Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Help greatly appreciated..I’m confused

Old 02-20-2019, 08:00 PM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Help greatly appreciated..I’m confused

Ok I talked myself to doing the air struts and bought some Asus struts. Looking over the car and going through ALOT of threads as I know I have an air leaks with a vacuum line somewhere, I’m wondering now if I might have a updated version. I don’t know what shop I trust to do a smoke test on it. I only say that because I only seen 2 of these in my area so their not common. I might just have to take it to the VW/Audi dealership. But in the picture, is that the part that’s “updated”? Or might I have the lines running across the trans? It an 2006 but was built in 2005.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:24 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Vacuum line leak issue is different than the air pressure line leak to the struts. Separate systems.

The air struts are controlled by a pressure pump located in the rear. That pump is accessed by removing the rear under carriage cover.

Using soapy water spray the little lines above the struts and around the air struts looking for bubbles. That's how you find those leaks.

Your particular vehicle would have the vacuum lines above the transmission. Indeed some of the vacuum lines that leak originate in the area photographed. However, the lines that get repaired are not visible from that perspective they attache below that spaghetti bowl. Search online vacuum line leaks Bentley Continental YouTube. There are good videos. At least for now that is not related to the issue of air struts.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:50 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
Vacuum line leak issue is different than the air pressure line leak to the struts. Separate systems.

The air struts are controlled by a pressure pump located in the rear. That pump is accessed by removing the rear under carriage cover.

Using soapy water spray the little lines above the struts and around the air struts looking for bubbles. That's how you find those leaks.

Your particular vehicle would have the vacuum lines above the transmission. Indeed some of the vacuum lines that leak originate in the area photographed. However, the lines that get repaired are not visible from that perspective they attache below that spaghetti bowl. Search online vacuum line leaks Bentley Continental YouTube. There are good videos. At least for now that is not related to the issue of air struts.

Here's a diagram of the vacuum lines. For now that is not the problem.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:28 PM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Thanks for the reply. That should have been like a 2 part post...lol First part just informational talking and the second part the real question starting with talking about the leak. It was late and I thought I put a few spaces in between. My apologies.

Do you you know the location to plug into or steps one should use to do a smoke test?

Old 02-21-2019, 02:56 PM
Yes, can do when back at the shop w /pics.

Please provide information of symtoms of vacuum leak.

THX

Eric

Old 02-21-2019, 03:06 PM
Yes, can do when back at the shop w /pics.

Please provide information of symtoms of vacuum leak.

THX

Eric
I really can’t “tell” what symptoms might be. I have that Ross Tech software and ran it when I first bought the car because I had an check engine light. That was one of the codes that came up. I changed both batteries around 5 months ago. I’ll go run it again and post it.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:20 PM
The most obvious symptom is when pressing the brakes does the vacuum pump come on every time. Sometimes when accelerateing the vacuum pump comes on as well. Have you noticed this? The pump is located inside the front left wheel well

Old 02-21-2019, 04:50 PM
The most obvious symptom is when pressing the brakes does the vacuum pump come on every time. Sometimes when accelerateing the vacuum pump comes on as well. Have you noticed this? The pump is located inside the front left wheel well
Thanks, I'll check in the morning when I get off work. Here's the tech sheet I just done. I didn't clear any codes before I started.
I don't know how to attach it so you can just scroll. Sorry

Attached Files
Old 02-21-2019, 07:40 PM

Trouble codes p0445 and p0442 could be an indication of a vacuum leak behind the steering rack? Smoke testing will reveal the truth. In the meantime best to erase all the trouble codes and start over. The trouble code laundry list looks like a weak battery at one time.

Attached is a photograph of where to start the smoke test. This will involve removing the inner driver side wheel well shroud left side. The plastic line which will be removed from the vacuum pump is where the first smoke test will be conducted.
Leave all other lines connected.

From the area where you took pictures there are two 13 mm plastic lines. The line on the passenger side right side, disconnect it carefully from the round plastic one-way check valve. The one-way check valve should remain on the rear manifold connection. The 13 mm plastic tube should have no components connected to it. Please do not handle this 13 mm line carelessly, it will crack very easily behind the steering rack and definitely leak. These lines have become fragile over time. With the vacuum pump line reconnected, inject smoke down this 13 mm line. This test will reveal if there is a vacuum line leak that controls the EVAP system. Smoke riseing behind the steering rack indicates where that leak is. There is a metal junction behind the steering rack that contributes to the vacuum lines cracking.

There are factory oitiker clamps on the vacuum line junctures. When replacing the clamps either use fuel injection clamps or use oitiker clamps, not good to use standard radiator worm clamps. Oiteker clamps are available on eBay and Amazon.

There are other areas to smoke test, let's start with the above two.

Not sure on this but sometimes a loose gas cap can cause the same problem.

Eric

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 02-22-2019 at 02:32 AM.