Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Changed both batteries now brake light is on and will not allow car to drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 10:57 AM
Xa Zen is on a distinguished road
Those are good details on how to jump the car because I’m sure that’s where I screwed up at from the beginning! So the mechanic came and change the fuse reset the computer and the only problem now is the brake won’t release. He said he has to lift the car and release the something on the calibers manually. Let me copy and paste his response.
Mechanic Response
Ok I see what u sayin my Audi did that I had to go and put power to the module to release them it’s the electric plug on the rear calipers have to be powered to released because the parking brake module is faulty it won’t allow the button to release it itself I can try n pull up with jack tomorrow n the power probe n release it.

Sounds like he knows exactly what he’s talking about. Other than that the car runs beautiful and back to normal. As soon as he does this last step I pray all is well. While he’s doing that he can throw the spare on for me so I can get a new tire in the front left. That new tire should get rid of the tire light. Last thing I need to do is change the battery in my key. Does anyone know where I can get a battery from for it? Is it ok not to go to the dealer for it?

Old 06-27-2019, 12:37 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Be careful installing a new tire on the car without replacing the other three based on the circumference of the tire. The tires have to be all the same circumference or damage will occur to the transmission. This is important and has been discussed recently on the form go back and check it out.

When jacking the car up make sure the guy puts it into the jack mode. That requires pressing the suspension and the ride height buttons in the vehicle at the same time until the light illuminates saying it's in jack mode. Check the owner's manual on this one.

Sometimes through vcds it's possible to manipulate the rear brake solenoids. This would avoid jacking the car up and tampering with the electronics.

The battery in the key fob is a common hardware store battery. Take it out go to the store and they should have one.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:15 PM
Yoghurtshotgun will become famous soon enough
Like 1eapple said make sure he puts in jack mode as you could damage the suspension

Old 06-27-2019, 02:10 PM
@Yoghurtshotgun @1eapplebaum Ok guys so nosey me I went out to the car just now before the mechanic comes in a little while because I been reading everyone’s response for hours and other forums also. I went out to the car put gas in it because it was super low. Sit in the car close the doors put the key In and start the car. Hold my foot on the brake and hold the Brake button down for a few secs. Let it go put the car in reverse and BOOM the car reverses! Put it in drive the car goes forward. Soooo apparently yesterday when he reset everything the brake disabled. I wasn’t sure because they didn’t try to drive it because of the flat tire. And he texted me and said the car is ready to drive. I said ready to drive???But when I went to it last night the light was still on so I assumed the problem still existed and the car wouldn’t drive! So nowwww reFerring back to the forums again.... maybe now all I have to do is drive the car for a few minutes and the light might go off like someone said earlier last week! So.. now about the tire change... I have to make sure it’s in jack mode? I read all about that and I know how important it is. I wonder if the car will go into jack mode without it being driven first to reset the system right now? But it cant be driven cause the tire is super flat like completely, and I dnt want to damage the rim. Ah man I’m almost at the end and I’m still running into confusion because Everyone brought to my attention the damage I can cause not taking specific measures. Sorry guys please give me some more advice on how to do this tire now

Old 06-27-2019, 02:20 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Jack mode is for jacking up the car so don't worry about it if you're not doing that.

The outside tire dimension should be the same on all four tires. Putting a new tire in with a set of old tires the diameter outside the tire is slightly different and is not advisable. Even though the new tire is the same brand with the same markings on the sidewall it will be a different diameter due to wear on the other three tires. Others may have opinions on this. This has been the take away from reading similar posts on the forum.

Perhaps if the tires show very little wear then buying the same brand and tire dimension may be okay. Furthermore what is the reasoning for not having the tire repaired ?

Good news that the car is now drivable.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Xa Zen
@Yoghurtshotgun @1eapplebaum Ok guys so nosey me I went out to the car just now before the mechanic comes in a little while because I been reading everyone’s response for hours and other forums also. I went out to the car put gas in it because it was super low. Sit in the car close the doors put the key In and start the car. Hold my foot on the brake and hold the Brake button down for a few secs. Let it go put the car in reverse and BOOM the car reverses! Put it in drive the car goes forward. Soooo apparently yesterday when he reset everything the brake disabled. I wasn’t sure because they didn’t try to drive it because of the flat tire. And he texted me and said the car is ready to drive. I said ready to drive???But when I went to it last night the light was still on so I assumed the problem still existed and the car wouldn’t drive! So nowwww reFerring back to the forums again.... maybe now all I have to do is drive the car for a few minutes and the light might go off like someone said earlier last week! So.. now about the tire change... I have to make sure it’s in jack mode? I read all about that and I know how important it is. I wonder if the car will go into jack mode without it being driven first to reset the system right now? But it cant be driven cause the tire is super flat like completely, and I dnt want to damage the rim. Ah man I’m almost at the end and I’m still running into confusion because Everyone brought to my attention the damage I can cause not taking specific measures. Sorry guys please give me some more advice on how to do this tire now
Do you have the compressor in the trunk in the spare wheel well under the carpet? I would plug it in to the cigarette lighter and pump the tire up if it will hold air.(sorry didn't read about tyre issue in earlier post) if it does hold air leave it for a while and see how long it stays up.if it holds air for a while take it down the road and back even a few hundred yards will reset things

