6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   Repairing Bumper Cracks? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/423521-repairing-bumper-cracks.html)

W. M. Hellinger 08-16-2018 06:13 PM

Repairing Bumper Cracks?

I have a 2008 GTC with a couple minor cracks down low in the front bumper skin. I have the bumper skin off. I ask if there's a recommended glue type or plastic welding type to heal them up? I'm not aspiring to concours restoration... just heal up the cracks while the bumper skin is off.

Rons GT Speed 08-17-2018 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger (Post 4733558)
I have a 2008 GTC with a couple minor cracks down low in the front bumper skin. I have the bumper skin off. I ask if there's a recommended glue type or plastic welding type to heal them up? I'm not aspiring to concours restoration... just heal up the cracks while the bumper skin is off.

Hello Hellinger. I am also in the process of repairing cracks on the lower portion of the front bumper. If you do some research on YouTube on how others have used the material, You might find this to be an durable and acceptable repair product. 3M 8116 PANEL BONDING ADHESIVE W/8571 APPLICATOR.
Ron

PMS 08-17-2018 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger (Post 4733558)

Having repaired my bumper twice, I realized the essence of the problem. The crack was caused at a stress point where it curves around the fender. Fixing the crack doesn't eliminate the stress point. To repair your bumper skin properly, you must remove it and layer fiberglass behind the bumper to reinforce the stress points (e.g. both corners). Once you have cured the fiberglass, you can repair the crack itself using conventional plastic bumper repair materials and then prep and paint the entire bumper. Not really a DIY project for most owners. However, if you don't relieve the stress first, any cracks will reappear. I redid my bumper properly five years ago and haven't had an issue since. It wasn't that expensive as I simply removed the bumper and took it to my local body shop. It was A LOT cheaper than a new bumper!!

1eapplebaum 08-17-2018 03:25 PM

Agree with Mr. PMS. I use J-B Weld the slow dry compound. Rough up area with 60 or 40 Grit apply thin layer of JB Weld. Then I lay squared tight weave fiberglass material on top of applied J-B Weld. Than, smooth another layer of JB Weld over the fiberglass. Use a small applicator normally used for Bondo. Repaired motorcycle fairings and plastic composite bumpers this way, all resulting in long-term success.

W. M. Hellinger 08-24-2018 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Rons GT Speed (Post 4733638)
Hello Hellinger. I am also in the process of repairing cracks on the lower portion of the front bumper. If you do some research on YouTube on how others have used the material, You might find this to be an durable and acceptable repair product. 3M 8116 PANEL BONDING ADHESIVE W/8571 APPLICATOR.
Ron

Thank you Ron. Per your recommendation, I surfed YouTube concerned with the 3M 8116 product, which appears to be for glue bonding (metal?) panels. In my YouTube surfing related to the 3M 8116 product I stumbled onto 3M Automix EZ Fix Flexible Patch system, specifically for bumper skins, which I think I'll give a try and see how it works.

Rons GT Speed 09-02-2018 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger (Post 4735116)
Thank you Ron. Per your recommendation, I surfed YouTube concerned with the 3M 8116 product, which appears to be for glue bonding (metal?) panels. In my YouTube surfing related to the 3M 8116 product I stumbled onto 3M Automix EZ Fix Flexible Patch system, specifically for bumper skins, which I think I'll give a try and see how it works.

Sorry Hellinger for the response delay. I was away. Thank you for your find. I will look at this for a repair method and product use.
Ron