Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Do you need to remove exhaust to change gearbox filter and oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 11:13 AM
Yoghurtshotgun will become famous soon enough
Do you need to remove exhaust to change gearbox filter and oil

Does anyone know if you have to remove exhaust to change gearbox filter and oil on a 2004 bgt

Old 06-03-2019, 11:27 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
No you do not need to. Find the appropriate size Torx bit with a 8 mm hex end . Use a box spanner, insert the Torx bit and squeeze it between the exhaust and the appropriate fastener. Was able to use an Audi filter which was less expensive than the Bentley. As you probably know there are a few tricks to getting the right quantity into the transmission. To ensure no problems capture all the fluid extracted and replaced with the exact same quantity.

This is a worthy project that gets neglected because of the illusion of lifetime transmission/ gearbox fluid.

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 06-03-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:43 AM
sirrichi is an unknown quantity at this point
And do not forget to reset the transmission via the shop-computer (adaption values on english perhaps?!). My transmission is like new again after that.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:56 AM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sirrichi
And do not forget to reset the transmission via the shop-computer (adaption values on english perhaps?!). My transmission is like new again after that.
Never heard of this reset. Can you give more insight on it?

Last edited by TeamJones1962; 06-04-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:00 AM
sirrichi is an unknown quantity at this point
The transmission is self adapting but with the time it can get a bit confused. My transmission for example worked perfectly but there was a very minor jerk when it shifted from 4-5 at low speeds. The diagnostics at the shop got into the transmission system and deleted the adaption values, so the transmission thought it was brand new and was adapting to the drive style again. Jerk is gone :-) .

Old 06-04-2019, 09:29 AM
I've not long had the car so have inherited all the previous owners neglect so am going through it with a fine tooth comb.i always change gearbox oil on automatics as like you said people believe that lifelong means lifelong a filter is a must too.ive not yet bought the filter would you have a link to the one you used? I'm gonna get it done in a transmission shop as they will pump out the oil from converter too .I don't have a diagnostic to reset trans most I've used won't recognise the gearbox is it only Bentley specific diagnostic that will do this?

Old 06-04-2019, 10:15 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
I'll dig up the filter part number later today.

The only fluid I would use in the system is ZF lifeguard fluid. Part# 11023055D13310, this is the factory fill product. There are many claims that other products work. Not worth the chance of messing things up

Ross Tech vcds is what everybody safely uses There is probably a field in the Ross Tech that connects with the transmission module. More than likely once the fluid is changed your vehicle will be fine,. Depending how the shop takes the transmission temperature, there shouldn't be any changes to adaptation, that should not modify anything in the transmission.

The fill quantity is very sensitive on this gearbox. The combination of knowing exactly how much fluid was extracted and then knowing the temperature of the system when doing the measurement is essential. As you may be aware there is no dipstick on this transmission. The fluid is injected from the transmission pan under the car.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
I'll dig up the filter part number later today.

The only fluid I would use in the system is ZF lifeguard fluid. Part# 11023055D13310, this is the factory fill product. There are many claims that other products work. Not worth the chance of messing things up

Ross Tech vcds is what everybody safely uses There is probably a field in the Ross Tech that connects with the transmission module. More than likely once the fluid is changed your vehicle will be fine,. Depending how the shop takes the transmission temperature, there shouldn't be any changes to adaptation, that should not modify anything in the transmission.

The fill quantity is very sensitive on this gearbox. The combination of knowing exactly how much fluid was extracted and then knowing the temperature of the system when doing the measurement is essential. As you may be aware there is no dipstick on this transmission. The fluid is injected from the transmission pan under the car.
Thanks mate I will pass this info on to the shop they're quite well established but always worth mentioning thanks

Old 06-04-2019, 01:22 PM
The transmission filter number (I don't remember manufacturer) :TT 15 B1. The Audi part number 09 E325429 and the ZF number ZF 09 E325429. As I remember this filter is for a 2006 Audi Quattro W12.

Also the orange o ring at the top of the filter tube tends to stick inside the transmission make sure they pull it out before they shove another filter in.😉

So this filter fit my Bentley hopefully it will fit yours. The early Bentley use a different filter than the later ones.