Old 06-27-2019, 03:15 PM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Old 06-27-2019, 03:32 PM
@1eapplebaum @Yoghurtshotgun Well there is like a slit in the tire on the outside of it so I assumed it couldn’t be repaired. I SHOULD KNOW BY NOW TO STOP WITH MY ASSUMPTIONS! But it has been flat for like 2 years just sitting. Either way I hope the car goes into jack mode. Do you think it’s safe to drive it to the end of the driveway even just for a few yards while the tire is completely flat? It’s literally sitting on the rim. Maybe I can consider putting air in it? So there’s a compressor in the trunk????? I know there’s a spare tire In there???? But a compressor? Does it come with the car? I know I may sound completely lost but honestly my x purchased the car for me and since we broke up I clearly been lost. I have lifted up the trunk floor recently a little and I notice the spare is in there but the compressor ... idk I’m lost. I’ll check now and see. But I know I need to drive the car a few yards just scared to do it with the tire so low

Old 06-27-2019, 03:43 PM
Best not to drive it on a flat tire at all. Take a picture of the slit, I think you'll find it doesn't hold air. Indeed the car comes with a compressor small but effective.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Xa Zen
@1eapplebaum @Yoghurtshotgun Well there is like a slit in the tire on the outside of it so I assumed it couldn’t be repaired. I SHOULD KNOW BY NOW TO STOP WITH MY ASSUMPTIONS! But it has been flat for like 2 years just sitting. Either way I hope the car goes into jack mode. Do you think it’s safe to drive it to the end of the driveway even just for a few yards while the tire is completely flat? It’s literally sitting on the rim. Maybe I can consider putting air in it? So there’s a compressor in the trunk????? I know there’s a spare tire In there???? But a compressor? Does it come with the car? I know I may sound completely lost but honestly my x purchased the car for me and since we broke up I clearly been lost. I have lifted up the trunk floor recently a little and I notice the spare is in there but the compressor ... idk I’m lost. I’ll check now and see. But I know I need to drive the car a few yards just scared to do it with the tire so low
If they're has a slit in it I doubt it would pump up and most certainly wouldn't drive it .if you have a neighbour ask them for a jack or to help you change your wheel to the spare in the trunk remember to out it in jack mode .I'm not with my car at the minute but if I remember correctly you hold the raise and lower button and the shock button down together and wait until it shows jack mode on the dials .jack it up remove wheel and either replace with spare or take the other to the garage .some tyre shops will do onsite repairs

Old 06-27-2019, 04:23 PM
Samhain is on a distinguished road
You broke up with a woman who bought you a Bentley?

Old 06-27-2019, 04:30 PM
There's a special 12 point socket that will remove the lug nut that doesn't resemble the other four. This attachment is in the trunk above the spare. Sometimes the previous owner has replaced this lug nut with a standard 17 mm lug nut, then it will not be necessary. This particular lug nut is an Anti-Theft measure. The lug nut I'm referring to is concave, 12-points and there is usually one on each wheel. Without the special tool the lug wrench won't remove this particular lug nut. The piece I am referring to is about 2in long has a 17 mm hex head on one side and a male12 point socket on the other end.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:15 PM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Samhain
You broke up with a woman who bought you a Bentley?
The OP is a female 🤣

Old 06-27-2019, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
There's a special 12 point socket that will remove the lug nut that doesn't resemble the other four. This attachment is in the trunk above the spare. Sometimes the previous owner has replaced this lug nut with a standard 17 mm lug nut, then it will not be necessary. This particular lug nut is an Anti-Theft measure. The lug nut I'm referring to is concave, 12-points and there is usually one on each wheel. Without the special tool the lug wrench won't remove this particular lug nut. The piece I am referring to is about 2in long has a 17 mm hex head on one side and a male12 point socket on the other end.
It should look like this

Old 06-27-2019, 07:09 PM
Ok the mechanic didn’t show up today so I will leave it alone tonight... I’m so tempted to go out there and change it myself But I may go out to the trunk and check the pieces. It’s getting dark but I got a picture. I know it looks bad guys! I told y’all it was bad bad. And the reason it’s dug into the dirt right now is because I drove it a inch back and an inch forward today, that’s when I Realized the brake was released. The light still didn’t go out but it drives back and forth! So the tire is shot shot . I’ll try the pump first and then just take it off go to a shop and get a tire. Now I’m worried to death that the balance isn’t going to be right. The other tires are very meaty I was told so this is my next battle. You can’t see the slit In the tire from the pic because of the new positioning since I moved it back and then forward.
And @Samhain Im a female 🤣

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Changed both batteries now brake light is on and will not allow car to drive