6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   "Check brake lights" but lights are fine (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/429818-check-brake-lights-but-lights-fine.html)

British 03-20-2019 09:37 PM

"Check brake lights" but lights are fine

I just took delivery of my new-to-me 2005 Bentley. First thing I noticed on startup is "check brake lights" on the dash, along with the orange light inop symbol.

But then I got out and had someone step on the brakes, the brake lights work fine.

What's this all about? Is it a code to be reset, or a common issue? Haven't seen it on the forum.

Also, the radio is not good, did these come with good sound systems? I am planning on replacing it anyway, but I wonder how much of it is the speakers. I imagine some baller could have blown out the speakers (hence the "tinny" sound) but the car is in such nice shape I would be surprised? Do I need to change out the speakers as well as the radio (Ben-hur)?

British 03-20-2019 10:39 PM

Oops, I just figured this out. I didn't even notice that it was the third brake light that was out. I was only looking at the two tail lights.

And it was raining like crazy, I've even read all about this before I bought the car, the third light doesn't work in the rain in a whole lot of these. I suspect after it dries out, it will work. If not, I guess I got to debate doing it myself or spending $2,000.

Samhain 03-21-2019 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by British (Post 4772632)
Oops, I just figured this out. I didn't even notice that it was the third brake light that was out. I was only looking at the two tail lights.

And it was raining like crazy, I've even read all about this before I bought the car, the third light doesn't work in the rain in a whole lot of these. I suspect after it dries out, it will work. If not, I guess I got to debate doing it myself or spending $2,000.

I hear it's pretty involved as the rear window has to be removed. My selling dealer took mine for the same work to Steve Foley in Northbrook IL (I think we discussed them before) prior to delivery. I think it was like $1700.00.

1eapplebaum 03-21-2019 08:02 AM

There is a thread from (Zaos). He shows how he did the third brake light repair, saved money and did it without drama. I read it a year ago or more.

Johnny Hotspur GT 03-21-2019 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Samhain (Post 4772654)
I hear it's pretty involved as the rear window has to be removed. I think it was like $1700.00.

Not so, Bentley sells the replacement light as a unit to be installed without glass removal as Zaos did in his "How To" thread linked below.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ent-howto.html

EDIT: Sorry Eapplebaum I somehow missed your comment...

Rico.Adams 03-21-2019 10:50 AM

Wow $2000, thats steep. I had mine replaced a couple of months ago, got a new light from eBay for £290 and got my local Bentley guy to fit it in 2 hours & charged me £100 labour ...

Samhain 03-21-2019 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum (Post 4772662)
There is a thread from (Zaos). He shows how he did the third brake light repair, saved money and did it without drama. I read it a year ago or more.

Yikes. You guys are braver than me. :)

J doubleU 03-21-2019 07:03 PM

I had the same fault, got a new 3rd light from the dealer and performed the cut out operation of the old one. New one fits right in you just have to drop the headliner and fish the wires. A bit of sealant and your good. If you take your time anyone could do it with a little instruction. I thank it was less than $600.

British 03-28-2019 10:09 AM

I just watched the video on removing the headliner, that is a ton of work and clearly opens up a lot of room to damage clips and such. He was clearly taking it off a salvage vehicle, It would have been very interesting to see it get put back together. So my question is, can I get to the wires for the third brakelight without removing the whole headliner?

1eapplebaum 03-28-2019 10:29 AM

Look back on this thread Johnny Hotspur posted Zaos's explanation of how to do the job.

J doubleU 03-28-2019 11:02 AM

I didn't drop the whole headliner, just enough at the back to have access and enough room to solder and heat shrink the wires.

British 03-28-2019 06:39 PM

Just ran the codes, this is what came back regarding the third light:

01503 - Bulb for 3rd Brake Light (M25)

009 - Open or Short to Ground

This doesn't really tell me much, but maybe you guys will have some insight? Could it be the wires?

1eapplebaum 03-28-2019 06:58 PM

Probably just a bad third brake light open circuit.

Johnny Hotspur GT 03-28-2019 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum (Post 4774159)

+1, post a close up pic of your 3rd BL, you most likely will see fine cracks in the 3rd bl.......

British 03-29-2019 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum (Post 4774159)

?

I'm not sure what this means? I understand "open circuit", does this imply that it might just be the wires? Or does the LED bar itself actually go kaput?

Mechanic wants to see it before ordering parts, he says he's fixed both broken wires and bad lights.

thanks again for all the replies.