6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   '09 Flying Spur LOUD whining noise--pump?? Need input (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/423750-09-flying-spur-loud-whining-noise-pump-need-input.html)

cduluk1 08-24-2018 12:56 PM

'09 Flying Spur LOUD whining noise--pump?? Need input

Hi all-

Question about my 2009 Flying Spur

For the past few mornings when I'd try to start the car, I noticed that the brake pedal was SOLID (very hard to press) while i turned the key, then softened upon startup. Then this morning, the car started making an extremely LOUD squealing/whining sound, that increases in intensity with engine revs and does not go away. It did it the whole way to work. I tried pulling over and restarting--no change. And it's still doing it on my way home from work.

The car is behaving 100% normally, otherwise, and there aren't any check engine or warning lights on the dash. The ONLY unusual indication was a temporary selection of ALL of the P-R-N-D-S icons in the gauge cluster (usually only the D would be selected while in drive). But upon the next startup, it was normal.http://i67.tinypic.com/21cijwm.jpg

And here's a video of the sound. What do you think it could be? What should I check? Thanks for any input!

Lucky John 08-24-2018 06:41 PM

That sounded like it was coming from the drivers side and engine speed related. Power steering maybe? Test if the noise changes while turning the steering wheel while the car is running. The power steering refill is on the driver side. Make another video with the hood open and see if you can track the sound down more. I don't know how that could affect the PRND lights.

sspeeder 08-25-2018 04:01 PM

To me it sounds like your vacuum pump is running continuously. Having a harder than normal brake pedal before switching the engine on would indicate a vacuum loss somewhere. However is that is the case, it is not to be expected on a 2009 model. I would suggest you to have a vacuum test done,

Kes 08-26-2018 07:40 AM

I guess it's altenator

cduluk1 08-27-2018 05:28 AM

The noise does get a LOT worse when I turn the wheel left and right with the engine on.

Johnny Hotspur GT 08-27-2018 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by cduluk1 (Post 4735479)
The noise does get a LOT worse when I turn the wheel left and right with the engine on.

Hello Chris,
Did you check the power steering fluid level as lucky John pointed to ?

Johnny

cduluk1 08-27-2018 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT (Post 4735516)
Hello Chris,
Did you check the power steering fluid level as lucky John pointed to ?

Johnny

Level is normal, though the fluid looks completely brown (not sure what color it's supposed to look like).

cduluk1 08-27-2018 11:36 AM

Here's another video, showing the sound when i try to turn the wheel and rev it in park.

Perkunas 08-27-2018 02:16 PM

That is crazy loud. Sounds like power steering going bad.

I was going to say the brake booster pump just from the description, but video has me thinking power steering pump going out.

Lucky John 08-27-2018 03:27 PM

Probably the power steering pump. Without running out to the garage and looking I thought the fluid on that is supposed to be pink. Then we have the noise in two ways; it is steering related and rev related. If it was the rack I wouldn't think it would make noise just from revving the engine. The up side is a new pump is not that much money. 3W0 422 154 K, Looks to be the part number. It is also a VW part and if you switch the W with a D ie 3D0 422 154 K that looks like a matching part however for once it looks like the Bentley part may cost less.
I'd recommend having a dealer or good independent do the work. The pulley has to be shimmed out the right distance or it will put stress on all the other belt related systems. So hide the Rolex (nice Rolex BTW) and drive it into your nearest VW dealer and tell them it is just a fancy Phaeton and see what they say.

Johnny Hotspur GT 08-27-2018 04:23 PM

Hello Chris,
The oil is Hydraulic and clear, maybe with a tinge of green, please tell us how you made out with the A/C compressor, did you have it replaced, and as it sits right next to the power steering pump did someone remove said PS pump or disconnect the hoses from to PS pump while working on the A/C compressor, that would point to low PS fluid level if indeed low, you definitely have that air in PS system whine, did you check the level with the engine running ?

And PLEASE stop running it with that noise, if the pump has not already burned out, it soon will, and it will finally seize from lack of lubricant, THEN you can buy a used low mileage one from me at 50% off the $250 retail. ;)

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/pentosin-chf-11s

cduluk1 08-27-2018 04:46 PM

The fluid levels for both the power steering and brake remained at normal levels even with engine on and warm/cold. I found the fuse box diagrams and pulled the fuses one at a time for all the pumps listed, however each time the noise still persisted. The fluid for the power steering is definitely a horrid brown, though I couldn’t find any metal shavings in it.

And yes I did have the AC compressor replaced about a year ago, and the AC blower motor replaced about 3 months ago. Maybe they did mess something up there.

I limped the car to my local Audi dealership that has serviced my car a few times before (none of my local VW dealerships would take it in). Their labor rate is about half that of my Bentley dealership, and quite honestly, I think they have more experience working on the Bentley than the Bentley dealership (who also services jaguar, Land Rover, RR, Maserati, etc). They gave me a Q7 suv (freaking LOADED) and said they’d call me tomorrow with their input. I’m also having them put on new wipers (because we all know Autozone doesn’t have them) and they’re going to look into why my back-up cam hasn’t worked in about a year.

Ill keep you guys updated!

cduluk1 08-27-2018 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky John (Post 4735582)
Probably the power steering pump. Without running out to the garage and looking I thought the fluid on that is supposed to be pink. Then we have the noise in two ways; it is steering related and rev related. If it was the rack I wouldn't think it would make noise just from revving the engine. The up side is a new pump is not that much money. 3W0 422 154 K, Looks to be the part number. It is also a VW part and if you switch the W with a D ie 3D0 422 154 K that looks like a matching part however for once it looks like the Bentley part may cost less.
I'd recommend having a dealer or good independent do the work. The pulley has to be shimmed out the right distance or it will put stress on all the other belt related systems. So hide the Rolex (nice Rolex BTW) and drive it into your nearest VW dealer and tell them it is just a fancy Phaeton and see what they say.

Are you sure that’s the part number for my 2009 W12 flying spur? From the little research I just queried, that part number (3W0422154k) is coming back to ‘4-‘08’ V8 (which doesn’t make sense to me).

When the the dealer calls me, I want to have more knowledge about the part #s so save some $$$ !!

Johnny Hotspur GT 08-27-2018 09:15 PM

See link, item #1.

https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/par...121/2092/36896

Johnny

Originally Posted by cduluk1 (Post 4735672)

Are you sure that’s the part number for my 2009 W12 flying spur? From the little research I just queried, that part number (3W0422154k) is coming back to ‘4-‘08’ V8 (which doesn’t make sense to me).

When the the dealer calls me, I want to have more knowledge about the part #s so save some $$$ !!

Lucky John 08-27-2018 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by cduluk1 (Post 4735672)

I am fairly comfortable with it. It came from Scuderia. I thought their price at $249 wasn't too bad. If I am wrong I am sorry.

It's hay harvest here on the farm. When I get more time I want to put together a part number thread. So far I have figured out these numbers can be broken down and divided. In this case 3W0 is Bentley, 422 154 is power steering pump, and k is the time period/era it fits. IF we get a list going, most of these cars are a conglomeration of other parts from VW/Audi/Skoda/Bentley, we could all save a few bucks.

A shoutout to Johnny Hot Spurs! I bought my Bentley before reading your epic rebuild thread. When I came across it I knew I had to join this board.