6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   Need help id'ing this. (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/418525-need-help-iding.html)

TeamJones1962 03-11-2018 01:00 PM

Need help id'ing this.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...e0a8af79a6.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...4cb7c8351a.jpg
Finally got around to looking at the trunk and notice this "thing" sticking out and couldn't fully close the panel. What is it? And also noticed this plug just hanging. Also, what yr did they start with the auto open and close trunks? These are the two batteries i have.

I also has a mild scare today, it's kinda embarrassing lol.
the end of my driveway is pitched somewhat so I parked the car there to power wash my floor. I go to start the car using the push to start and nothing. I'm freaking out. I see a few icons on the dash and my mind starts to race. So I use the key....turn left...nothing...turn right.. it starts. So now I'm just leaving it running then I remember seeing something on the radio screen saying something about tow disable. I move the car to level ground and now it starts again with the button. So if your car won't start with the button, check to see if your on a incline.

Johnny Hotspur GT 03-13-2018 07:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by TeamJones1962 (Post 4702484)
Finally got around to looking at the trunk and notice this "thing" sticking out and couldn't fully close the panel. What is it? And also noticed this plug just hanging. Also, what yr did they start with the auto open and close trunks? These are the two batteries i have.

I also has a mild scare today, it's kinda embarrassing lol.
the end of my driveway is pitched somewhat so I parked the car there to power wash my floor. I go to start the car using the push to start and nothing. I'm freaking out. I see a few icons on the dash and my mind starts to race. So I use the key....turn left...nothing...turn right.. it starts. So now I'm just leaving it running then I remember seeing something on the radio screen saying something about tow disable. I move the car to level ground and now it starts again with the button. So if your car won't start with the button, check to see if your on a incline.

Hello TJ,
The 8 contactor plug you see hanging is for the trunk lid's lift and lower motor, the power trunk lift and lower option became available here in 2006, so check to see if you have the "Boot Close" button on the inner right side of the trunk lid, if you have the button, you have the option and it may be unplugged because it failed, if no button, no go, if you want to add it as I am (because I have all the items needed from the parts car) you will need the motor, the right side hinge for L&L operation, the button fitted to inner trunk lid by cutting a hole in the metal for the switch to recess into, the control module, ETC.

Now as to the side cover not fitting properly, it appears that your battery discharge relay/solenoid part # 3D0919433 is bent down on an angle and interfering with said cover, look at my pictures in my rebuild thread to see how straight upward it should be, post #26 8th pic down, rebuild link is below in my signature, be very careful if you try to adjust it, I would pull both positives of the batteries before going into that tight area.

Now I have a question and a comment as to you turning the key to the left, I ask why did you turn it to the left instead of the right for proper starting, I understand that the push button start did not work, but what I want to know is did you first turn the key to the right to start and nothing happened, in case you did not know, when either battery (mostly the house on the left) is weak/low the push button start and some other items are cut off to conserve power, you would then try to start by turning the key to the right as normal, if it fails to engage the starter motor you then turn the key to the left to put it in emergency start mode, what that does is it puts both batteries in parallel, you then turn the key to the right as normal to start, that piece that is sticking out in the trunk blocking the cover from going on is the battery parallel relay/solenoid, next how old are the batteries, as the incline had nothing to do with it not starting, but a weak battery and you turning it to the left then right started the engine.

TeamJones1962 03-13-2018 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT (Post 4702996)
Hello TJ,
The 8 contactor plug you see hanging is for the trunk lid's lift and lower motor, the power trunk lift and lower option became available here in 2006, so check to see if you have the "Boot Close" button on the inner right side of the trunk lid, if you have the button, you have the option and it may be unplugged because it failed, if no button, no go, if you want to add it as I am (because I have all the items needed from the parts car) you will need the motor, the right side hinge for L&L operation, the button fitted to inner trunk lid by cutting a hole in the metal for the switch to recess into, the control module, ETC.

Now as to the side cover not fitting properly, it appears that your battery discharge relay/solenoid part # 3D0919433 is bent down on an angle and interfering with said cover, look at my pictures in my rebuild thread to see how straight upward it should be, post #26 8th pic down, rebuild link is below in my signature, be very careful if you try to adjust it, I would pull both positives of the batteries before going into that tight area.

Now I have a question and a comment as to you turning the key to the left, I ask why did you turn it to the left instead of the right for proper starting, I understand that the push button start did not work, but what I want to know is did you first turn the key to the right to start and nothing happened, in case you did not know, when either battery (mostly the house on the left) is weak/low the push button start and some other items are cut off to conserve power, you would then try to start by turning the key to the right as normal, if it fails to engage the starter motor you then turn the key to the left to put it in emergency start mode, what that does is it puts both batteries in parallel, you then turn the key to the right as normal to start, that piece that is sticking out in the trunk blocking the cover from going on is the battery parallel relay/solenoid, next how old are the batteries, as the incline had nothing to do with it not starting, but a weak battery and you turning it to the left then right started the engine.

Thanks for the reply. As for the trunk lift, I guess mines wasn't equip with that option even tho I have that Mulliner package. I would love to have it, but I guess it's not going to happen at this point. As for that relay thing sticking out, I'm just going to have to drive up to Bentley in Northbrook and have them look at it when I order 2 new keys.

As far as turning it left first I really can't explain why. I might have turned it right first then left, but I was kind of tripping because it wouldn' start. I just bought the car a month ago so I don' know how old the batteries are but just today I was looking at Odessey batteries trying to find the closest dealer near me, which is 2 hours away. But I wanted to change them out anyway just to be on the safe side.