6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   GTC...anybody traced air suspension leaks? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/418062-gtc-anybody-traced-air-suspension-leaks.html)

philberticus 02-26-2018 04:40 PM

GTC...anybody traced air suspension leaks?

09 continental gtc.
mine droops at the front over about 4 days of non use. pass front is definitely a little lower than drivers side.
took off pass front wheel, soaked everything with soapy water, no visible leak.
went to compressor underneath at back, same story.
if the strut itself leaks (I know they do after some years) how do I narrow it to that strut in order to buy parts?

thanks in advance

BWings 03-06-2018 06:47 AM

New to Bentley, but I've had lots of experience with Jaguar's air suspension. They leaked often from the top of the air spring. It was usually the top of the bladder that sprung leaks. It could be found with a spray bottle or flooding the top of the spring. The fronts showed through in the engine compartment. Sorry this probably isn't helping you much.

Steve

philberticus 03-06-2018 08:06 AM

Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think I was in an empty room :)

I tried the top soak. I saw a video where they had failed internally, soapy water in the top of the strut yielded a lot of bubbles.
Mine doesnt do that, plus its a VERY slow leak. I sprayed the underside of the bladder where its visible, nothing there either. hoping theres a way to narrow it down before I have to go buy random parts

BWings 03-06-2018 08:30 AM

In my years dealing with them, I can't recall ever finding a line leak. Maybe that's good news for you. It was always fittings or the bladder that leaked. The air compressor is unlikely the culprit either. Don't know yet on Bentley, but Jaguar used a holding tank located in the trunk, then it fed a distribution block. The compressor fed the holding tank. So, leaks that caused a corner to droop had to be somewhere from the holding tank to the corner itself.

Compressors usually fail giving a C-code plausibility error. As the compressor weakens, it cannot refill the holding tank in the allotted time. There is a relatively cheap easy rebuild fix for this and I expect Bentley's compressor is the same. If/when that time comes, I'll be ready.

ssonss1 03-06-2018 07:01 PM

I've got two Flying Spurs and been through probably 5-6 struts total. It's usually the passenger front that goes first, and since your passenger front is lower then that is 100% the failing strut. I normally wait until they fail completely before replacing them (not the best idea but works for me), one of the cars has been leaking out after 2-3 days of non use for almost 2 years now. On the other hand I have had struts just fail with absolutely no signs of sagging.

If you have any questions let me know

Lars_Tempest 03-14-2018 10:03 AM

Mine had a leak on the rear.. Dealer orderd change of Air strut unit - that changed nothing except my bank balance..long story short, the fault was the line/plastic pipe, near the compressor / distributor central under rear of car. The pipe was touching a nut that had sawed its way through the plastic thus cutting a leak in the line. Bad design and bad diagnosis, but yes the line may well be at fault.
Sounds like you checked the lines though?

philberticus 05-11-2018 08:13 PM

Dudes...thank you!!

All this time I thought nobody had replied. I guess the forum doesn't let me know when there is a reply. Either that or I had notifications turned off?
either way... Thanks.
I just ordered both front struts from RMT pompano beach. A little over 1050 USD for both front units, (sent mine in for rebuild)
I will let yawls know how it goes.
And yes, I checked the lines where accessible, front wheel wells, and by compressor.