Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Disassembly of shifter trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 04:10 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Disassembly of shifter trim

Still sorting out some small stuff on my new (to me) 2005 GT. The first is the third brakelight, which I don't think I'm going to do myself, mostly because I know what the headliner will end up looking like when I'm done.

The second, I need some help with: the movable black plastic trim on the gearshift lever that accordions back and forth is missing three or four pieces. It looks fine when it's in gear, but when in Park, you can see down into the shifter mechanism.

How easy is it to get in there and replace it? It looks simple, unless it requires taking the whole transmission tunnel apart. It's not that big of a deal, but it is annoying when I park the car and see what I shouldn't be seeing.

And next: what's the trunk supposed to do? When I pop the trunk, it just moves up about three inches and then I have to press it the rest of the way up. But it stays up. Is this correct, or do I need new gas struts?

this is an amazing car.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:18 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello British,
As far as the trunk lid, you have a 2005, therefore no power lift, only pop and power pull down at the bottom.

As to the shifter gate slider, please be sure to be sitting down, here is a link, but alpine wants $395 for this black piece of plastic, I know I have seen others around much cheaper, be sure not to purchase one without the magnets as shown in pictures, those magnet active switches in the shifter, to change the slider you would lift the wood trim, remove the shifter ****, then unplug and lift the P,R,N,D plate assembly up and off the shifter, open it up and replace slider gate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bentley-Con...-/372104743733

Originally Posted by British
Still sorting out some small stuff on my new (to me) 2005 GT. The first is the third brakelight, which I don't think I'm going to do myself, mostly because I know what the headliner will end up looking like when I'm done.

The second, I need some help with: the movable black plastic trim on the gearshift lever that accordions back and forth is missing three or four pieces. It looks fine when it's in gear, but when in Park, you can see down into the shifter mechanism.

How easy is it to get in there and replace it? It looks simple, unless it requires taking the whole transmission tunnel apart. It's not that big of a deal, but it is annoying when I park the car and see what I shouldn't be seeing.

And next: what's the trunk supposed to do? When I pop the trunk, it just moves up about three inches and then I have to press it the rest of the way up. But it stays up. Is this correct, or do I need new gas struts?

this is an amazing car.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 03-26-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:56 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Thanks for all the help so far. These prices are lunacy. What does it take to lift the wood trim? Is it easy to figure out, or am I going to break some wood fiddling about?

Old 03-26-2019, 06:09 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Indeed Luke carries that piece, at Alpine performance in Hallandale Florida. I negotiated $250 last year. He also has a video how get the shift council apart . The shift cover is similar to Audi. Someone posted a few months ago the Audi part number. the Audi part is even cheaper, I seem to remember about $60.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:25 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
Thanks. I've looked through the threads extensively to keep from re-posting stuff, I didn't find this, I'll dig some more. I can't find anything online Audi-wise that looks anything like the Bentley cover, I hope I can turn up the part number. It's funny to think,"$250 sounds like a good deal" after looking at the Ebay ones

Old 03-26-2019, 06:35 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Here you go.part 4E1713187A. The threat is from November 2nd 2018. The poster was : JGhuman.

I've never figured out how to link an old post on a cell phone.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:23 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Old 03-28-2019, 09:33 AM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
I bought the $58 Audi part, it's coming from overseas, I'll let you know if it was a good call or not when it shows up. It sure looks identical. I doubt I'll get it earlier than a week or two.