Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley GT 2004 serpentine belt change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 01:26 PM
Yoghurtshotgun will become famous soon enough
Bentley GT 2004 serpentine belt change

Hi guys
i bought a 2004 with a slight front end prang,wing headlight bumper but on inspection I noticed serpentine belt was cracked so figured whilst the front end was nearly off I will change it any tips on where to get one .also why are the parts so damn expensive I'm in the UK any help would be appreciated thanks

Old 01-03-2019, 02:04 PM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
You have two excellent sources for Bentley parts in the UK:
Scuderia Systems: https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/ (note: While they show USA, they are actually in the UK)
Flying Spares. https://www.flyingspares.com/?gclid=...xoCt2gQAvD_BwE

Old 01-03-2019, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by PMS
You have two excellent sources for Bentley parts in the UK:
Scuderia Systems: https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/ (note: While they show USA, they are actually in the UK)
Flying Spares. https://www.flyingspares.com/?gclid=...xoCt2gQAvD_BwE
Yea I have seen skudaria but think they are very overpriced I find it hard to fathom as to why the parts for a 2004 model are so expensive yet the 2017-18 are cheaper .£130 for a rubber belt seems rediculous I've got a supplier trying to source one atm as he says there are only a few places that actually make all the belts and he has access to them.im happy to pay a fair price but some prices are silly just because of the stamp they carry.thanks for your reply though

Old 01-03-2019, 02:46 PM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Brace yourself. As we say on this side of the pond: "you ain't seen nothing yet!!" Bentley ownership is not for the faint of wallet.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:12 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Agreed, some parts are more money if Bentley specific. Many parts eg.Volkswagon, Audi, Skoda or VAG, work on Bentleys. Homework required to cross reference.

The BGT serpentine belt is a unique piece. Ribbed on both sides, unlike conventional belts ribbed on one side.

In the US price is between 150 - 250 dollars.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
Agreed, some parts are more money if Bentley specific. Many parts eg.Volkswagon, Audi, Skoda or VAG, work on Bentleys. Homework required to cross reference.

The BGT serpentine belt is a unique piece. Ribbed on both sides, unlike conventional belts ribbed on one side.

In the US price is between 150 - 250 dollars.
Yea I've got one last avanue to check then I'll bite the bullet n buy it.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:57 AM
Well it just goes to show what you can find when you do your homework!! After buying a belt from the theiving sods flying spares I took the number off it (because it is printed on the belt which contacts the pulleys) seems I can source the belt for less than half price .I've got it now so I'll suck it up.then after Bentley looked at rear spoiler and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working I took the motor out dismantled end of motor and bushes had completely worn.checked flying spares again £300 for motor.checked number looks like they are widely used in most vehicles for sunroof motors bought one swapped over circuit board and plug and now have a working spoiler .parking sensors !! £70 plus cross reference it Skoda part works perfectly.it just amazes me how these companies think they can rip people off with their overpriced parts .I'm thinking of making an order of parts belts service parts and most common parts to fail and pass them on for a reasonable price .just goes to show use a bit is savvy and look about

Old 01-24-2019, 10:11 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Never been able to determine if the following vehicles have the same serpentine belt as BGT/C . Audi A8 W12 Quattro, Audi Allroad W12, Volkswagen Phantom W12 and others. Should they be interchangeable the cost is about $50 US

Old 01-25-2019, 12:26 AM
steve.2.lowe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Yoghurtshotgun
Well it just goes to show what you can find when you do your homework!! .parking sensors !! £70 plus cross reference it Skoda part works perfectly.it just amazes me how these companies think they can rip people off with their overpriced parts .
Do you have the Skoda part number for the parking sensors?

Old 01-25-2019, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by steve.2.lowe
Hi Steve I've not got the part to hand but if you can get the faulty one out it has three different serial numbers on it with the manufacturer tag next to each one I entered the Skoda one.if I'm at my garage later I will try and pull it and get you the number

Old 01-25-2019, 04:33 AM
Originally Posted by steve.2.lowe

Old 01-25-2019, 08:32 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
I've been comparing Serpentine belt layouts between the VW W12 and the Bentley W12. They appear to be identical. However, looking at the Audi belt layout, even though there are the same number of pulleys, the routing is very different. It is a good bet the VW belt and Bentley belt are the same. But I would not want to chance the Audi one.

Here are three images - first is the VW, followed by the Bentley, then the Audi. Not sure it will make much difference as I priced out the VW belt at a parts store and it is $170 USD.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:59 AM
Helpful photographs. While searching eBay, VW Phantom W12, there were some belts listed for $50 -$100. Worth evaluating.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:33 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Be careful on the $50 belts. I saw those too, but best I could tell, they are ribbed on only one side. So, they might meet the correct belt overall length, and might bolt up, but belts like those need smooth pulleys on the devices rotating in the opposite direction.

In my experience with some euro cars, turbo or SC layouts require a double sided belt; and NA versions of the same engine do not. If that is the case, the VW W12 might use a single sided belt where the Bentley version is double. That said, however, the belt on the VW does look double thick. Here is another VW engine pic.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:54 AM
So, after staring at a number of pics of serpentine belts (until my eyes hurt) I think I am finding a flaw in the belt compatibility theory. I cannot find very good pics of the Bentley engine except for the one I've posted. I just went through most of Johnny's pics too and none I could find showed the front belted up.

But, now when I look at the alternator position, I believe the Bentley alternator is mounted on different brackets than the VW and is positioned farther away which would make the Bentley belt longer than the VW.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bentley GT 2004 serpentine belt change