboot.

zer0xp 12-07-2018 11:52 AM

I went back and forth with Bentley over this matter for almost a year. There is no Bentley dealer here and none of the senior techs in the UK had any clue what could possibly be wrong with it .

In the end I decided to ship the car back to Bentley to have it fixed. It's there at the moment. As soon as they can tell me what's wrong with it, I will update this thread .

Funnily enough they say that they've never seen this happen, which from the looks of it, is an outright lie .

All of the reboots didn't do anything for me, neither did replacing the battery . Bentley Miami and Bentley UK both told me that no SDL disc exists for restoring the firmware on these vehicles and the only option was a $5000 replacement unit.

pwc6t3 12-08-2018 09:29 PM

Thanks, as always, for your help Johnny! I hope you are doing well up there in the snow.
I replaced the battery yesterday but haven't had good weather to have the car out.
The reason I wondered if it was voltage related is that when I leave the house in the morning (the car lives on a charger) it seems to work just fine. When I come out from work to head home, it starts giving me problems. I am thinking sitting for the day not on a charger could potentially drop the voltage just enough to mess something up.
Paul

Johnny Hotspur GT 05-02-2019 03:24 PM

Hello Zer0xp,
Any update on this ?

Originally Posted by zer0xp (Post 4754231)
I went back and forth with Bentley over this matter for almost a year. There is no Bentley dealer here and none of the senior techs in the UK had any clue what could possibly be wrong with it .

In the end I decided to ship the car back to Bentley to have it fixed. It's there at the moment. As soon as they can tell me what's wrong with it, I will update this thread .

Funnily enough they say that they've never seen this happen, which from the looks of it, is an outright lie .

All of the reboots didn't do anything for me, neither did replacing the battery . Bentley Miami and Bentley UK both told me that no SDL disc exists for restoring the firmware on these vehicles and the only option was a $5000 replacement unit.

Johnny Hotspur GT 05-03-2019 05:41 PM

Okay,
Someone just left me a REP for the video I pasted in post #6, and said person leaving REP stated that the info in the video worked on his or her Flying Spur, but I can not see who left said REP, nor did they state which year FS it was, So if whomever left REP, please share here your experience and faults of said head unit so others here my know.

Thank You.
Johnny J J

zer0xp 05-03-2019 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT (Post 4780279)
Hello Zer0xp,
Any update on this ?

Sorry about the late reply.
Jeez, what a journey it has been.

The car was serviced by Bentley USA and is now back in my possession. I'm happy to report that everything is finally fixed. I've attached the worklog below so that everyone can see what they did.

Ride height cm, air supply compressor for suspension, air
supply relay, and infotainment display unit faulty GOOD WILL. Verified Customer concern.
Found suspension collapsed and level control system
warning displayed. Run gff. Found multiple faults logged in different
modules. Test both batteries and verified both above 12v. Cleared
faults and hard faults remain in ride height cm for VAG01583:Leak
detected in system, VAG00477:Information display ctrl head ctrl module,
front on comf. CAN no signal/communication intermittent, and
VAG01400:Level control system lower limit not reached. Attempt to fill
suspension through VAS service function but found compressor not
operating. Checked fuses for ride height module & suspension compressor
& proper voltage found at fuses. Removed underbody sheet for access to
compressor connectors and voltage not being supplied. Necessary to
remove and reinstall rear driver side interior quarter trim panel for
access to check wiring from ride height cm to compressor and wiring had
proper continuity and no shorts found. Found relay for compressor had
corrosion. replaced relay. Also swapped known good infotainment unit
from other vehicle due to hard information display CAN fault. After
swap suspension compressor now started operating weak and then no
longer kept operating. Necessary to remove and replace infotainment
unit (performed programming and coding) and replaced air supply
compressor for suspension. Vehicle suspension now operating and raised
to normal and then to high mode. However when trying to lower vehicle
back to normal, found vehicle was being put into jack mode
automatically with the only fault bein g logged is jack mode.
determined issue was as a result of a internally faulty ride height
control unit. Removed and reinstalled rear driver side interior quarter
trim panel for access to remove and replace ride height control unit.
performed programming and coding of new ride height cm. Necessary now
to perform ride height calibration. Cleared all faults and road test
vehicle for 3 miles. Performed multiple operations to raise and lower
vehicle suspension and found suspension now operating as designed.
Performed vehicle suspension leak test over several days and no leaks
present in suspension system. Vehicle now operating as designed.

Hope this helps someone out there.

pwc6t3 05-04-2019 08:42 AM

I purchased a used infotainment unit to try and fix my constantly resetting unit. I matched the HW and SW numbers exactly. New unit powers on fine, everything works except the sound. It appears that although the numbers match exactly, the new unit is not compatible with my NAIM audio system. When it turns on it doesn't show the NAIM symbol on the screen like my original unit does and NAIM options don't show up in any of the on screen menus. Anyone have any clue how I can tell if a unit has the NAIM software installed? So I now have a unit that constantly resets, and a 2015 non NAIM unit, that works fine if anyone is looking for one.
There seems to be a software program you can buy to work on these head units, but I have no experience with electronics and don't want to waste even more money if it won't fix the problem.
http://obdtoolusa.com/product/setconfig-2-51-non-clone/
Paul

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...61be0c352d.jpg

zer0xp 05-04-2019 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT (Post 4780279)
Hello Zer0xp,
Any update on this ?

I posted a reply last night with the jobsheet from VW but it says my post needs to be approved. Not sure what's going on

Johnny Hotspur GT 05-04-2019 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by zer0xp (Post 4780549)
I posted a reply last night with the jobsheet from VW but it says my post needs to be approved. Not sure what's going on

That's odd...
If it does not appear soon would you please post a picture of said job sheet ?

Thank You.

Johnny J J

Johnny Hotspur GT 05-04-2019 09:22 AM

Hello Paul,
Which unit do you have pictured here, also do you have pictures of both units to compare labels, as not sure if you noticed the HW: #, but then two SW: numbers on the unit you have pictured, I know when I picked up the 2010 head unit it had different SW number then other 2010's listed, and the unit I received turned out to be a NAIM head unit, and had all the NAIM sound options and showed "NAIM for Bentley" on screen, but the sound was horrible and made no difference when adjusting sound fields, so I did my whole NAIM amp install process....

Originally Posted by pwc6t3 (Post 4780547)
I purchased a used infotainment unit to try and fix my constantly resetting unit. I matched the HW and SW numbers exactly. New unit powers on fine, everything works except the sound. It appears that although the numbers match exactly, the new unit is not compatible with my NAIM audio system. When it turns on it doesn't show the NAIM symbol on the screen like my original unit does and NAIM options don't show up in any of the on screen menus. Anyone have any clue how I can tell if a unit has the NAIM software installed? So I now have a unit that constantly resets, and a 2015 non NAIM unit, that works fine if anyone is looking for one.
There seems to be a software program you can buy to work on these head units, but I have no experience with electronics and don't want to waste even more money if it won't fix the problem.
Paul

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...61be0c352d.jpg