Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley GTC 2008 wont start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:22 PM
Stephen Perez is an unknown quantity at this point
Bentley GTC 2008 wont start

HI my bentley was running fine then misfire code came on after running rough. During inspection found ecu 1 had corroded plug so had ecu replaced at dealer. Now there is a no start. Should I replace ecu in pairs ? Could car be in hibernate mode? Please advise. Thanks Steve

Old 11-14-2018, 04:12 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Stephen Perez
HI my bentley was running fine then misfire code came on after running rough. During inspection found ecu 1 had corroded plug so had ecu replaced at dealer. Now there is a no start. Should I replace ecu in pairs ? Could car be in hibernate mode? Please advise. Thanks Steve
Hello Stephen,
Did the dealer replace the Master or the Slave ECU, also was this at a Bentley dealership, as the ECU's, the steering column, the KESSY module, and the key are all part of the Keyless Entry & Start System "KESSY", all these modules are tied together by coding and a SKC= secret key code.
Did the dealer program the ECU to your vehicle ?

EDIT: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...I_ECU_Swapping

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 11-14-2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add link
Old 11-17-2018, 02:52 PM
Reply for johnny

Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello Stephen,Did the dealer replace the Master or the Slave ECU, also was this at a Bentley dealership, as the ECU's, the steering column, the KESSY module, and the key are all part of the Keyless Entry & Start System "KESSY", all these modules are tied together by coding and a SKC= secret key code.

Johnny
Hi Johnny Thanks for the reply. Yes I had a master ecu new from bentley replaced and programmed at Bentley in New jersey. They are saying the car will not crank over. Prior to bringing it to them them car was running with a misfire. Any input from you would be helpful. Or what should I look for in relation to programming ie ask for the printout from the programming? Thanks again Stephen Im located in westchester county new york.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 08-10-2021 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Fix QUOTE
Old 11-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hi johnny
I think you forgot the rest of your reply...

Johnny

Old 11-17-2018, 04:52 PM
Administrator
Hi johnny

Okay, I see what happened, you somehow posted your reply in with the quote of me.

So you said "Hi Johnny Thanks for the reply. Yes I had a master ecu new from bentley replaced and programmed at Bentley in New jersey. They are saying the car will not crank over. Prior to bringing it to them the car was running with a misfire. Any input from you would be helpful. Or what should I look for in relation to programming ie ask for the printout from the programming? Thanks again Stephen Im located in westchester county new york."

Please have them be very clear, as so many use the term so loosely that one does not get the exact meaning of what the actual situation is, when they say " will not crank over", what exactly do they mean, to me and many others it means the starter does not engage and spin the engine, to others it means the starter is cranking over the engine, BUT the engine fails to fire up and continue to run, and as your engine was running although with a mis-fire, it was running, and therefore the starter was in working condition before the ECU swap, if is as what I think and the starter is not spinning the engine at all, maybe because of the KESSY IMMO locking out the starting of the engine, I would personally swap the original master ECU back in and see if the engine starts, I suggest you tell them to do the same, it would show if the fault is in the programming of the new ECU installation.

And yes they should give you a full scan report showing any faults, did they not give you any info as to the scan showing anything, or have they not scanned it for some reason ?

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 11-17-2018 at 04:55 PM. Reason: wording
Old 11-28-2018, 05:12 PM
Update on no start bentley

update
Hello Stephen,
Did the dealer replace the Master or the Slave ECU, also was this at a Bentley dealership, as the ECU's, the steering column, the KESSY module, and the key are all part of the Keyless Entry & Start System "KESSY", all these modules are tied together by coding and a SKC= secret key code.

Johnny
So I got the master ecu changed and programmed at the dealer. Now they are saying the motor could be damaged and may need new one. At that time I took my car home re assembled what they took apart and the car start and runs excellent till the 2 coil packs heated up and burned. What causes this? Also does anyone know how to remove injector plug? Thanks stephen.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 08-10-2021 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Fix QUOTE
Old 11-29-2018, 01:37 AM
steve.2.lowe is an unknown quantity at this point
To remove the injector plug you push the restraining clip with the arrow on it in the direction of the arrow until in clicks and locks then the plug will pull off. I will send a picture later as I have a bag full of the connectors. The clip is above the part number.

Injector plug locked

Injector plug unlocked

Last edited by steve.2.lowe; 11-29-2018 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:15 PM
Update

Hi Johnny I took the car out of the dealership and put back the intake and the car started right up. Ran for hours at idle. When I drove the car cylinder 7 and 9 coil on plug heated up and melted. So I replaced the coils and now the entire bank 2 has no spark ( the entire bank 2 is not working. ) what could be the solution to this problem. I checked all fuses ( all good). Thanks for your input. Steve
Okay, I see what happened, you somehow posted your reply in with the quote of me.

So you said "Hi Johnny Thanks for the reply. Yes I had a master ecu new from bentley replaced and programmed at Bentley in New jersey. They are saying the car will not crank over. Prior to bringing it to them the car was running with a misfire. Any input from you would be helpful. Or what should I look for in relation to programming ie ask for the printout from the programming? Thanks again Stephen Im located in westchester county new york."

Please have them be very clear, as so many use the term so loosely that one does not get the exact meaning of what the actual situation is, when they say " will not crank over", what exactly do they mean, to me and many others it means the starter does not engage and spin the engine, to others it means the starter is cranking over the engine, BUT the engine fails to fire up and continue to run, and as your engine was running although with a mis-fire, it was running, and therefore the starter was in working condition before the ECU swap, if is as what I think and the starter is not spinning the engine at all, maybe because of the KESSY IMMO locking out the starting of the engine, I would personally swap the original master ECU back in and see if the engine starts, I suggest you tell them to do the same, it would show if the fault is in the programming of the new ECU installation.

