BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

My 335: Stock vs. Fabspeeed/PES Tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:50 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
My 335: Stock vs. Fabspeeed/PES Tuning

This past sat i went out to fabspeed as some of you know to run get my Fabspeed/PES Chip done.
As I said, Jeremy and Tony are awesome guys, straight forward and willing to answer any and all questions (and i usually have a lot of them).

First, we strapped the car on the dyno for a baseline (bone stock run). I only had 850 miles on the car. the results were as expected. 282 RWHP and 289 RWTQ...so once again, BMW def underrated this engine significantly!

Jeremy and Tony then installed the chip. There is no splicing or any kind of procedure like this to put the chip in. It uses the BMW OEM Factory plugs for the ECU and was quite easy. Just two lines into the ECU.

We then dynod the car again, and put down some great numbers. The car has since adapted and I can tell you there is even more power on tap than when we did the 'after' dyno.

The results of the dyno after the chip were VERY good. @5700 RPM, there is a 59 RWHP increase! TQ comes at you full blast at ~2300-2400 RPMs and pulls throughout mostly all the rev range. the hp builds very smoothly-the way it drives reminds me of the power delivery of a 996TT. Not as crushing force due to smaller turbos, but smooth and you can def feel the difference from the increased boost and it def throws you back in the seat.

The great thing is, these guys were able to keep things very similar to stock. the air/fuel ratio is exactly the same as stock, running leaner on the low to mid range and then running richer on the top end. there is no CEL light either.

I can say without a doubt, the gains are AMAZING and you def wont be dissapointed.

Here are the dyno graphs of stock vs chipped.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
~0218905.pdf (49.1 KB, 147 views)
Old 03-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Glad to hear you are happy with the car! When the car breaks in some more and when you want to do the exhaust we can strap the car on the dyno again to do some more runs

Old 03-18-2008, 09:22 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Jeremy@Fabspeed
Glad to hear you are happy with the car! When the car breaks in some more and when you want to do the exhaust we can strap the car on the dyno again to do some more runs
sound good to me! i will be giving you a call in a couple hours to discuss exhaust options.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:08 PM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
What were the SAE corrected numbers? The SSTT is a $500 chip that I have that gave me 50 rwhp and 52 rwhp pick-up over stock. The nice thing is that it simply plugs in to the TPMS sensor under the hood. It utilizes stock fuel/timing maps and is undetectable to the dealer. Total install/uninstall is 60 seconds. How is the install/uninstall of the unit you have??? Detectable by the dealer??? I was thinking about picking up this unit but for another 8-9 rwhp it's not worth it for me, especially considering the ease of use of the SSTT.

Congrats on the numbers, I LOVE my 335i!!!!

Peter

Old 03-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by houstonT
What were the SAE corrected numbers? The SSTT is a $500 chip that I have that gave me 50 rwhp and 52 rwhp pick-up over stock. The nice thing is that it simply plugs in to the TPMS sensor under the hood. It utilizes stock fuel/timing maps and is undetectable to the dealer. Total install/uninstall is 60 seconds. How is the install/uninstall of the unit you have??? Detectable by the dealer??? I was thinking about picking up this unit but for another 8-9 rwhp it's not worth it for me, especially considering the ease of use of the SSTT.

Congrats on the numbers, I LOVE my 335i!!!!

Peter
SAE Corrected numbers should be-331 rwhp and 326 rwtq. the car dyno'd a max of 337 RWHP and 335 RWTQ that day...those are the best from the 3 runs we did after the chip was installed.

acutally. i almost bought the SSTT...i also thought it was only 40 rwhp.

if you look at the attachement, at 5700 RPM, my gain is 59 RWHP! and this is all on a car that HAS NOT ADAPTED yet and we will be redyno'ing after a couple thousand miles to see further gains. so the gains are still a good amount more than your AVG SSTT (based on 40 RWHP).

this chip is also undetectable to the dealer, but it installs differently...i would say its a 10-15 minute procedure.

Last edited by PorscheC4; 03-18-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:58 PM
rooster3.0 is on a distinguished road
nice runs. No boost reading? I'll be going to do some dyno runs tomorrow with procede v2. That torque curve is just like stock, very nice . Numbers seem on par with most other piggys in that price range. Good luck with it.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by rooster3.0
nice runs. No boost reading? I'll be going to do some dyno runs tomorrow with procede v2. That torque curve is just like stock, very nice . Numbers seem on par with most other piggys in that price range. Good luck with it.
thanks.

no boost readings as far as i know, maybe Jeremy or Tony could chime in on this???

