6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Bentley (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/)
-   -   Instrument Cluster (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley/432700-instrument-cluster.html)

broncoupe 07-12-2019 03:06 AM

Instrument Cluster

I have a RHD 2010 GT trying to remove the Instrument pack which has failed completely
I was told it just pulls out the wood trim to revel fixings
I just cannot remove the wood trim, the bottom will release
I have tried pushing panel back and forth trying to rock it.
Sprayed silicone on leather at top edge the top pins just wont let go, Really tried to pull it
Obviously I'm worried the panel will break or catch the leather at the top edge
any suggestions please

BWings 07-12-2019 04:45 AM

You need to release all four corners at the same time because the bezel has some pretty long guide pins besides the ones that hold it in place and those guide pins will bind if you only release the bottom two.

Here are a couple of pics. First shows the gauges with panel removed. The two release springs that are binding up are seen above either side of the two gauges. The second shows the back of the bezel. Note, both the bullet pins that fit into the spring fasteners, plus the longer guide pins.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...3fce8c1045.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...46498babe8.jpg

broncoupe 07-12-2019 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by broncoupe (Post 4790792)
I have a RHD 2010 GT trying to remove the Instrument pack which has failed completely
I was told it just pulls out the wood trim to revel fixings
I just cannot remove the wood trim, the bottom will release
I have tried pushing panel back and forth trying to rock it.
Sprayed silicone on leather at top edge the top pins just wont let go, Really tried to pull it
Obviously I'm worried the panel will break or catch the leather at the top edge
any suggestions please

Thanks for that info
did try that pulling so hard have blisters on my finger tips
tried pulling square and from the top
it just will not move

BWings 07-12-2019 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by broncoupe (Post 4790805)
Thanks for that info
did try that pulling so hard have blisters on my finger tips
tried pulling square and from the top
it just will not move

I think, under certain climate conditions and years' of age, these bullet pins might get rusted or corroded in place.

You might try pushing in the bottoms again, then try to break loose just the two top bullet pins. If you can do that, then snap the tops back in and see then if you might be able to pull all four straight out.

When I reassembled (all of the dash pieces) I lubricated all of the bullet pins with some silicone grease.

Good luck with it.

broncoupe 07-13-2019 04:46 AM

Hope this can help others
Problem I had was to remove panel when it was stuck you have to pull from the front towards you sat in drivers seat .
The only obvious places to pull from are the Speedo and Rev counter apertures
This in my case pulled the bottom out but the top stayed put
This creates a small gap between the facia trim panel and the instrument cluster
No amount of plastic trim tools pushed in this gap did anything
Searching my tool box I found a brutal looking snap-on trim tool made of metal thick and in a C shape
forced this in the gap No damage panel released
On closer look the bottom clip had bent also --will easily bend back to shape

joc44 07-13-2019 05:24 AM

HI, Have you checked your 3 fuses C00784, C00788, C00815.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...ed1c7cfe8c.png

broncoupe 07-13-2019 01:18 PM

Thank you for info
I had hoped it was a fuse but I checked all fuse boxes with a meter before I started .

joc44 07-14-2019 04:31 AM

HI, has the whole thing gone off or just the LCD's

broncoupe 07-14-2019 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by joc44 (Post 4791051)
HI, has the whole thing gone off or just the LCD's

The whole thing just like a blown fuse
so I have sent it off to Cartronix
will let you know what they say

joc44 07-15-2019 03:23 AM

Hi, they are £350 to repair plus £12.94 for the return postage. Just put a copy of the job form from the website in a box along with the cluster and send it in when you are ready, we will call for payment once the repair is complete and send it back next working day. Usually the day we receive your cluster is the day it is repaired.

--
Best Regards,

Richard Hamilton
Managing Director

Cartronix Cluster Repairs Ltd
Unit 20 The Parkwood Centre
Aston Road
Waterlooville
Hampshire
PO7 7HT

02392 265986

www.cartronix.co.uk

This is what they emailed me, i'm going to try something else first.

Rico.Adams 07-15-2019 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by joc44 (Post 4791166)
Hi, they are £350 to repair plus £12.94 for the return postage. Just put a copy of the job form from the website in a box along with the cluster and send it in when you are ready, we will call for payment once the repair is complete and send it back next working day. Usually the day we receive your cluster is the day it is repaired.

--
Best Regards,

Richard Hamilton
Managing Director

Cartronix Cluster Repairs Ltd
Unit 20 The Parkwood Centre
Aston Road
Waterlooville
Hampshire
PO7 7HT

02392 265986

www.cartronix.co.uk

This is what they emailed me, i'm going to try something else first.

Hi Joc44, Yah I posted this info re Cartronix on another post a couple of weeks ago, The repair they do is a fixed price regardless of what's wrong with it, only good thing is its garranteed for life ... Has the whole cluster failed or just the LCD screen as they do 2 kinds of repair, the whole thing or just the screen ...
Lol just found the post, it was your own post ...

broncoupe 07-15-2019 11:09 AM

I sent them the unit
let you know the outcome it is due back tomorrow

Rico.Adams 07-15-2019 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by broncoupe (Post 4791213)
I sent them the unit
let you know the outcome it is due back tomorrow

Cool ...

BWings 07-15-2019 11:18 AM

Guys, I am interested in the outcome of the repairs. broncoupe, looking forward to your followup!

Don't need anything right now, but this could be a valuable resource for future, even if it meant sending a unit overseas.

Thanks!

Steve

Rico.Adams 07-15-2019 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by BWings (Post 4791219)
Guys, I am interested in the outcome of the repairs. broncoupe, looking forward to your followup!

Don't need anything right now, but this could be a valuable resource for future, even if it meant sending a unit overseas.

Thanks!

Steve

Hello Mr Steve (BWings) It would be interesting to know what's failed if they give a detailed analysis then some of us electronic guys can do the fix ...