BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Caliper Painting... Cool or Tacky?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 06:18 PM
chpkorean has a spectacular aura aboutchpkorean has a spectacular aura aboutchpkorean has a spectacular aura about
Caliper Painting... Cool or Tacky?

Hey guys,

Wanted to know a few things

if you saw my thread about my Z4M
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=126352

I am thinking about painting the calipers red. I was wondering if anyone had put red calipers on their red z4 and if so did it come out good?

Also where does one go to get this service done? I contacted BMW they had no idea and they said they can't do it.

Thanks

Old 04-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Mr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to beholdMr.PS is a splendid one to behold
Welcome to the late 90's. Don't paint the calipers unless you have aftermarket brakes to show off, or they came painted from the factory. I personally like aftermarket brakes when they're painted to the match the vehicles paint. Stock calipers painted look tacky though.

Keep your wheels/brakes clean and leave it be.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:11 PM
RandomName is on a distinguished road
paint the calipers on a stock BMW to let the world that they come with floating (and some argue, inadequet) calipers from factory....

Old 04-21-2008, 02:47 AM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
My 03 e46 M3 stock brakes calipers started rusting and looked terrible - i was going to paint them black with high temperature caliper paint but sold the car shortly after and never got around to it...

if anything i would paint them black... nothing else though... its lame, black looks better then dull metal or rust

Old 04-21-2008, 09:57 AM
JFaraday is on a distinguished road
I think painting calipers black or silver is reasonable and tasteful, especially if they're rusting or peeling. However, painting them bright red or yellow is a bit tacky, unless it's something that is bright and exotic by nature. For example, bright yellow calipers on a Mercedes, not so much. Bright yellow calipers on a Gallardo, seems ok to me...

Old 04-21-2008, 10:12 AM
angman is on a distinguished road
I agree in that it really depends on the car. I would't touch my audi or BMW calipers but I recently did my Porsche Boxster in red. Looks great on the porsche but the calipers themselves need to be impressive enough to be painted. My stock Brembos weren't painted from the factory because I didn't buy a Boxster S. Now they look great.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Banned
CarChrisM5 is on a distinguished road
I agree with many of the above, if it comes stock painted you can leave it but on a BMW i would probably only paint it glossy black or something, no red, yellow or blue. But if you do Brembos red is acceptable, but i still dont think yellow or blue would look good on a bmw
hope that helps a little

Old 04-21-2008, 12:41 PM
SoCal97M3 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 996TTDave
My 03 e46 M3 stock brakes calipers started rusting and looked terrible - i was going to paint them black with high temperature caliper paint but sold the car shortly after and never got around to it...

if anything i would paint them black... nothing else though... its lame, black looks better then dull metal or rust
What he said...

Lots of threads about this on the other BMW sites. Stock calipers can be painted black...and MAYBE silver. That is it.

Most stock calipers are not 'styled' to look good like most BBK. The new 6-piston calipers on the 1-series do look good though, but they look like they come painted anyway.

I was debating doing the calipers on my M3 black or silver (to match the car), but you can hardly see them behind my M-Contour wheels, so I left them 'dirty'.

I would say paint them black, and leave it alone.

SoCal

Old 04-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
You can do it yourself....but if you're uncomfortable doing it and want to hire someone..........Most Porsche dealers (at least around here) have someone or can recomend someone who will do it for you. Newport Porsche quoted me $750.00...

Chris

Old 04-21-2008, 04:38 PM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
silver or black, no bright colors unless they are BBKs

Old 04-21-2008, 05:12 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
unless u have aftermarket brake kit otherwise leave the stock caliper as-is. they are ugly so if u paint them u'll just make them even more noticeable.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:54 PM
ferrari355fi is a splendid one to beholdferrari355fi is a splendid one to beholdferrari355fi is a splendid one to beholdferrari355fi is a splendid one to beholdferrari355fi is a splendid one to beholdferrari355fi is a splendid one to beholdferrari355fi is a splendid one to behold
could someone photoshop different colors onto the calipers? I would really like to see that.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:47 PM
NMZ
NMZ is on a distinguished road
tacky
unless u powder coat/professionally done / w fonts maybe>
please not in red

Old 04-22-2008, 05:22 PM
patman will become famous soon enoughpatman will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 20C4S
unless u have aftermarket brake kit otherwise leave the stock caliper as-is. they are ugly so if u paint them u'll just make them even more noticeable.
i agree as well.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Epacy is infamous around these partsEpacy is infamous around these parts
You can paint them, just use a non-flashy color. Black or silver should work.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Caliper Painting... Cool or Tacky?