And yes they should give you a full scan report showing any faults, did they not give you any info as to the scan showing anything, or have they not scanned it for some reason ?

Johnny

Old 12-02-2018, 08:26 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Has a scan been done of the vehicle since the failure on bank 2? What is the mileage of this vehicle? What was the dealerships explanation as to why the engine was determined to be defective?

Removal of all the spark plugs is highly recommended. Spark plugs that have been in the vehicle beyond their service life can create excessive impedance leading to overheating of coil packs.

Each coil pack on bank 2 has to be tested to determine if its functional. Be careful not to buy parts thinking that the next one will be the fix . Only replace parts when testing indicates failure . Look online how to use an ohmmeter to test the individual coil packs.

Start with the easy steps before heading into more complicated analysis.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:30 PM
Hi ieapplebaum No scan was done on bank 2 ( dont have scan tool) although it was working prioe to the coils overheating) . Car has 23,623 miles. They claim water damage ( which I dont believe) and I changed all plugs with new ngk. Currently the car starts but only the bank 1 is firing . There is nothing on bank 2. Could it be a ruined ecu? Should I send it out for repair? Thank you very much for your input. Thanks steve

Old 12-03-2018, 12:53 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Before doing anything and spending unnecessary money. Check out online Ross Tech vcds. This is a scan system that Volkswagen Audi Bentley Etc. use. May I suggest that you invest in this. You will become very familiar with the computer controlled devices on your Bentley. A diagnosis such as required to determine what is a ailing your vehicle, this scan tool is invaluable. The check engine light is insufficient to diagnose a problem such as yours.

As for water damage is anti-freeze getting into the the cylinders? One would see either extremely clean spark plugs, or the anti-freeze reservoir discolored a dark color. Another area of antifreeze damage would be the engine oil being a creamy brown color. So, unless your car was in a flood, which would create other problems what do they mean by water damage? Are your footwells wet? Under the wiper shroud are electronics there is a possibility that water got into some? What I'm getting at is the water damage is either internal engine, flood damage, or water infiltration because certain body drain holes backed up and soiled one of the ecu's. Therefore back to the Ross Tech vcds that would highlight which ECU or which system has developed a fault.

Unless someone has had this specific problem it is unluckily that you will receive an easy solution. Good mechanics develop their skills with this type of challenge. Please avoid spending unnecessary dollars as I stated earlier. A good doctor relies on their instruments first and then their brains.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:30 PM
Administrator
Hello Stephen,
I believe you said earlier that the #1 ECU was corroded, as in it got wet and corroded, that's the only way that could happen, meaning it got wet, how are your cowl drains, does the fuse box to the left of the twin ECU's show any wetness, where the ECU plug ends (2 plug each ECU) cleaned of all corrosion, is the new #1 ECU still in the vehicle or did you put the original back in, what does ECU #2 and it's plugs look like?
I will see if I can find which ecu does which bank.

Johnny

Old 12-05-2018, 05:58 PM
Update

Hello Stephen,
I believe you said earlier that the #1 ECU was corroded, as in it got wet and corroded, that's the only way that could happen, meaning it got wet, how are your cowl drains, does the fuse box to the left of the twin ECU's show any wetness, where the ECU plug ends (2 plug each ECU) cleaned of all corrosion, is the new #1 ECU still in the vehicle or did you put the original back in, what does ECU #2 and it's p
lugs look like?
I will see if I can find which ecu does which bank.

Johnny
Hi Johnny the ecu plugs are all dry as well as fuse box. My current problem is # 7 and 9 coil packs melted from overheating and since replacing them now there is no fuel or spark on entire bank 1 side although car does run ( could be in limp mode. ) do you think ecu is fried? What is next step? Thanks steve

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 08-10-2021 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Fix QUOTE
Old 12-08-2018, 06:03 PM
Administrator
Hello Steve,
It's really hard to come up with an answer for you without hands on in your situation, I know you say the ecu plugs are dry, but are they clean, if the ecu was corroded, I would expect the plug ends to be also, causing a bad connection and so on, I believe you are about 70 miles from me, also Jason is on Long Island, I have the VAS 5054, and a Ross-Tech Laptop, I will have the 15th, 16th, and 17th off finally after working 7 days a week for I don't know how long, I was going to spend those days on the A8L W12 and the B GT, But I would take the ride to check out your problem.

You can PM me or call me.

Johnny
908-507-6357

Hi Johnny the ecu plugs are all dry as well as fuse box. My current problem is # 7 and 9 coil packs melted from overheating and since replacing them now there is no fuel or spark on entire bank 1 side although car does run ( could be in limp mode. ) do you think ecu is fried? What is next step? Thanks steve

Old 02-02-2019, 04:04 PM
Bentley running rough

I have a 2008 bentley GTC with 23k on it. Last month it started running rough. I checked the obd and had 12 codes. So I brought it to BENTLEY OF PARSSIPPANY ( they didnt know what was wrong) then brought car to BENTLEY OF EDISON ( they didnt know what was wrong). At this point im at a loss for words when the dealers cant figure out what the problem is. I was looking online on 6 speed and came across a post recommending JASON GIANETTI IN WEST BABYLON NY. I towed my car to him on a thursday and by friday morning he had my car running on all 12 cylinders. It turns out it was a corroded connector to the ecu of bank 2. I am RECOMMENDING JASON GIANETTI WITH 100% CONFIDENCE. TELL HIM STEVE FROM RYE RECOMMENDED HIM. GREAT GUY.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bentley GTC 2008 wont start