thats what i like about it. they have kept most of the characteristic stock (i.e. the way bmw intended them to be from the factory). so im happy. i CANNOT wait until i get a couple thousand miles on the car and then re-dyno, because i def see another 15-20 RWHP and RWTQ in the next dyno.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:41 PM
You should do a battery reset by disconnecting your negative terminal for one hour. I do this everytime i upload a new map or change hardware in the ecu. This will drain all power from any modules on the car and force the ecu to relearn everything. I remember them saying this was a 16-17 psi tune. By the numbers though, I'd guess it's more around 13 but, that's before full adaptation. How great is all that low down torque? Big difference from the M3 huh? No more shifting at 7500 though

Old 03-18-2008, 05:39 PM
You should do a battery reset by disconnecting your negative terminal for one hour. I do this everytime i upload a new map or change hardware in the ecu. This will drain all power from any modules on the car and force the ecu to relearn everything. I remember them saying this was a 16-17 psi tune. By the numbers though, I'd guess it's more around 13 but, that's before full adaptation. How great is all that low down torque? Big difference from the M3 huh? No more shifting at 7500 though
actually as far as boost goes...i asked and was told that boost is set to 15 psi, but you CAN get boost spikes of 16-17, but normal boost is 15 psi.
the torque down low is PHENOMENAL! my m3 revved to 8200 rpm, and it pulled hard from down low due to the 4.10 diff, but not this car. like i said, it reminds me of a 996TT.
also, i disconnected the ECU for 30 min, u think thats sufficient?

Old 03-18-2008, 05:50 PM
M3This has a spectacular aura aboutM3This has a spectacular aura aboutM3This has a spectacular aura about
is this a real "chip" or another piggyback ... you should post this info up on E90post.com

Old 03-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by M3This
is this a real "chip" or another piggyback ... you should post this info up on E90post.com
its a piggy back.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Jmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really nice
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
actually as far as boost goes...i asked and was told that boost is set to 15 psi, but you CAN get boost spikes of 16-17, but normal boost is 15 psi.
the torque down low is PHENOMENAL! my m3 revved to 8200 rpm, and it pulled hard from down low due to the 4.10 diff, but not this car. like i said, it reminds me of a 996TT.
also, i disconnected the ECU for 30 min, u think thats sufficient?
Intresting I think those numbers are really low. At the same boost I was making 385-390whp /430-435 wtq consistently. Even without exhaust and FMIC you should still be at about 355-360whp at that boost level.Heres my last dyno the tourqe line got messed up cause the dyno had a problem reading the RPMS for some reason but i Highlighted the max tourqe. This was done at 82 degree weather and was still adapting. My baseline was about 276whp/ 280 wtq from months prior though.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Jmoney; 03-18-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by Jmoney
Intresting I think those numbers are really low. At the same boost I was making 385-390whp /430-435 wtq consistently. Even without exhaust and FMIC you should still be at about 355-360whp at that boost level.Heres my last dyno the tourqe line got messed up cause the dyno had a problem reading the RPMS for some reason but i Highlighted the max tourqe. This was done at 82 degree weather and was still adapting. My baseline was about 276whp/ 280 wtq from months prior though.
i can def say the car is making more than it was today than it was last weekend as ive reset the ecu and it def has adapted...also as of right now, the car still only has 1220 miles on it...so once i can break it in further, itll be re-dynod, and im confident the power should be at least 350 rwhp/tq.
im thinking about picking up those dps from you.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by Jmoney
Was that done with a catless exhaust and dps? If so, i'd think that'd have alot to do with it. I haven't seen too many cars making 355whp with just a tune. I've seen a few, but not alot.

To the OP, I was told by my tech that a full hour is the right way to go. Also, i wouldn't even bother posting this on e90post, it's too much of a pissing contest over there. On another note, how was the your m3 on the highway with the 4.10? Aroud what rpm were you at doing 80 in sixth? We should get together sometime and compare our cars.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Was that done with a catless exhaust and dps? If so, i'd think that'd have alot to do with it. I haven't seen too many cars making 355whp with just a tune. I've seen a few, but not alot.

To the OP, I was told by my tech that a full hour is the right way to go. Also, i wouldn't even bother posting this on e90post, it's too much of a pissing contest over there. On another note, how was the your m3 on the highway with the 4.10? Aroud what rpm were you at doing 80 in sixth? We should get together sometime and compare our cars.
yea, i said **** it last night and left it off for just over an hour.

the m3 on the highway was a ****ing monster...at 80 mph, it was at like 3300 rpm if i remember correctly. 60 mph was 2700 rpm. it pulled extremely hard, especially 5K and above all the way to 8200.

i def wouldnt mind getting together to do some comparo runs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 335: Stock vs. Fabspeeed/PES Tuning