BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

****Practice e92 M3 Shoot - need some advice and opinions plz!!!****

Old 12-06-2008, 04:57 PM
2APPS is on a distinguished road
great shots! what camera & lens?

Old 12-06-2008, 05:57 PM
j.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of light
thanks man, i was using my D300 with tokina 11-16mm

Old 12-07-2008, 01:25 AM
DrBobOh is on a distinguished road
Great pictures for first usage with off-camera lights; they can be really tricky. What settings were you shooting at? I could throw some tips your way if you lemme know what you were shooting at.

Off the top of my head I would say to keep your ISO down(since you are using good lights, no need for extra sensitive film speed); and try working with higher shutter speeds so you don't need a tripod.

Once you get the camera setup, it really comes down to how you use your lights. By using your lights, I'm referring to de-fusion, silks, gels etc.. That's how you can get some really nice soft tones around the curves of the car.

Dan

Old 12-07-2008, 10:56 AM
j.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of lightj.a.cadet is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by DrBobOh
Great pictures for first usage with off-camera lights; they can be really tricky. What settings were you shooting at? I could throw some tips your way if you lemme know what you were shooting at.

Off the top of my head I would say to keep your ISO down(since you are using good lights, no need for extra sensitive film speed); and try working with higher shutter speeds so you don't need a tripod.

Once you get the camera setup, it really comes down to how you use your lights. By using your lights, I'm referring to de-fusion, silks, gels etc.. That's how you can get some really nice soft tones around the curves of the car.

Dan
thanks you sir! i dont remember the exact settings (next time ill have to write them down) but i remember for the most part my aperture was at f8 and my shutter speed was around 80-150 i believe. the lights were at 1/2 power or maybe a bit lower. i was using the lights bear because i really have no idea what diffusers to get, there are so many offered by alien bee with no explanation to what they do so instead of buying the wrong thing i decided not to get any.

is there a certain type you would recommend? i plan to shoot mostly cars but i might get into portrait photography in the future.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:41 PM
weedoz is on a distinguished road
man its perfecto n' ur askin even!!...
cool mate Keep it up ;-)

Old 12-07-2008, 06:06 PM
casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
give us the details on the interior shot. looks great

Old 12-07-2008, 09:11 PM
if i remember correctly the lights were at 1/2 power and my cameras aperture was at either F8 or F11 with somewhere around 80-150 shutter speed

i had taken several shots of the interior and dont remember the exact settings of that particular shot.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:15 PM
DrBobOh is on a distinguished road
Look at getting some nice softboxes, those will soften up the light the best and make for some really nice reflections without casting too many(if any) shadows.

Look at diffusion like this:

They will rate them by the amount of the light that they stop down. ie: half stop - 5 stops of light. Does that make sense?

Like if you are normally shooting at F11, putting up a softbox COULD require you to shoot at F10 or F9 instead.

Dan

Old 12-08-2008, 09:37 AM
JT3
JT3 will become famous soon enoughJT3 will become famous soon enough
335ETR?

Interior shot is dope

Old 12-08-2008, 10:01 AM
smokinxtreme has a spectacular aura aboutsmokinxtreme has a spectacular aura about
Nice ride

Old 12-08-2008, 05:42 PM
thanks smokin!

Originally Posted by JT3
335ETR?

Interior shot is dope

haha my friend used to own a tuned 335 and had this plate on it. so when he got this car he didnt have enough time to change the plate lol.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by DrBobOh
Look at getting some nice softboxes, those will soften up the light the best and make for some really nice reflections without casting too many(if any) shadows.

Look at diffusion like this:

They will rate them by the amount of the light that they stop down. ie: half stop - 5 stops of light. Does that make sense?

Like if you are normally shooting at F11, putting up a softbox COULD require you to shoot at F10 or F9 instead.

Dan
thanks a lot for clearing that up dan! ill try convincing the parents to get them for me for christmas

Old 12-08-2008, 05:56 PM
AWD
AWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Pictures look awesome.

I wish the backround was different, like maybe in a studio, or with a different backdrop. Not in the entrance to a house. The interior shot would be so perfect if the reflection of some other cars taillights were out of the picture.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:34 PM
medo dali will become famous soon enough
nice and great

Old 12-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by AWD
Pictures look awesome.

I wish the backround was different, like maybe in a studio, or with a different backdrop. Not in the entrance to a house. The interior shot would be so perfect if the reflection of some other cars taillights were out of the picture.
thanks man!

like i said before, we were going to do this in a garage but we were kicked out right when we finished settings things up so out of frustration and no where else for us to go, due to the need of power outlets, we ended up going to my friends house which is still under construction. besides this was just a practice shoot.

those other lights are too my range rover sport s/c, no other place to park.

Originally Posted by medo dali
nice and great
thank you sir

Last edited by j.a.cadet; 12-09-2008 at 10:22 AM.