6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   Vag Com Scanner (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/431309-vag-com-scanner.html)

therron4ou 05-13-2019 05:54 PM

Vag Com Scanner

What’s the most inexpensive go to all around Vag Com Scanner everybody’s using?

BWings 05-13-2019 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by therron4ou (Post 4782039)
What’s the most inexpensive go to all around Vag Com Scanner everybody’s using?

You're asking two questions in one and conflicting.

I think most would say they're using the VCDS by Ross-Tech, but not the most inexpensive.

The lower end tool (in terms of expense), but does a lot is the VAG V-checker (V-202).

I have both. The V202 is kept in the car for roadside emergency encounters.

But, the VCDS by Ross-Tech is all I ever use.

The V202 has never been out of its case, or connected up.....someday.....maybe.....

Samhain 05-14-2019 10:27 AM

VCDS - Hex-V2 for most I think.

British 05-14-2019 12:15 PM

Ross-Tech. Works good, lasts a long time.

therron4ou 05-14-2019 05:21 PM

Ended up buying an Ancel VD500 for $49 on amazon that’s specific to VW and Audi. Pretty happy with it, can reset service due and more in depth scan such as parking sensor, navigation, etc... than a typical OBD II scanner. Very happy with its capability for the money.

Engine 05-15-2019 07:49 AM

I always think it's strange how people will fork out huge amounts of money for a super nice car, and then risk it by plugging in a £5 cable. Stick with a nice original Ross-Tech and you can't go far wrong ;)

therron4ou 05-15-2019 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Engine (Post 4782265)
I always think it's strange how people will fork out huge amounts of money for a super nice car, and then risk it by plugging in a £5 cable. Stick with a nice original Ross-Tech and you can't go far wrong ;)

How is plugging a cheap scanner risking your cars ingegrity?

Engine 05-16-2019 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by therron4ou (Post 4782385)
How is plugging a cheap scanner risking your cars ingegrity?

How can you guarantee the integrity of your cheap VAG-COM clone? I'm not talking a standard OBD2 dongle. These are two different things. Modern Bentley's aren't going to work with the old K K-Line 409.1 Cables, so can't be used with the old fashioned serial<->USB hack which was a surprisingly stable method of 'faking' Ross-Tech's and was also cheap.

The cheap Ross-Tech clones that you see banded about are actual binary copies of an original cable, hence you can't guarantee the quality of the NAND flash, stability of the no-doubt flakey USB Driver, the interface itself, the coding maps etc. So when people say "what's the best cheapest VAG-COM"..... the best cheapest VAG-COM for your 80 grand Bentley, is definitely the brand new one from Ross-Tech.

Google "Audi RB8 DEF". Doesn't take a whole lot to brick one of those clusters even with a good cable.

1eapplebaum 05-16-2019 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Engine (Post 4782415)
How can you guarantee the integrity of your cheap VAG-COM clone? I'm not talking a standard OBD2 dongle. These are two different things. Modern Bentley's aren't going to work with the old K K-Line 409.1 Cables, so can't be used with the old fashioned serial<->USB hack which was a surprisingly stable method of 'faking' Ross-Tech's and was also stable.

The cheap Ross-Tech clones that you see banded about are actual binary copies of an original cable, hence you can't guarantee the quality of the NAND flash, stability of the no-doubt flakey USB Driver, the interface itself, the coding maps etc. So when people say "what's the best cheapest VAG-COM"..... the best cheapest VAG-COM for your 80 grand Bentley, is definitely the brand new one from Ross-Tech.

Google "Audi RB8 DEF". Doesn't take a whole lot to brick one of those clusters even with a good cable.

Agreed Ross Tech vcds is the way to go. $200 isn't a lot. One use pays for itself.

For the purpose of discussion, carrying a less expensive knock-offs for on the road scan seems reasonable. Would be interested if just using them as a scan tool can be problematic? Surely coding a dashboard or anything else with one of these knock-offs would be risky.

Engine 05-16-2019 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum (Post 4782428)
Agreed Ross Tech vcds is the way to go. $200 isn't a lot. One use pays for itself.

For the purpose of discussion, carrying a less expensive knock-offs for on the road scan seems reasonable. Would be interested if just using them as a scan tool can be problematic? Surely coding a dashboard or anything else with one of these knock-offs would be risky.

If only that was true.... :)

1eapplebaum 05-16-2019 09:55 AM

As the saying goes better safe than sorry.