Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

What size for 22 inch wheels for 2015 Flying Spur?

Old 06-17-2019, 02:14 PM
gabe325 is on a distinguished road
What size for 22 inch wheels for 2015 Flying Spur?

I had new wheels made from vossen. But the recommended sizes aren’t being recommended by my tire dealer as they don’t meet the load for that heave of a car. Anyone have 22’s on a similar size car? Any suggestions? Fronts are 22X9’s and rears are 22X10.5’s

any help would be appreciated

Old 06-17-2019, 05:13 PM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Hi Gabe 325,

I cannot help you with a selection of tires that will meet the spec, but something else caught my eye.

You might have potential problems with staggered width sizes. Staggered widths mean that you will have different rolling circumferences. In other words, one set of axles will be turning at a higher RPM than the other set. Continentals are FTAWD. The front axles are constantly driven as the rear axles are via a jack shaft off the transmission. With an arrangement like this, the drivetrain design looks for a "square" wheel setup front to back; side to side. Running different rolling circumferences can cause AH, TC or ABS issues, or all of those. Along with this you could be constantly activating slip clutches that are designed to active only in severe situations such as sharp turns, hard braking, etc.

Just a caution. If you're going forward with these wheel sizes, keep an eye out for these faults, especially ABS.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:09 PM
gabe325 is on a distinguished road
Thank you

Because you make a good point and it’s almost more problematic to put those wheels on then it is just to keep them off

Old 06-18-2019, 07:49 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
You could check what tires are being used on the 2020 Flying Spur. They have 22” wheels.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:55 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Check out TireRack they have 22” tires listed for the 2019 Continental GT including the OEM Tire. The 22” tire option was a staggered set. The 22” was an optional size tire for the 2019 GT.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:55 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Gene G
Check out TireRack they have 22” tires listed for the 2019 Continental GT including the OEM Tire. The 22” tire option was a staggered set. The 22” was an optional size tire for the 2019 GT.
The problem here is the 2019 up uses a very different drive platform. The older versions use a constant 60/40 torque split which can vary in a range depending on wheel slip.

In 2019, the platform changed to a rear wheel default with up to a 38% torque dist to the front wheels only when slippage is detected. So, on the newest platforms you could get away with staggered wheel circumferences.

You can always chance it. Those I've run into with staggered wheels described ABS fault light coming on in certain braking situations such as braking in turns. If the wider wheels are important enough, you can just try it (I almost did, but decided against it).

Any tire with the same size wheels, but in different widths will also have different rolling circumferences. I've chosen two 22s as an example and plugged them into a tire calculator. These would accommodate a 9" and a 10.5" wheel width. You can see one axle will roll 3.6% more Revolutions than the other set. The question becomes, what is the AH/TC/ABS threshold? In other words, at what point (% delta) does the DMS think it is detecting a slip? At some point, if the difference is great enough to exceed the threshold, then AH/TC would be constantly active, but system design will set a fault after a little time since the design wouldn't include an option for a constant slide at varying speeds.

In the case above...oddly enough, it would be the rear wheel that is the smaller diameter, yet wider....and assuming you would put the wider wheel on the rear.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:35 PM
I understand the caution about the difference in diameter. According to the listing for Pirelli P Zero PZ 4

Original equipment size.

275/35/ZR22 29.6” diameter. 703 revolutions per mile

315/30/ZR22 29.5” diameter 704 revolutions per mile

i would not have a worry about using these size tires. One revolution per mile is well within the specs.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:50 PM
These are good choices. That difference wouldn't worry me either.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:26 PM
Randy V is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gene G
I understand the caution about the difference in diameter. According to the listing for Pirelli P Zero PZ 4

Original equipment size.

275/35/ZR22 29.6” diameter. 703 revolutions per mile

315/30/ZR22 29.5” diameter 704 revolutions per mile

i would not have a worry about using these size tires. One revolution per mile is well within the specs.
Exactly. Tire width differences as with staggered wheels is not the concern, it's the outer diameter that is important to be matched.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:07 PM
Roman615 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Randy V
Exactly. Tire width differences as with staggered wheels is not the concern, it's the outer diameter that is important to be matched.
I have 255/30/22 and 305/25/22 on mine. The brand is Lexani and they have performed extremely well.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Roman615
I have 255/30/22 and 305/25/22 on mine. The brand is Lexani and they have performed extremely well.
Not sure or commenting about the brand, but those tire sizes you've picked are perfect for staggered widths. There is 0% delta in rolling circumferences. Good choice on sizes!

Old 06-24-2019, 07:05 PM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Do do you have any pictures of your setup? I would love to see it.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:56 PM
Roman615 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by TeamJones1962
Do do you have any pictures of your setup? I would love to see it.

Tire brand is personal preference I suppose but these have been great on my car. The load rating was obviously important and they handle it with no problem.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:42 PM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of

Tire brand is personal preference I suppose but these have been great on my car. The load rating was obviously important and they handle it with no problem.
Nice 🤤